Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the point of Keeps on the infected server?


Recommended Posts

Sine infected is a place for newer players to "practice and learn" before moving into the end-game of campaigns, why not make keeps a focus and learning tool for them?

Would it make more sense to make specific keeps faction owned so new players can learn how buildings, sieges, and the basics of keep ownership works, with a regular season change/reset like campaign? Or at the very least, make seeds super cheap and accessible for new players to try out and experience.

How often does keep ownership in infected reset?

Are all the buildings (except for walls) pre-built and upgraded? Would it make more sense to have new players work on resource collection/building/upgrades so they are better prepared knowing how the end-game works?

Right now they are just empty points on the map that people only use to respawn and occasionally sell. I often see a new people ask about them, or get into the campaign and have absolutely no idea how they work and are forced to learn "the hard way" about running pigs and upgrading.

 

Why not implement some kind of tutorial into these parcels so people can actually learn what they do?

Edited by Brautigan
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MacDeath said:

@BrautiganGood suggestion.

Since I farmed a bunch of gold I cant use I'll probably plant a seed and see how it currently works. I just dont know if/how often they reset and what you can even do with them?

Depending on how it goes I might try and drum up some newbies and show them how to upgrade/build walls, do pig running and maybe even a siege?

Or it all just resets again.. heh.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets pray that the new lobby and NPE3 take this issue out at the knees.

God's Reach stays as the NPE. Each Faction would need enough islands to get closer to level cap, but ending in 2 PvP enabled islands shared between them. The first having faction locked keeps for tutorial purposes, and the final island having a single keep for a real taste of the end game. Easily multiplied with any traffic increases, and still serves as a solid tutorial post launch.

I'm almost worried that too many people in-game are missing the forest for the trees. I haven't been back long, but it seems to me that putting new players, testers, and people who think the game is live all on the same world is a terrible idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Paedrig said:

Lets pray that the new lobby and NPE3 take this issue out at the knees.

God's Reach stays as the NPE. Each Faction would need enough islands to get closer to level cap, but ending in 2 PvP enabled islands shared between them. The first having faction locked keeps for tutorial purposes, and the final island having a single keep for a real taste of the end game. Easily multiplied with any traffic increases, and still serves as a solid tutorial post launch.

I'm almost worried that too many people in-game are missing the forest for the trees. I haven't been back long, but it seems to me that putting new players, testers, and people who think the game is live all on the same world is a terrible idea.

I just dont think a lot of new people are actually learning that stuff in the existing NPE, even though the second part is supposed to be. When I first got in a real campaign I realized "oh that's what the pigs are for!" when I helped someone to a run for materials to upgrade a building. Dragging a block of stuff into a barracks/table that doesnt get built didn't seem to get the point across to me and I'm sure I stopped actually reading the quests the second or third time through.

So having a training-wheels server where they would have a vested interest in building, upgrading, and defending/attacking keeps would sure make a lot more sense.

As it is now, infected is kind of empty and lifeless so those new players just jump straight into dregs. More than one of them have basically said "I dont know what I'm doing here" and wanted to leave after their first death or so. Very few actually go straight into a guild or try and make their way un-guilded, and I think that leaves a lot of them just to say "what now?" and log-off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Brautigan said:

As it is now, infected is kind of empty and lifeless so those new players just jump straight into dregs. More than one of them have basically said "I dont know what I'm doing here" and wanted to leave after their first death or so. Very few actually go straight into a guild or try and make their way un-guilded, and I think that leaves a lot of them just to say "what now?" and log-off.

I'd be interested to see that player data. I wonder how many people got stomped for being too close to an outpost by a party of people that actually have vessels, and never came back. Not to mention the people like me, sitting out an entire campaign after wasting import tickets on a low level character.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Paedrig said:

I'd be interested to see that player data. I wonder how many people got stomped for being too close to an outpost by a party of people that actually have vessels, and never came back. Not to mention the people like me, sitting out an entire campaign after wasting import tickets on a low level character.

A few campaigns back, I found a group of 4 players from a new guild attempting to take an outpost.

Since they were the only content I'd seen in the last hour, I decided to try my luck even though I would probably not get away with a 1v4. I did get away with it. I slaughtered them one by one as they spun around helplessly trying to figure out what was going on. I abused LoS and hopped up and down the outpost ladder a couple times. Disengaged, re-engaged. Put DoTs on them, etc.

At this point it was clear that they were brand new to the game in white vessels, possibly with starter weapons. I thought about letting up, but the damage was done. They were all dead except 1 stealther that ran away. Welp. At least it was some entertainment.

I chopped heads and my heart sank. Each of the new players had their entire inventory from the start of the NPE on their cairn, all imported: All their gold, all their bandages (including the really basic ones you make as part of the 1st or 2nd quest), all their dust, all their gear and spare disciplines.

I couldn't bring myself to take it. I left their stuff in the hopes they would come back for it and, having learned how the game works, maybe bank it next time... but they never returned.

I came back hours later and their cairns were still there with all their imported stuff.. haven't seen them since.

Edited by nihilsupernum
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nihilsupernum said:

A few campaigns back, I found a group of 4 players from a new guild attempting to take an outpost.

Since they were the only content I'd seen in the last hour, I decided to try my luck even though I would probably not get away with a 1v4. I did get away with it. I slaughtered them one by one as they spun around helplessly trying to figure out what was going on. I abused LoS and hopped up and down the outpost ladder a couple times. Disengaged, re-engaged. Put DoTs on them, etc.

At this point it was clear that they were brand new to the game in white vessels, possibly with starter weapons. I thought about letting up, but the damage was done. They were all dead except 1 stealther that ran away. Welp. At least it was some entertainment.

