Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The community of this game.

I played/tested back in 2018 and game was very rough.  The game has made leaps and bounds and is actually coming along quite well.  Seems to have very solid patches and updates and im actually quite happy with the feel and look of game.

However the player base is just nasty/rude and seems to have a hierarchy going on that does not want to see player growth.  The amount of verbal vitriol i have heard in just 48 hours makes me dread actual possibility downing a player and have them rip me apart or lose to a player and have them rip me apart.

I know this anger is misplaced passion for a game that is very different then anything out on the market right now.  Because of that this game could have a very bright future.

I really want and hope people read this and take a step back and think how they can get one person interested in this developing game and perhaps be in their shoes and how would you like them to see the community in it.

Pubg a very established BG game one that is VERY competitive, has some very forward thinking community leaders chocotaco, hollywoodbob, halifax.  These people arnt sh!t talking there own player base.  They are inviting, the want the game to survive, they comment on how to improve, become better, make it a better game.  I think this game needs that more then ever.

Thanks for your time and the read.

Edited by Saladid
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I played/tested back in 2018 and game was very rough.  The game has made leaps and bounds and is actually coming along quite well.  Seems to have very solid patches and updates and im actually quite h

Are you being toxic in saying that? This community is FAR more toxic than Albion Online and it has a player base that is 15+ years older. It makes 0 sense.  From my experience, this game absolute

Huh, this community is pretty chill. Most of us have no problem helping up new players. The only case I have seen of Vets giving new players the cold shoulder is when said newbies come around thi

19 minutes ago, Saladid said:

Pubg a very established BG game one that is VERY competitive, has some very forward thinking community leaders chocotaco, hollywoodbob, halifax.  These people arnt sh!t talking there own player base.  They are inviting, the want the game to survive, they comment on how to improve, become better, make it a better game.  I think this game needs that more then ever.

Really PUBG compares? 

PUBG Subreddit Labelled As The Most Toxic Gaming Community Online (kotaku.com.au)

I would think so as it is very competitive much like this game.  It involves taking people out of the game.  Only one person can win.  They have a ladder system and ranking.  It was also a game bleeding players due to toxicity until games like CoD warzone, apex, and fortnite hit the scene.  and yes i do know arma 3 was the original but does not help in this context.

PUBG at release was a very fun BG game, it sored in popularity and had a great player base.  Then slowly the population turned, should i use the term (sweaty) it was no longer a have fun with friends game.  It was try hard win and if not you suck and are bad and if you didn't know that someone sure made you know,  other games (see above) and players fled in droves due to the ultra competitive and toxic player base these other games where perceived as more fun and light hearted and pubg was the hardcore BG player base game.

By that elitest mentality they lost so many (have fun) players to other titles, they lost there own community and then they (toxic players) themselves started leaving because it no longer was THE game.  Which in the end is kind of whats possibly saving it now, you still have bots now not all actual players in the game ( the game use to have 99 people but now its 60-40 players bots ) because the population was so hurt over all.  

but the player base that did stay was the player base the truly loves the game and its unique BG play ( long calms intense fire fights ). They are patching the bleeding now but the damage has been done

HERE IS THE PROBLEM HERE:
This game hasn't even gotten to the healthy player base for where the community is. 

Also this isn't comparing games its the communities.

Edited by Saladid

34 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

I am quite surprised that you think this community is toxic. 

Are you being toxic in saying that? This community is FAR more toxic than Albion Online and it has a player base that is 15+ years older. It makes 0 sense. 

From my experience, this game absolutely hates new players/competition unless they are absorbed into a pre existing zerg guild. Usually that zerg recruits people after a 20 v 1 initiation followed by "GF" in chat. When many people I know started this game we did not interpret GF as "Good Fight". It means get ____ to most players the way it is delivered. The people who join these guilds just want to do the same thing to new players, 20 v 1 followed by GF and these guilds grow. 

In UO at least we had anti PKs. This game is just filled with passive aggressive tension that seems a lot more like an adult version of 4-chan than an MMO. 

