Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you want a day and night cycle.

Day and Night cycle.  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a day and night cycle.

I think having weather and/or terrain effecting the combat would make things way more interesting. It would be another factor into deciding force makeup for a GvG or Siege fight.

Edited by gauis
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Voted yes.  I'd like weather that actually affects gameplay as well.

Having different effects from weather, boardgame/RTS style would be cool.  Such as if there were a foggy thunderstorm during a siege, the visibility limiting fog could be used strategically by either

The only thing we Canadians are afraid of is that the US will finally decide to deport Beiber back to us.  Also possibly that there will be a duct tape shortage, but that's more of a "when hell freeze

I voted yes, even though I'm in a different region but who said the time cycle had to be the same on the game, right? Also I would love it if we're going to have NPC's have times where there shop are opened and closed, would be so realistic, timed events, etc. I think it's a must IMO.

Yes, and I want it to mean more then just less light and more light. 

Night should be dark and scary with errie noises and lurking creatures.  "Bring friends when traveling through the woods at night, or your skin will surely decorate the landscape when the Oggidee-Boogide gets you."

Stuff like that would be great.

I voted yes, even though I'm in a different region but who said the time cycle had to be the same on the game, right? Also I would love it if we're going to have NPC's have times where there shop are opened and closed, would be so realistic, timed events, etc. I think it's a must IMO.

So people who can only play when they're closed are just screwed then?

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

Yes please? As well as weather. Not as just an effect though. Let it affect gameplay. Certain fighting styles such as melee and rogue work well at night where as ranged need daylight. In regards to weather, let the weather give different disadvantages to the different fighting classes. Ranged is affected by the wind, melee by muddy conditions, mages by the rain (dont want their concoctions to be altered by a little h20). And then there is climate. The people(races) from the north get boosts in snow and cold, vice versa for those for the south. Maybe im a dreamer but ive always thought this would add a new depth and difficulty in games that id love.

I think most games allow you to pick your time zone when you register.   And the games I have played with day and night do not follow MY day and night, they are on a much shorter cycle.  I could be on a few hours and cycle thru a full day.   As far as NPC shops , having them open and close is probably a little far fetched but would be cool IMO. Although isn't that how real life is?  You have to adjust to a particular merchants hours or find a different place to do business with if you can't get there when they are open.   As far as peoples schedules I do not know of ONE game that caters to one particular persons personal schedule.  They do maintenance when their traffic is slowest, I guess if that is when a particular person can play they are SOL on that close down time.   It's business and not personal.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I think most games allow you to pick your time zone when you register.   And the games I have played with day and night do not follow MY day and night, they are on a much shorter cycle.  I could be on a few hours and cycle thru a full day.   As far as NPC shops , having them open and close is probably a little far fetched but would be cool IMO. Although isn't that how real life is?  You have to adjust to a particular merchants hours or find a different place to do business with if you can't get there when they are open.   As far as peoples schedules I do not know of ONE game that caters to one particular persons personal schedule.  They do maintenance when their traffic is slowest, I guess if that is when a particular person can play they are SOL on that close down time.   It's business and not personal.

You misunderstood me.  I'm talking about those who play in different countries and time zones from the game's headquarters.  Let's suppose -- for the sake of argument -- that they were naively honest when indicating their time zone.  So they're not able to use the shops without playing in the middle of the night just because of where they live? How is that fair by any stretch of the imagination.  No, NPC shops should be 24/7 -- you know like many rl stores actually are.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

As long as we don't get a damn text box with slow scrolling text at every transition, or become werewolves in an attempt to revive a franchise on life support at night, I'm game. (Just waiting for someone to get those references)

Remember kids, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet!

You simply just gotta find time to get onto the game when something is available, or it would make traders have another customer in the game. Gotta think the big picture. I haven't seen any games do the whole closed NPC store before, without a trade system I would admit it wouldn't work, but this game would be an ideal fit to put in a trade system meaning you could easily get the item from someone else/friend hence it's an MMO you're going to have to make some friends.

I say heck ya bring on the night. But please make the switches longer than eye blinks. Someone suggested 2hr intervals and that sounds good to me. Oh and I like the weather suggestions quite a few mentioned too.

Night time needs to be so dark you need a torch to see... DF1 style. I'm tired of games that your shadows are just as prominent at night as they are in the day.

Yeah I'd rather not just have night for the sake of having a cycle. I want a reason to be unsure about going out at night rather than just admiring the nice graphics of the day vs night cycles.

lopuda47ee7.jpg

You misunderstood me.  I'm talking about those who play in different countries and time zones from the game's headquarters.  Let's suppose -- for the sake of argument -- that they were naively honest when indicating their time zone.  So they're not able to use the shops without playing in the middle of the night just because of where they live? How is that fair by any stretch of the imagination.  No, NPC shops should be 24/7 -- you know like many rl stores actually are.

You assume that the game's time would run in a 1:1 ratio to real time.  Most games that run a day/night cycle make it so that several days pass in the time that a single, real day passes. 

There is only one game that I know of that actually has time-restricted NPC tasks and such, and that is Mabinogi.  36 minutes of real time is how long a full day is in that game.  Even if it took an hour or two hours in this game for a full day cycle, it still should not negatively impact players in different time zones.

As for day/night features such as monsters being stronger/more aggressive and npc's closing shops, I am all in support of features done right.  I would only say that if monsters were made stronger at night, that the rewards be increased as well.

Some of my best memories are from Everquest when darkness truly meant that danger could be around the next corner.  It was hard to see unless I had a light source.  If I was in certain zones at night, the really bad beasties came out to feed.  Kithcor anyone?  Please give us night/day cycles.  Make them real again.

Night time needs to be so dark you need a torch to see... DF1 style. I'm tired of games that your shadows are just as prominent at night as they are in the day.

Mortal Online is almost like this. It used to be worse, but they "lightened it" a little. People are hard to spot until you are close to them. In dungeons, you have to have a torch, otherwise it is complete "Black Screen" darkness.

The cycles should not be realistic though. Spin day and Night in 2-3 hour increments.

A day Night cycle that matters tho, not one of these day night cycles that simply darken some zones but essentially still look like full bright daytime, calling something night just to say hay we have a night time is a joke, make the sucker dark enough that you cant see for miles as you can in day time, and make having a torch matter, or some form of light source.

Always makes me cringe when I walk the pathsways of WoW, Archeage or any other mmo with one and see all these cool settings with street lights and then night time comes and the damn lights are not actually needed, if its not dark enough to need them why waste pollygons on them in the first place.

So yeah PLEASE, make night time dark, just speed up the the time cycle so those afraid of the dark dont have to suffer it for 12 hours. think mine craft please.