Find results in...

"ACE Q&A Livestream March 2nd" discussion

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bringing Hunger Dome back pretty much saves Crowfall for me.  It is where I will spend the vast majority of my playtime, because small group PvP is where Crowfall shines, and hunger dome back in the d

The reward for being online, and exposing yourself to risk, should be generating value. A fundamental problem in the game is that gold is just not valuable enough. There is no economy, there is not a

You know one thing that scares me about this hunger dome is will it provide content or remove content. your removing players from the open world and putting them in instances so there even less things

This Q&A and the roadmap (finally!) has shown, to me at least, that we are indeed in the final stretch.

Im just happy they made the call to get factories pre-launch.

Edited by BarriaKarl
4 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

Im just happy they made the call to get factories pre-launch.

Still iffy on this, he did make comment that even he is unsure about that one, but they are trying hard.

I am quite curious as to bags and proc items, did i miss it or did they skip right past those line items?

45 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Still iffy on this, he did make comment that even he is unsure about that one, but they are trying hard.

I am quite curious as to bags and proc items, did i miss it or did they skip right past those line items?

Not sure about bags, but proc items were things that crafters could make to occasionally trigger effects. Like a sword that had a 10% chance of doing bonus fire damage or an amulet that would cast a protective buff on taking a hit.

Edited by Ranik

Shadowbane style advantage / disadvantage disciplines when? ~Yianni 1/21/21

Posted (edited)

'hunger dome' esque tournament/arena system

(12 teams of 5, from lobby. ~30 min matches with '4 seasons', shrinking hunger ring with fort/castles ownership for group respawn. cloned/premade lvl 30 chars, non persistent internally looted gear from chests/monsters. more impactful items that can't export/persist)

talk

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/934257459?t=0h53m36s

tI3YPDX.png

KZAhwBk.png

video

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/934257459?t=1h9m37s

8CEcJCs.png

6IO6i9u.png

Edited by Tinnis
5 minutes ago, oneply said:

so they added a battle royal with its own gearing system.....what has the point been of the last 4 or so years of development?

I guess you could say a lot has been done in the last 4 years...not sure when the last time you played was, but changes have been happening.

The BR, Hungerdome is just in addition to, like something to do if you are not sieging/otherwise engaged in PvP. Don't get me wrong, I am not excited about it and would rather it wasn't part of the game however, if it brings more attention to the game and money to ACE then it is probably more good than bad. imo.

10 minutes ago, oneply said:

so they added a battle royal with its own gearing system.....what has the point been of the last 4 or so years of development?

I could argue that the playable hungerdome of 2016 was already there, so it wasnt added, but re-added. give credit where credit is due and all that....

28 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

I could argue that the playable hungerdome of 2016 was already there, so it wasnt added, but re-added. give credit where credit is due and all that....

true. they used the campaign worlds as testing for their BR. its like AoC in reverse. some brilliant use of time.

Things they didn't really touch on that I wish they did.

Game world incentives, and too much risk aversion.

Right now it feels like all I need to do is get my character to where I want it, and then wait till a siege window opens up to log on. There's simply nothing encouraging most people to log on during the day, and it's a self perpetuating loop. People don't log in because they see a low population, thus the population dwindles even more because people don't log on.
I wish things like open world dungeons were on the mid term plans, or more objectives that inject urgency into the game loop to get people on and competing against one another.

On the subject of risk aversion; why is there so much of it? Obviously rule sets will resolve some of this with no import rules, but I feel bad for other rule sets that get an influx of riskless acquired gear imports. Risk should be a huge component of the game, but it seems like they're walking back from that with the introduction of things like disciplines that reduce or negate inventory drop, etc.

Edited by Helix
1 hour ago, Helix said:

Things they didn't really touch on that I wish they did.

Game world incentives, and too much risk aversion.

Right now it feels like all I need to do is get my character to where I want it, and then wait till a siege window opens up to log on. There's simply nothing encouraging most people to log on during the day, and it's a self perpetuating loop. People don't log out because they see a low population, thus the population dwindles even more because people don't log on.
I wish things like open world dungeons were on the mid term plans, or more objectives that inject urgency into the game loop to get people on and competing against one another.

On the subject of risk aversion; why is there so much of it? Obviously rule sets will resolve some of this with no import rules, but I feel bad for other rule sets that get an influx of riskless acquired gear imports. Risk should be a huge component of the game, but it seems like they're walking back from that with the introduction of things like disciplines that reduce or negate inventory drop, etc.

The reward for being online, and exposing yourself to risk, should be generating value. A fundamental problem in the game is that gold is just not valuable enough. There is no economy, there is not a strong enough sink because there is no city maintenance. I was disheartened to hear that city decay (and likely maintenance) didn't make the short term. I don't see the game having any modicum of success without city building and maintenance taking centerstage. Not sieging, building. Sieges should be rare and expensive. Building should be very common and very expensive. 

Building my city, and therefore establishing my sphere of influence, should be directly proportional to the amount of time I spend generating value. It is not that way currently, because the time-value is way, way too low, and is a one-off. We should be building larger cities over time, that demand more resources than the things that came before, and require more substantial maintenance, so we need to widen our sphere of influence (ownership of camps and gold), and therefore competition springs naturally. Now it's no problem for me to sit in an alliance because all our poorly made dergs is built and there is no need to worry about maintaining it. I just sign in for snoozefest auto-sieges.

Tomorrow, within an hour, multiple alliances will have nearly fully built out cities. All because we farmed in extreme safety and can import that into the danger. We do not need to do anything in dangerous dregs. Incomprehensible to me to cripple your own game loop with imports. People will likely be like "different campaigns for different folks," but those who play import will not understand nor experience the potential of a slower, no import, SB style world.