Edited by Parallel
2 hours ago, Parallel said:

Are you being toxic in saying that?

Not sure how to respond to this.

2 hours ago, Parallel said:

From my experience, this game absolutely hates new players/competition unless they are absorbed into a pre existing zerg guild.

I agree the game itself does encourage (almost requires) new players getting into a guild. This doesnt mean the players hate new players.

Saladid this is pretty much the reason i have branched out and set up a new guild as a safe space for others, the toxicity levels in this game are way to high,I played albion since release even though that game is way more political its has alot nicer community.I also think there should'nt be a general chat only a faction chat i don't want to read or see half of the nonsense people are typing especially the enemy factions. 

Huh, this community is pretty chill. Most of us have no problem helping up new players.

The only case I have seen of Vets giving new players the cold shoulder is when said newbies come around thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread. The number of players that are #1 on Albion, or on Eso, or wth has been increasing and they always think they know better. That is when the community stops helping them.

Other than that? Pretty awesome.

Im sure many of us would be curious about what your actual experience was. In my time back over the last few weeks this community has been incredibly receptive and helpful from what I have seen and experienced.

Many of us are always willing to help and answer questions. There's a few bad apples who like to be angsty but they really make up a very small portion of the active playerbase from what I've seen.

Welcome (back) to the forums.

8 hours ago, Saladid said:

I played/tested back in 2018 and game was very rough.  The game has made leaps and bounds and is actually coming along quite well.  Seems to have very solid patches and updates and im actually quite happy with the feel and look of game.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's a point which is often forgotten (or simply not known) by (a growing number of) people.

8 hours ago, Saladid said:

However the player base is just nasty/rude and seems to have a hierarchy going on that does not want to see player growth.  The amount of verbal vitriol i have heard in just 48 hours makes me dread actual possibility downing a player and have them rip me apart or lose to a player and have them rip me apart.

I know this anger is misplaced passion for a game that is very different then anything out on the market right now.  Because of that this game could have a very bright future.

Now, these are - in my opinion - several quite different things you are pointing at. I believe it might be wise to realize the differences. I will try to point out some of them:

• What one experiences in direct conversation with other testers, doesn't necessarily reflect the "base". I choose the word "base" because first of all, Crowfall still only provides a playtest-environment. It's not a game - it's a game in the making. Corresponding to the advanced state of the development, more and more joining people don't get that ... and believe (and allready act like) they are players, though. Which they might be in some understanding - but intent and environment won't really fit together in this case, causing several additional issues.
  • Judging a whole community on personal experiences within 48 hours, seems to be quite short-sighted in my personal opinion. It's just a snapshot. Snapshots can be good, or they can be bad. To develop a well edjucated opinion, I would, generally, suggest to apply a wider time-frame. And a wider sample. Like not just looking at the ingame chat, but also at the discord community, the forums - and not just consuming that, but trying to get behind the scene. You are already doing that with your posting here, so ... good job. ;)
  • Hierarchy might be a point for some (most?) people. I don't see this point necessarily being connected to not wanting to see player growth, though. This is mixing up two different points. Thpugh both may add issues to new players. Newer crows may be competitive (in behaviour) because they think they already have to proove themselves- the usual run-to-reach-the-peak. While old crows might be driven by the mindset that others have to go through the sufferings they experienced themselves, in order to be worthy to be heard out. And of course some of those old crows may act according to the fanboy-syndrom if anything negative is said about the game they put that much energy into. But, well, according to my experience, the latter group is so small that it won't really make any difference and the chance to meet one of those is, uh, quite small, soddasay. ;)

9 hours ago, Saladid said:

I really want and hope people read this and take a step back and think how they can get one person interested in this developing game and perhaps be in their shoes and how would you like them to see the community in it.

I am not very confident that those people you probably intended to adress with those words will actually take any advice like this at this point in their lives. I mean, it's a nice try - but ... seriously... nah. Still good that you said it, though, of course.

9 hours ago, Saladid said:

Pubg [...]

Well ... let's just forget about that for know, k? It won't lead to anything good. Too many triggers on that (and similar) bumpy roads. And most of them will distract from the issue here and now in Crowfall.

