Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Returning player - 6.4 thoughts so far.

6.4 is starting to make the game feel like a game, which is good. However I have a few things I think may be worthy of construction.

Progression - I like how it moves you from GR to infected, however I think this should be more seamless. To a newb it might not be entirely obvious they need to log out and change services. I'm trying to come at this thinking how a newb would, and I bet they would not only be confused on how to progress, but they also might be confused on how to make the server switch.

Infected progression - if you zone in before 18 the quests don't show and you continue off into infected, not realizing you need to hit 19, go BACK to the temple, collect the quests, and then go back into infected to pick up the continuing quests.  A newb might not realize this, and would continue onward, unsure of the need to go back and trigger the internal infected quests. So I would think the quest lines inside need to be completed and a guaranteed level before allowing infected zone in, or allow the quest pickups before 18. (I might be off on the level, but myself, and a friend both did this, and didn't realize it, and had to level up higher in infected, zone back out, grab the quests, zone back in, and grab more quests, progression seemed janky)

Infected Funnel - not a fan of the carebear infected funnel. I get it, you don't want complete ganking immediately, but it seems ridiculous to have what amounts of 2 safe zones or reasonably safe zones, then one packed zerg zone. At the very least the first infected zone should provide 'some' protection, but not complete protection, and that should end there IMO.

Also there should be portals (or is there?) to the different faction infected zones without long runs through them. Unless I am blind, I couldn't find them and it felt tedious and unnecessary having to run through them.

For infected I would propose something like DAOC's PVP area back when that launched. You have a large, central PVP area, with branches off closer and closer to each factions home with a variety of choke-points in the form of walls/gates between them with no rules, no holds barred PVP within those areas, but a higher risk vs reward as you approached closer and closer to the factions home area. This allowed people who like to gank, to find people to gank closer to those faction home bases, but allowed for pretty significant and exciting battles in the central contested areas.

Right now in Crowfall, infected seems not only pointless, but irrelevant and not thrilling. I get it, everyone is waiting for Dregs, but infected should at least have some decent content, ganking, and smaller scale PVP as well as larger PVP engagements at funnels. Something relevant to fight for might be beneficial as well. I constantly hear 'No Dregs so game is pointless right now' and don't really think that's the vision here, or is it? I'd probably design it more loosely around spokes and hub. With a central 'area', and spokes leading off to each faction with various chokepoints along the way to funnel battles, and only a very very limited 'safe' area where the tutorial ends, and the real game begins.

Loot vs Crafting - One of my best memories of the early launch of EQ was walking around in starter armor getting enough cash to contract with a player armorsmith to make me a suit of armor. It meant a lot, and was a gamechanger for me early on. It created an economy of crafters roaming around peddling their work. Since even lower end armor had a reasonable cost/profit factor there was always somewhat of a market for even the lowest end armor. Crafting wasn't about grinding up to the top as fast as possible because everything lower is trash nobody wants/needs. I feel that is missing from Crowfall. Mobs rain down loot blowing out the low level economy and entry crafters market to peddle their goods.

Auction House - I have to say it - I think the game needs a central marketplace and/or auction house.. I get the EK idea, but having to switch to 10 different EK's to find what I need is pretty time consuming and tedious. I understand due to the business model, the EK's need more of a purpose other than empty areas nobody cares about, and at some point there will be large marketplaces in specific EK's.

But I have a prediction - the EK system will prove to be flawed...

1) The majority of EK's will be empty and unused.

2) There will be only a couple of large mall-type EK's everyone congregates to and uses.

3) The system will largely be under utilized or completely not utilized by the vast majority of people.

Have you walked into most EKs? They're all basically empty, un-utilized, and pointless. I get it, the game hasn't launched, but I predict this will still be the case after launch.

What I would do is scrap the entire EK system, and create some large cities that are largely filled with NPC's and player owned shops and homes. This sounds drastic, but it would funnel everyone into large, interactive, vibrant cities with thriving economies, store fronts, housing, and lots of activity. Rather than throwing everyone off into empty EK's nobody cares about, or are fragmented to the point they all become underutilized.