I chopped heads and my heart sank. Each of the new players had their entire inventory from the start of the NPE on their cairn, all imported: All their gold, all their bandages (including the really basic ones you make as part of the 1st or 2nd quest), all their dust, all their gear and spare disciplines.

I couldn't bring myself to take it. I left their stuff in the hopes they would come back for it and, having learned how the game works, maybe bank it next time... but they never returned.

I came back hours later and their cairns were still there with all their imported stuff.. haven't seen them since.

You're a monster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brautigan said:

You're a monster.

If it wasn't him it woulda been somebody.

 

Infected is really a pointless exercise without campaign progression and rewards. I get that they want to have a low risk "training wheels" map for pvp but the issue is that the PvP that goes on there has no context.

If Infested is supposed to teach people PvP, it also needs to teach them WHY to PvP. PvP just to loot people is pretty simple and intuitive. Literally a warning "you opponents can tak your stuff when you die" tells a player everything they need to know about it. Objective PvP on the other hand is a complex framework that is alien to new players who have just spent several hours doing fetch quests and grinding mobs.

Objective PvP in infested should really be THE focus in the absence of loot reward PvP, but for that to happen it needs to actually pay out. For THAT to happen Infected needs to be some form of real campaign, maybe accelerated or with very frequent windows to people can "get past" it in a day if they feel comfortable, but with real rewards attached to it that a new player might care about. For THAT to happen you'd have to implement the same faction scoring systems you need to handle 3 faction shadows campaigns.

Basically, you can't really fix infected without also implementing the core RvR functionality you need for shadows, as what is shadows but "infected with score and loot drops"

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

If Infested is supposed to teach people PvP, it also needs to teach them WHY to PvP.

THIS. Right here. I've lost track of how many times I've been jumped by a group of people while grinding mobs to level a new class. I used to just stand still and laugh at them in chat, but now I'm just waiting for the wipe so I can leave these kids in the dust.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Paedrig said:

THIS. Right here. I've lost track of how many times I've been jumped by a group of people while grinding mobs to level a new class. I used to just stand still and laugh at them in chat, but now I'm just waiting for the wipe so I can leave these kids in the dust.

i think you overestimate how powerful a vessel is

hoayaga2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Staff said:

i think you overestimate how powerful a vessel is

What do vessels have to do with 30+30vs18?

 

Scenario:

Pit Fighter meets Ranger, both at full health

Pit Fighter spends 80% of the fight either juking/circling the ranger, or smashing his CC'd body.

Ranger disengages, and nukes the pit fighter in maaaaybe 3-4 seconds.

 

Question:

What did the Pit Fighter overestimate?

Edited by Paedrig
counterpoint
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paedrig said:

What do vessels have to do with 30+30vs18?

 

Scenario:

Pit Fighter meets Ranger, both at full health

Pit Fighter spends 80% of the fight either juking/circling the ranger, or smashing his CC'd body.

Ranger disengages, and nukes the pit fighter in maaaaybe 3-4 seconds.

 

Question:

What did the Pit Fighter overestimate?

no ranger is going to nuke a pit fighter in 3-4 seconds, can i get a realistic scenario 

hoayaga2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Staff said:

no ranger is going to nuke a pit fighter in 3-4 seconds, can i get a realistic scenario 

I'm still curious as to what vessels have to do with a 2v1 situation

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paedrig said:

I'm still curious as to what vessels have to do with a 2v1 situation

A lot! Each vessel level up gives about 40% more stats, so a green is about 1.4 times as good as a white and a blue is TWICE as good as a white (1.4 x 1.4 = 2). Of course gear helps too and player skill / knowledge.

So 1 blue vessel should be able to handle 2 whites unless he picked a poor race / class / promo combo.

macdeath_sig.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Brautigan said:

Not sure what any of this has to do with infected keeps.

Absolutely nothing, just a bored troll, waiting for 6.4

14 minutes ago, Paedrig said:

I'm still curious as to what vessels have to do with a 2v1 situation

This was a rhetorical question, I have a terrible habit of engaging trolls.

4 minutes ago, MacDeath said:

A lot! Each vessel level up gives about 40% more stats, so a green is about 1.4 times as good as a white and a blue is TWICE as good as a white (1.4 x 1.4 = 2). Of course gear helps too and player skill / knowledge.

So 1 blue vessel should be able to handle 2 whites unless he picked a poor race / class / promo combo.

Trust me, I've learned the hard way. I want to turn this into a rant about that issue conflicting with one of the core concepts that brought me to CF in the first place, but I'm more curious to see if that even holds up after the attribute reset. With ACE aiming to make the stats 'crunchier' and vessels being the new level cap system, I hope there won't be as much of a gap.

Assuming equal skill, I'm not sure how I feel about white vessels having no shot 1v1 against blues, but that blue vessel should 100% NOT be 1v2'ing equal players in NPE gear

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paedrig said:

Assuming equal skill, I'm not sure how I feel about white vessels having no shot 1v1 against blues, but that blue vessel should 100% NOT be 1v2'ing equal players in NPE gear

Well, that's part of the problem isn't it? 'Skill' doesn't factor into Crowfall combat much. Build/Class/Stats matter quite a bit. Beyond that, it's mostly "point at other player and press buttons".

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nihilsupernum said:

Well, that's part of the problem isn't it? 'Skill' doesn't factor into Crowfall combat much. Build/Class/Stats matter quite a bit. Beyond that, it's mostly "point at other player and press buttons".

At the risk of sounding like a total fan boy, they still have time to fix those things. I'm pretty late to the roller coaster, and my Voxel wound is only a day or two old. That was the only reasoning that could keep me from absolutely hating the art style, so I'm forcing myself to stay positive for the time being.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...