Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Logged into the game for first time in months.

1 hour ago, Jah said:

Heh, you suppose testing population would be higher if they didn't listen to feedback, and didn't try to make testing enjoyable for testers. I suppose it's a theory.

I think you're being a bit too binary (but I'd bank on it being intentionally obtuse). Listen or don't listen aren't the only two choices. Additionally, the feedback is not monolithic in the views presented. You also can't dismiss the fact that players leaving or no longer playing is another form of feedback.

Edited by BucDen
35 minutes ago, BucDen said:

I think you're being a bit too binary (but I'd bank on it being intentionally obtuse). Listen or don't listen aren't the only two choices. Additionally, the feedback is not monolithic in the views presented. You also can't dismiss the fact that players leaving or no longer playing is another form of feedback.

I never said anything resembling "listen or don't listen listen are the only two choices", that feedback is monolithic, or that players leaving or no longer playing is not a form of feedback. No idea where you got any of that.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

9 hours ago, Jah said:

Heh, you suppose testing population would be higher if they didn't listen to feedback, and didn't try to make testing enjoyable for testers. I suppose it's a theory.

I still stand by my claim that making the testing more enjoyable by changing core systems for a few to play 24/7 has indeed done damage to the games viability. If they would have stuck to original design then most systems could have had a chance to work together. With so many core changes nothing seems to be working together and the potential playerbase seems quite negative and absent. So much development time wasted developing then abandoning or radically changing so many core systems. This in turn caused other important systems to be delayed, canceled or just pushed past launch. 

1 minute ago, mystafyi said:

I still stand by my claim that making the testing more enjoyable by changing core systems for a few to play 24/7 has indeed done damage to the games viability. If they would have stuck to original design then most systems could have had a chance to work together. With so many core changes nothing seems to be working together and the potential playerbase seems quite negative and absent. So much development time wasted developing then abandoning or radically changing so many core systems. This in turn caused other important systems to be delayed, canceled or just pushed past launch. 

Which core systems were changed for a few to play 24/7? Can't see how that would be the reason for abandoning voxels, or removing passive training, or anything else for that matter?

All the changes I've seen were intended to make the game better, not cater to a small testing population.

IhhQKY6.gif

16 hours ago, Jah said:

6 hours ago, Jah said:

Which core systems were changed for a few to play 24/7? Can't see how that would be the reason for abandoning voxels, or removing passive training, or anything else for that matter?

All the changes I've seen were intended to make the game better, not cater to a small testing population.

I don't know how development works exactly, but I can't imagine it is overly efficient to build and support a game loop so players can play 24/7 when every single aspect of the game is still being worked on over time. JTC said he wouldn't do it like this again so guessing it isn't the most favored by devs.

How many times have they redone systems to make a more enjoyable experience now instead of long term?

Passive Training barely changed on the basic level but they redo the nodes, numbers, layout, options, etc multiple times. Now it is gone. Overall it was a complete waste to the final product and potentially could of been worked on at a later date and actually been worth trying.

Same goes for classes, promos, powers, passives, discs, stats, etc. "Wasting" time adjusting a random passive because it is OP in a particular meta during alpha seems like a "waste" of dev resources. They just redid so much and now the "real" balance pass is coming...

I liked the original combat goals with weight to fighting. Having slower more intentional attacks and reactions. Since the first draft wasn't a spam fest like every other game, that got frowned on and thrown out. Now we have barn wall hitboxes, raycasts with a reticle, "dodges," AOE and spam. Not to say the original version would of been great, but we'll never know because testers didn't like it so it had to go before most of the game existed. There are several "Combat Talks" they did that sounded great but what we have is not what was talked about IMO.

I won't pretend I know what would grow the population or make the game the "best" for whatever crowd, but it doesn't seem like the changes done to make the game better have exactly worked out as planned. I see a good amount of criticism from active long time supporters so it isn't like people still playing are eating it all up. When more games come along that weren't even known of 5 years ago, we'll see where such people end up.