That's about all for now. In close, I feel Crowfall has made remarkable progress but feels 'soulless' and 'lost'.. 

Edited by Crumb

1 hour ago, Crumb said:

EK Funnel - not a fan of the carebear EK funnel. I get it, you don't want complete ganking immediately, but it seems ridiculous to have what amounts of 2 safe zones or reasonably safe zones, then one packed zerg zone. At the very least the first EK zone should provide 'some' protection, but not complete protection, and that should end there IMO.

This is a neat idea, basically making the protection diminish as you get nearer to Sky Point. 

3 hours ago, Crumb said:

EK progression

I think you are talking about The Infected, and not EKs (aka Eternal Kingdoms). EKs are player-owned worlds with no mobs.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

5 hours ago, Crumb said:

But I have a prediction - the EK system will prove to be flawed...

1) The majority of EK's will be empty and unused.

2) There will be only a couple of large mall-type EK's everyone congregates to and uses.

3) The system will largely be under utilized or completely not utilized by the vast majority of people.

EK's were supposed to have free building and to be economic hubs. Sadly they neglected the economy and EK's to the point they both are dead.

Personally I think the issue with Crowfall right now is it feels directionless and somewhat soulless.

Infected is a mess IMO. Pushing everyone into a zerg zone seems counter intuitive.. The fights are basically 'Let's sit here, pile up people, then run out and fight them' and not at all in the spirit of games like DAOC and Shadowbane but more along the lines of the failed Warhammer Online.

I think EK's should be entirely scrapped. I predict right now that 90% of the EK's will be useless, empty, and without reason to go to them. A few will likely be nice vendor hubs, but that's about it. I think the vision of EK's were lost in translation, and probably should be tossed out. Just make a huge (or a few huge) cities, give people housing and store fronts in those, and drop the EK ideal altogether.

People want to be together, and interacting in a vibrant city. This is why temples are full of people and EK's are completely empty.

Crowfall doesn't feel 'compelling' in a great many ways right now and I fear if it is launched without compelling things (even in infected), it's probably going to crash and burn, and become a niche game.

Where are the big cities in the Kickstarter video like this? So far mob spawns are basically the same old clip and paste resources of the same exact abandoned village now filled with mobs.

https://ibb.co/WHXBDTb

Where's the 'King' and people having vassals of their own, and land grants?

https://ibb.co/brHbwkR

Where did the dynamic 'build anywhere' system go? It appeared like it was going to be like Shadowbane.

https://ibb.co/sCGyFkp

Where is this big dynamic, living city portrayed in the videos and on the crowfall website where everyone congregates, there are merchants, and tons of NPC's roaming around?

https://ibb.co/JyKSbkV

I feel like I ordered a nice deluxe hamburger at a higher end burger joint, but I am being delivered a small McDonalds Burger.

No offense please. But the more I look the more I am wondering - where's the beef?

On 2/24/2021 at 1:35 PM, Crumb said:

There will be only a couple of large mall-type EK's everyone congregates to and uses.

That's the intent of the design - for players to build the "big dynamic, living city portrayed in the videos and on the crowfall website where everyone congregates".  MMO cities designed by developers and populated by NPCs feels "soulless" to me. Players are the real soul of an mmo, and I hope CF continues to work toward that vision. I'm tired of playing solo mmos.

tiPrpwh.png

On 2/25/2021 at 8:38 AM, Alot said:

This is a neat idea, basically making the protection diminish as you get nearer to Sky Point. 

they debuff i think need changed a little to 25% AP/Hp penalty in first zone off skypoint then 50%ap and HP in the 2nd zone off skypoint.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

I feel, and do like your points, but why not this: Keep the EK system for those who want housing etc. NOW we also get an auction house. NOW instead of posting into the AH you post it on your store front in the EK which posts onto the AH this way when the people who run the EK log out, we still have access to their wares etc. Also we won't have to jump skip and hop across multiple EK's

Edited by Synoke
Added more information on idea

• 2 weeks later...