Edited by McTan

You know one thing that scares me about this hunger dome is will it provide content or remove content. your removing players from the open world and putting them in instances so there even less things to do in the dregs sure we have the hunger dome now but it get to the point if it popular why did u even go about making a MMORPG in the first place. The gamer will resemble more of a game called Fury (Was an areana pvp game with a lobby system for vendors and things) Its will basicly be an areana game with extra steps with character creation and not much else going on inside the actual game world.
Maybe it a quick fix for the time being while you make a proper game since it seems the game wont realy be there until you hit mid term goals in 6-12 months after release (Which is when the game probaly should get released but u cant due to financial pressure/pressure from investors and so on) to me you need the parcel to parcel interactions before this can even feel like a proper mmorpg that you advertised back in kickstarter.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

8 minutes ago, veeshan said:

You know one thing that scares me about this hunger dome is will it provide content or remove content. your removing players from the open world and putting them in instances so there even less things to do in the dregs sure we have the hunger dome now but it get to the point if it popular why did u even go about making a MMORPG in the first place. The gamer will resemble more of a game called Fury (Was an areana pvp game with a lobby system for vendors and things) Its will basicly be an areana game with extra steps with character creation and not much else going on inside the actual game world.
Maybe it a quick fix for the time being while you make a proper game since it seems the game wont realy be there until you hit mid term goals in 6-12 months after release (Which is when the game probaly should get released but u cant due to financial pressure/pressure from investors and so on) to me you need the parcel to parcel interactions before this can even feel like a proper mmorpg that you advertised back in kickstarter.

Honestly, we held out for so long against so many people asking for it. But it is, in my opinion, a bad decision. The world is already unpopulated. Pulling people into arenas makes the game feel like it competes with MOBAs, and this game cannot compete with MOBAs or FPS for set player versus player content. It can absolutely compete with PvP open-world, uneven games. But we need literally every lever pulled to push people into conflict with each other.

If it were me, I'd erase Infected. It's not me, and instead we get arena worlds.

If they can find a way to integrate into the world, in some interesting way...but it's just going to be a separate thing, contributing to the downward population spiral.

26 minutes ago, McTan said:

If they can find a way to integrate into the world, in some interesting way...but it's just going to be a separate thing, contributing to the downward population spiral.

Like instanced sieges? They're the only way this game is going to launch without massive issues with zone capping. 

It took Albion years to get Unity to handle over a few hundred people in a zone and it's a much simpler, isometric game. They still had to add cluster queues and a lot of supporting functionality, because inevitably if you can knock over someone's home, they are going to try to zone cap to prevent that. Or vice versa.

Caps that are unique to a guild or alliance also don't work because then people just work together in out-of-alliance coalitions. 

Edited by Alot
33 minutes ago, McTan said:

Honestly, we held out for so long against so many people asking for it. But it is, in my opinion, a bad decision. The world is already unpopulated. Pulling people into arenas makes the game feel like it competes with MOBAs, and this game cannot compete with MOBAs or FPS for set player versus player content. It can absolutely compete with PvP open-world, uneven games. But we need literally every lever pulled to push people into conflict with each other.

If it were me, I'd erase Infected. It's not me, and instead we get arena worlds.

tbh they would of been better off imo throwing all focus on getting parcel interaction going before launching atleast then they can do thing for territory systems and detering zerg vombat (Having a parcel limit of say 10 people in non seige one where onmce they get above that every x amount of peopole give a stack debuff of 5% less hp/AP/SP or something would go a long way , small keeps can be 20 large keep 40 and castles 60 or something so smaller/mid range guilds have a place and able to compete with zergs with owning property.
Atm game will come out and small guilds will leave cause they cant compete and mid range guilds may try something but we all see the nut cup happening now it will be worst on release :P no one want to aliance smaller guild either with the cap on guilds in alliances (Would of been better off if it was a member cap total but they dont want that) so i would of opted for no guild caps in alliances and have parcel debuff alliances on parcel fi they have to many friendly players on it. Territory system would also limit how much movement a zerg has in what territory they can take if implemented properly aswell so it would still allow smaller guild to carva a smaller plot for themselfs.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

3 hours ago, veeshan said:

The gamer will resemble more of a game called Fury (Was an areana pvp game with a lobby system for vendors and things) Its will basicly be an areana game with extra steps with character creation and not much else going on inside the actual game world.

I always forget about Fury. Had a lot of fun with it during its short life. Would be an interesting game if made today without all the issues it had.

Just now, APE said:

I always forget about Fury. Had a lot of fun with it during its short life. Would be an interesting game if made today without all the issues it had.

most people issue i think with that game was it was hosted in Australia or singapore or something so Americans cried alot about ping :P it was great for me with my less than 100 ping or whatever it was

Veeshan Midst of UXA

• Launch is this year.
  • Bunch of stuff is missing, unfinished, and planned for the future.
  • Arena mode in a game lacking cosmetics is going to bring in new players and being at a power disadvantage will incentivize them to play the MMO. Disregard balance is a big reason why such formats are popular and that gaining that power requires them going up against players already at an advantage on the MMO side.
  • UI wasn't designed with customization in mind...
  • Somehow what appear to be as tricky if not more so features, systems, and overhauls will be developed at a fraction of the time it has taken previous development over the last ~6 years.
  • Current version will receive HD 2.0, Factories (maybe?), and further polish but looks and sounds like this is what launch will be.
  • Lack of economic tools/accessibility and off peak content are not being addressed pre-launch.