All of the above being said, as you can see from the replies so far, some people point out the high toxicity, others point out that there is none at all. And this pretty much meets reality - for Crowfall has both. Some people are driven away by - in their eyes - apparent toxicity. Others are awestruck by the - in their eyes - welcoming helpful and new-player- friendly mindset.

The truth is: At the momnet ... it depends. And the questions can't be thoroughly answered by a short view at this or that spot within the overall Crowfall community. For there have been changes in the dynamics all the time, since the very beginning. Crowfall IS a game based on competition and conflict. That's a fact. So those will alwas exist - and therefore it won't be a bad thing if they do - the later game will need it. But of course, this later game also needs an appropriate level of new-player-friendly mindset.

And this can be influenced. By everbody ... by conviction ... by spine ... by effort.

We just need to decide that we will take the time to do so.

At this point in time, many generations of Crows have done so, warranting that new Crows will land in an environment that will help and entice them to grow, despite the natural difficulties of this genre.

My questions to you are:

1. Do you blame the old Crows of taking a break after years and years of service and endless amounts of time and energy spent towards this goal for the community?

and

2. How much time and energy are "you" ~lookingateverybody~ willing to invest, to not just consume something you expect as a given, but to contribute into creating an environment you would like to dwell in?

Just asking. ;)

Have fun, good luck
Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg
EU-Support-Guild (no ingame management)
Join [CoR] (or any other guild) to get a 25% discount on the next game bundle you buy!
Join - Discord Channel 

I think after release you may see some interesting dynamics.  In Shadowbane, there was a guild leader whose avatar was named "King (Something)" something-or-other similar.  I believe it was Treachery server, but could have been Mourning.  Anyway, he actually ran his guild as: a) a medieval kingdom simulation; b) as a place for any new players to join, belong, train up and equip.  I wish I could remember his name, he was really unique.  His in-game wedding was actually attacked and the bride-to-be slain, which gives you a sense of how he wasn't excluded from the general mayhem.

There came a time when one of the nastier guilds baned his Kingdom.  Everyone thought he was toast, since his army, being composed of randoms and n00bs, wasn't known for fighting skill.  Lo and behold, many of the elite PVP guilds sent troops to his aid and helped him defeat the bane.  Not because they wanted to adopt his methods, but due to loyalty for when, as new players, his Kingdom was a place for them to get started.

The "community builder" type playstyles, whether focused on diplomacy, economics or just creating a social environment (for RPers or for people who just want to chill) are not easy paths.  The game will still likely be dominated by more anti-social styles.  But there is a place for community builders, if they don't mind taking the path less traveled, and in time they can become treasured parts of the scene.

6 hours ago, BarriaKarl said:

Huh, this community is pretty chill. Most of us have no problem helping up new players.

The only case I have seen of Vets giving new players the cold shoulder is when said newbies come around thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread. The number of players that are #1 on Albion, or on Eso, or wth has been increasing and they always think they know better. That is when the community stops helping them.

Other than that? Pretty awesome.

Says one of the most toxic members of the community, LOL 

Wait, so the group of people who took away the castle from the community by using gold they got from ripping off newbies and then going into general chat to brag about this fact, are now posting on the forums about the community being toxic? Y I K E S

This community has put together fully formed and admined tournaments (Crow Battles)

A newbie guild to help players grow (BEAR) then go to whatever guild they choose 

Live streams about crafting (Captain) to teach new players how it works

Crafting recipes made public and not kept to themselves (Phylor) that pretty much everyone uses and provides to new players

Constant You Tube video guides PER PATCH (CrusaderW) to keep new players up to date

Player builder (Don't know who made it but - Crowcaine.wiki) to help theorycraft with eachother in an easier way

When TRA showed up DIS invited them to do formed scrims and taught them how group PvP worked in CF. That same offer was extended multiple times to new guilds. 

Friday night Public fights in EK opened to everyone

This community is no where near the toxicity levels of a game like Albion. You get exactly what you give to this community. You come in being jerks to everyone and thats exactly what you'll get back. You come in like a normal decent human like ZZav did and look how it's treated him. Nothing but love for ZZav. 