1 hour ago, APE said:

I don't know how development works exactly, but I can't imagine it is overly efficient to build and support a game loop so players can play 24/7 when every single aspect of the game is still being worked on over time. JTC said he wouldn't do it like this again so guessing it isn't the most favored by devs.

How many times have they redone systems to make a more enjoyable experience now instead of long term?

Passive Training barely changed on the basic level but they redo the nodes, numbers, layout, options, etc multiple times. Now it is gone. Overall it was a complete waste to the final product and potentially could of been worked on at a later date and actually been worth trying.

Same goes for classes, promos, powers, passives, discs, stats, etc. "Wasting" time adjusting a random passive because it is OP in a particular meta during alpha seems like a "waste" of dev resources. They just redid so much and now the "real" balance pass is coming...

I liked the original combat goals with weight to fighting. Having slower more intentional attacks and reactions. Since the first draft wasn't a spam fest like every other game, that got frowned on and thrown out. Now we have barn wall hitboxes, raycasts with a reticle, "dodges," AOE and spam. Not to say the original version would of been great, but we'll never know because testers didn't like it so it had to go before most of the game existed. There are several "Combat Talks" they did that sounded great but what we have is not what was talked about IMO.

I won't pretend I know what would grow the population or make the game the "best" for whatever crowd, but it doesn't seem like the changes done to make the game better have exactly worked out as planned. I see a good amount of criticism from active long time supporters so it isn't like people still playing are eating it all up. When more games come along that weren't even known of 5 years ago, we'll see where such people end up.

Players (and yes, even testers) are mostly focused on what they perceive is good right now, even if it's bad long term. So features that they find to be unfun RIGHT Freakin NOW are reported as bad. When the devs don't stick to their original vision and bend to the requests of these testers, they may well get a 'game' that is more fun to test but won't be very much fun for very many players for very long.

I fear that ACE has made many changes that are short term good but long term bad. I think some of my guildmates  will try Crowfall at launch but won't still be around for more than 90 days. We had over 100 guildies that wanted to play cowfall, ~60 backed it and had access, some tested for YEARS, some stopped after a few days. Only 3 or 4 are still active.

Other guilds are on break from testing too. Some of these guilds will return to test an interesting build but I expect that many won't stay. Yes, part of this is cause folks would like to PLAY but don't enjoy testing. Some of them worry about burnout during years of testing. But, I think a lot of them find the game to be less fun than they expected.

Kloke

Shadowbane / Server: War / Guild: DHL / Thief: Yin / Scout: Plexiglassdragon

I only hopped in once or twice since I kickstarted and have not really followed development.

Is the premise of the game still based on various war zones you can jump into and can only leave when it ends? Depending on the level of the zone you can only bring certain items in and take only certain items out when your faction wins? 

What core principles have changed since the Kickstarter?

2 hours ago, Loinsworth said:

I only hopped in once or twice since I kickstarted and have not really followed development.

Is the premise of the game still based on various war zones you can jump into and can only leave when it ends? Depending on the level of the zone you can only bring certain items in and take only certain items out when your faction wins? 

What core principles have changed since the Kickstarter?

The 'various war zones' you are thinking of are called Campaign. A Campaign lasts for weeks or months even. You CAN leave early, before the campaign ends by unlocking your vessel from the campaign, you then have to option to EXPORT some of what you had equipped, was in your inventory, and in your campaign vault.

IMO, the biggest core feature change was the elimination of the passive skill tree.

macdeath_sig.png

On 1/18/2021 at 11:56 PM, MacDeath said:

The 'various war zones' you are thinking of are called Campaign. A Campaign lasts for weeks or months even. You CAN leave early, before the campaign ends by unlocking your vessel from the campaign, you then have to option to EXPORT some of what you had equipped, was in your inventory, and in your campaign vault.

IMO, the biggest core feature change was the elimination of the passive skill tree.

Thanks! I hopped into my EK last night and was messing around. Could not figure out how to climb up the walls I had built, lol. Will have to play around with it more... suspect I will need to craft ladders or something.