Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gold farming issues and the curse of inventory management

This is a continuation of my previous feedback post here:

But in this post I will concentrate on discussing issues connected to farming gold, issues with inventory management and gear drop. I would also suggest a few ways of how to improve them to make players game experience more balanced and fun.

The experiment:

I've farmed tribe camps for gold for 30 minutes with the same character in different locations: DREGS in Graskull (which is the closest location to the sun temple), Infected D'Hathos (the first from the temple location), Infected Tiggs-Town (second location), and Infected Sky Point (farthest PVP location in Infected). Here are the results of this test:

Infected D'Hathos

Farm_30_minutes_Dhathos.png?width=1202&h

Infected Tiggs-Town

Farm_30_minutes_Tiggs_Town.png?width=120

Infected Sky Point

Farm_30_minutes_Sky_Point.png?width=1202

DREGS in Graskull

Farm_30_minutes_Dregs.png?width=1202&hei

Here are the conclusions I made after this experiment:

1. The gear drop is a WAY TOO PLENTIFUL. This is only 60% of my loot and I just burnt the other 40% because of the lack of inventory space.

2. Moreover, except the Dregs and Sky Point, gear dropped in D'Hathos and Tiggs town is an absolute trash and is just automatically sold to vendor in 99,9% of cases.

3. At the same time, such a plentiful gear drop creates an unnecessary and absolutely boring procedure of going back and forth to the bank to store this gear drop to sell it to a vendor later on when your bank will get full. Usually I have to do those trips to my EK or to the temple to sell that gear every 1.5 hours when I'm farming gold. It feels like this step is absolutely unnecessary, this trash gear drop is absolutely worthless, and the forced inventory management is absolutely boring and is just a waste of time. 

4. At the same time, when you simply pickup everything by pressing "G" and later sell that shi... stuff to a vendor, it boosts your gold farming by 40-50% overall. So you have to choose weather you want to sit in the camp and just wait for mobs to respawn or if you wanna do the boring inventory management stuff but progress faster. I usual choose the second option as it will leave me more time to do PVP and to progress faster. But it is a painful path I will tell you. Definitely not fun.

5. The amount of top-tier gear I can get in 30 minutes while farming gold is absolutely outrageous and kills the player-driven economy. At least, the gear and weapon crafting economy, as well as the cooking profession, for sure.

6. I am able to solo-kill all types of mobs and boss mobs, except only 1 - the druid boss cause it heals like hell when it reaches 30% health. This makes the game feel really unfinished and raw. The fact that I can just left-click heralds is just stupid. And this is fairly simple to do. It takes just a few times to practice how to do it before you are able to make it happen in 100% of cases. All bosses just stand still and stare at me (or sometimes they pretend that they attack me) while I punch them 1 gazillion times in their face. I even used my auto-clicker to kill bosses while I was watching Rick & Morty on my second monitor. This situation caused by the poor mob AI at its current state has nothing to do with fun or challenge at all. The mobs' AI needs to be deeply reworked before Crowfall release.

SUGGESTIONS:

1. Significantly reduce or entirely eliminate gear drop from mobs AND OUTPOSTS. It even makes no sense for me that mobs carry usable gear in their imaginary pockets. Increase the amount of gold yielded by mobs to compensate the amount of gold you could get if you sell their gear to vendor. Just streamline this process to kill the boredom and choredom and to leave more time to do the fun stuff.

2. Reduce the variety of sacrifice items to only 1 sac item type per mob type. That'll reduce the need to manage your inventory over and over again.

3. Remove or significantly reduce the amount of food and food ingredients dropped by mobs. The fact that you get plenty of food from mobs and shells kills the few remaining survival elements in Crowfall and this RIPs the cooking professions entirely. Before mobs had all the food in the world, we used to have people in guilds who specialized on cooking stuff for the guild and that how these people felt they were contributing to overall success. Yes, cooking was fun for a lot of players. We used to buy food from player owned vendors before. There were player-driven food stores... It was fun! But not anymore. Thus, please, let apples grow on trees, mushrooms be picked up from the ground only, let the meat tartars and other dishes to be cooked by players and not the ugly Urgus (aka Orcs) or even by the cute hamsters.

4. Create the exploration disciplines for gold farmers. Right now it is the most demanded profession and it does not have its progression line while all other professions have it. Make the Gold farming exploration discipline and belt to increase the amount of gold you receive.

5. Revamp gear and weapon crafting professions so that they would become great again. Increase the Experimentation 115 hard cap for all crafters.

The last, but not the least... the IDEA of how to change gear drop system:

Create instance spots / places of interest where players could get gear dropped and not only armor and weapons but also jewelries, vessels, harvesting tools and even crafting components. But make it RARE so that it won't flood the market and won't replace the crafting system itself.

For example, make the forge building or village where players could get gear and weapons by fighting strong mobs and each other to get control of it and to get the loot. Similar to the PVE/PVP instances in Albion. All the players and youtube influencers agree that this feature in Albion is unique and very interesting, it is the strongest feature in Albion actually.  Why not making the same type of content in Crowfall?!? That would have been a really good replacement for the current boring and even annoying gear drop system (from mobs and from OUTPOST CHESTS) that we have in Crowfall right now.

It could be forge instances / places, for example, for gear and weapons drop. It could be goblin lairs for jewelry drops, Undead Cemeteries for vessel drops... this will create a lot of content for hard-focused PVP players and would still let the player-driven economy function normally, as those instanced places of interest should entirely replace any other gear drop in the game and should be rare with a certain respawn timers so that PVPers would know when and where to go for it (where the action will be).

Any feedback on this post or any critique is very welcome. It is always interesting to read what people think.

@ACE-Tiggs @Tyrant @gothamgurl @thomasblair @jtoddcoleman @mdonley

Tyrant: you were too tough, they gave up. (10/15/2020)

2 hours ago, SAM_BUKA said:

All bosses just stand still and stare at me (or sometimes they pretend that they attack me) while I punch them 1 gazillion times in their face. I even used my auto-clicker to kill bosses while I was watching Rick & Morty on my second monitor. This situation caused by the poor mob AI at its current state has nothing to do with fun or challenge at all. The mobs' AI needs to be deeply reworked before Crowfall release.

Scripting mobs to make them more active will put quite a strain on performance. What will you tell the PvP players trying to fight each other running at 10FPS so you can have better PvE fights trying to fight the AI?

24 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Scripting mobs to make them more active will put quite a strain on performance. What will you tell the PvP players trying to fight each other running at 10FPS so you can have better PvE fights trying to fight the AI?

Do you think it should be like that then? Mobs should stay not that much better then trees in the forest when you are trying to kill them?

4 minutes ago, SAM_BUKA said:

Do you think it should be like that then? Mobs should stay not that much better then trees in the forest when you are trying to kill them?

No I dont, but we are not in a PvE game that would support better AI. WE ARE SPARTA! 

23 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

No I dont, but we are not in a PvE game that would support better AI. WE ARE SPARTA! 

LOL :)