Edited by Quig
4 hours ago, cemya said:

I think after release you may see some interesting dynamics.  In Shadowbane, there was a guild leader whose avatar was named "King (Something)" something-or-other similar.  I believe it was Treachery server, but could have been Mourning.  Anyway, he actually ran his guild as: a) a medieval kingdom simulation; b) as a place for any new players to join, belong, train up and equip.  I wish I could remember his name, he was really unique.  His in-game wedding was actually attacked and the bride-to-be slain, which gives you a sense of how he wasn't excluded from the general mayhem.

There came a time when one of the nastier guilds baned his Kingdom.  Everyone thought he was toast, since his army, being composed of randoms and n00bs, wasn't known for fighting skill.  Lo and behold, many of the elite PVP guilds sent troops to his aid and helped him defeat the bane.  Not because they wanted to adopt his methods, but due to loyalty for when, as new players, his Kingdom was a place for them to get started.

The "community builder" type playstyles, whether focused on diplomacy, economics or just creating a social environment (for RPers or for people who just want to chill) are not easy paths.  The game will still likely be dominated by more anti-social styles.  But there is a place for community builders, if they don't mind taking the path less traveled, and in time they can become treasured parts of the scene.

King Stephen......of Dragonscale.  I knew of him on Mourning.  His guild was very new player friendly, and I almost think his guild could have done a lot more, execpt his ambition was to help new players and not conquer all.

Your own history:

lUvvzPy.png

cognitive dissonance is unfortunately a real problem in the cf community, albion players coming here have consistently been the most toxic players in the game. the established guilds in the game have worked very hard to help fledgling guilds get off the ground yet fotm upstarts like you guys never cease to arrive, cause trouble, and fade away in a month, i suggest you guys work on yourselves before trying to get the people who actually have been pillars of the community to change for the worse.

hoayaga2.jpg

14 hours ago, mystafyi said:

The first replies to this thread are actually beyond ironic. Has anyone actually seen this guy post anything positive? Like can we just say it? Or is there some type of forum warrior agenda that pardons this behavior?

I'm really sorry for your first impressions of the community upon returning. I think it's crucial to hear perspectives like this of new and returning players to bring some of the louder, more toxic voices back to reality. Because you're right that it's mostly an issue of misplaced passion and I believe most of the players do want to see the game continue to grow and attract new crowds. I'm only going to speak on my own guild here but we are extremely welcoming and cordial to new players if you take the chance to hop in discord and get to know us. And as far as I know we do have access to a /ignore so don't forget to include that in your arsenal. Thanks for sharing and I wish you the best 🙂

23 minutes ago, Staff said:

cognitive dissonance is unfortunately a real problem in the cf community, albion players coming here have consistently been the most toxic players in the game. the established guilds in the game have worked very hard to help fledgling guilds get off the ground yet fotm upstarts like you guys never cease to arrive, cause trouble, and fade away in a month, i suggest you guys work on yourselves before trying to get the people who actually have been pillars of the community to change for the worse.

cognitive dissonance is unfortunately a real problem in the cf community, albion players coming here have consistently been the most toxic players in the game. the established guilds in the game have worked very hard to help fledgling guilds get off the ground yet fotm upstarts like you guys never cease to arrive, cause trouble, and fade away in a month, i suggest you guys work on yourselves before trying to get the people who actually have been pillars of the community to change for the worse.

47 minutes ago, Teufel said:

King Stephen......of Dragonscale.  I knew of him on Mourning.  His guild was very new player friendly, and I almost think his guild could have done a lot more, execpt his ambition was to help new players and not conquer all.

Your own history:

Thanks for reminding me, and also I should have known since it was in the history!  I never had dealings with King Stephen, but everyone knew him by reputation.  Once, our Shadowclan guild did a RP event at his castle where we were digging for a mythical "dragon scale" which just happened to be his last name.  It was a lot of fun.  I hope we see guild leaders like him in Crowfall.