Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Game Direction - Losing Crowfall as an MMORPG Throne War

On 4/7/2021 at 5:07 PM, Nakawe said:

I regret every penny I spent in this game.

This can not be emphasized enough.

I feel the same way.

Edited by Toadwart
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crowfall is quickly moving away from an RPG, from an MMO, and from a throne war simulator and morphing into a MOBA (yes, even the "MMO" side of it).  I'm going to start by highlighting how this occurr

Campaign worlds are going to be where you farm discs and materials to make vessels for an advantage in HungerDome.  There are only 2 things you can progress in Crowfall. Your Vessel/Discs an

I think in addition to what's been said, free city building will help a lot in campaign progression. It shouldnt take a few hours to build a keep because you import a seed and building mats. It should

On 4/3/2021 at 3:43 AM, Yumx said:

Now I am not saying that Crowfall wants to or should become the next new top tier game, and they are clearly not 100% aligned on where they want to go, but it makes sense that they try to cater to modern trends, instead of making 2.0 of a game that died out ages ago.

I respectfully disagree.  Crowfall's best shot was to make a better Shadowbane-esque game (including all the promises of the Kickstarter).  In fact, the reason it got funded at all was because those fans spent their money on this concept, and ACE has been slowly but surely inching away from this for all the years I've been following/supporting the project.  UO, SB and SWG were the implied forefathers of CF, and conspicuously absent was any mention of MOBAs (and now Fortnite).    

I remember JTodd talking about a vision of a "niche" MMORGP with a loyal player base years ago.  They certainly could have had that, and maybe they still can (I hope so).  However, it appears they have decided to gamble a bit too much on something different instead, and alienated a good portion of those who paid for this project in the process.  I've read most of this thread, and I recognize many names of supporters from way back--those who promoted, defended, tested, suggested, funded--and, by and large, they don't sound pleased.

EDIT:  So, I didn't offer any solutions.  I haven't play tested in quite some time so I will leave the particulars to those who have (as seen abundantly in this thread).  However, I will add my two cents conceptually/organizationally: 

1. I think ACE show go with Hunger Dome, a faction based campaign, and a free-for-all campaign that enables guild teams.  EKs would still remain as thing you can do.  

2. While I have my problems with Hunger Dome, I think it can be used in a way to make the game better.  It should be a place designed primarily to entice players into faction based, and faction based designed to move people to guild based campaigns.  Sure, some will settle in HD, others in faction based, but the goal is that you try to funnel people into Dregs-like gameplay.  There should be little risk/reward in HD, some more risk/reward in faction based, and then high risk/reward in dregs.  That will go a long way to entice people to participate in the throne-war.  You could also limit the skill tree, expanding it a bit in faction, and then fully in Dregs. 

3.  Importing/exporting from games types is tricky.  I suggest simplifying it extensively.  Perhaps, have a very limited export gained in HD that you can import to faction or Dregs by way of success in that game mode (my team won HD three times, we get a special weapon, yay!  But we can only use it in faction or Dregs).  Then, do the same for faction based that they can take to dregs.  The export/import ends there, and it doesn't flow the other way or across campaign instances of the same type.  In that manner, if they want to use the new toy the achieved, they can do so by moving deeper into more throne-war play.   In Dregs, players can earn titles, skins, a reputation that are permanent--that sort of thing.  They keep these wherever they go, but the do not give advantages.  Nothing that gives advantages actually leaves Dregs, nor does it transfer over to new Dregs campaigns (again, the only way to keep advantages is to move deeper into the throne-war).  

4. Don't worry so much about other types of games, simply make the 3 types as good as you can. i.e., as complete and engaging as possible. There are lots of suggestions here to consider.    

Edited by Baomaug

“... [T]he pure light of chivalry... distinguishes the noble from the base, the gentle knight from the churl and the savage;... rates our life far, far beneath the pitch of our honour, raises us victorious over pain, toil, and suffering, and teaches us to fear no evil but disgrace.” --Walter Scott

2 hours ago, Baomaug said:

I respectfully disagree.  Crowfall's best shot was to make a better Shadowbane-esque game (including all the promises of the Kickstarter).  In fact, the reason it got funded at all was because those fans spent their money on this concept, and ACE has been slowly but surely inching away from this for all the years I've been following/supporting the project.  UO, SB and SWG were the implied forefathers of CF, and conspicuously absent was any mention of MOBAs (and now Fortnite).    

I remember JTodd talking about a vision of a "niche" MMORGP with a loyal player base years ago.  They certainly could have had that, and maybe they still can (I hope so).  However, it appears they have decided to gamble a bit too much on something different instead, and alienated a good portion of those who paid for this project in the process.  I've read most of this thread, and I recognize many names of supporters from way back--those who promoted, defended, tested, suggested, funded--and, by and large, they don't sound pleased.

In your sig... That should be "Sir Walter Scott". Please make it so

macdeath_sig.png