Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Idea: Hunger Dome equivalent events within GvG campaigns

If Hunger Dome is to be a battleground style pvp-mode, then a way to offset this as  a downtime activity that could detract from the CW, would be to have an Infected version, in terms of potential rewards, so that it can similarly be a lower league (less competitive-less rewarding) to the major league (more competitive-more rewarding).

Basic idea would just be to roll out mini-instances that provide more meaningful buffs or rewards within CW. There could be ruins placed that can temporarily act as a control point. Only one guild can control a ruin during this event, and the winners get to select their champions for a Hunger Dome event. The rewards that it would provide back to the campaign could be minor -- but more significant than the battleground queued system --  to encourage more of this "downtime" activity and content to be focused within the CW.

29 minutes ago, Ajokoira said:

I am against anything that pushed people into hunger dome.

I've read/seen that it is already planned as a battleground game mode. This is a suggestion for a way to incorporate it for more engagement in the actual campaigns in addition to the already planned version.

37 minutes ago, Lightsig said:

I've read/seen that it is already planned as a battleground game mode. This is a suggestion for a way to incorporate it for more engagement in the actual campaigns in addition to the already planned version.

It is, it's most likely only going to help hungerdome ergo I am against funneling more people that direction. Having said that I also believe given current circumstances within the game that hungerdome will be all that is left about 30 days after launch.

Posted (edited)

I see what you're saying. I am definitely against the idea of traditional "battlegrounds", or at least something akin to instanced PvP that occurs outside of campaigns, but as a potential event within the campaign, this would be a direction I am amicable to, and could serve as a model for including more events within a campaign that function differently later, or utilize a similar chosen champion design.

Edited by Lightsig
sp

If you dont want people to go play HD make the base game more interesting than it. Simple as that.

This idea that people will play the game if it is the only option is foolishness. As shown today people will simply leave.

HD isnt the problem. The game sucking is.

Edited by BarriaKarl
2 hours ago, BarriaKarl said:

If you dont want people to go play HD make the base game more interesting than it. Simple as that.

This idea that people will play the game if it is the only option is foolishness. As shown today people will simply leave.

HD isnt the problem. The game sucking is.

I agree, with the caveat that dev attention and hope around HD is lowering the likelihood that they ever salvage an actual game. It's clear to me that HD will not net ACE money, but it doesn't seem like they think that or admit that. Between making HD and redoing powers for like the fifteenth time in 12 months, they are clearly afraid to tackle the actual problems.

Edited by McTan
7 hours ago, McTan said:

I agree, with the caveat that dev attention and hope around HD is lowering the likelihood that they ever salvage an actual game. It's clear to me that HD will not net ACE money, but it doesn't seem like they think that or admit that. Between making HD and redoing powers for like the fifteenth time in 12 months, they are clearly afraid to tackle the actual problems.

Yeah, that is a counterpoint i can agree with. Dont think they imagined it would be this troublesome to go from internal testing to Live. Soon we will be getting another q&a and still no HD.

In light of all that I am already thinking CF is better off with a late in the year launch. It is not that the game requires heavy changes or anything but ACE really isnt the fastest team to implement them. I dont see the game being anything beyond DOA if launched this semester, might as well aim for an october or such date then.

8 hours ago, McTan said:

I disagree. They could net quite a tidy sum with a hunger dome release. The game is many years late, so let me ask you, whats another delay at this stage? Better to push the mmorpg down the pipe another couple years and push out something that might have a chance in the near term, ie, this year. Ace could very well make it a f2p w/cash shop standalone game with some form of import/export function with the mmorpg. This would be inline with their stated goal of drawing interest from the game via better vessels and such. 

The only issue would be how they implement the HD, if it has a bad reception, the mmorpg released later would be truly doomed if they do it this way.

4 hours ago, mystafyi said:

I disagree. They could net quite a tidy sum with a hunger dome release. The game is many years late, so let me ask you, whats another delay at this stage? Better to push the mmorpg down the pipe another couple years and push out something that might have a chance in the near term, ie, this year. Ace could very well make it a f2p w/cash shop standalone game with some form of import/export function with the mmorpg. This would be inline with their stated goal of drawing interest from the game via better vessels and such. 

The only issue would be how they implement the HD, if it has a bad reception, the mmorpg released later would be truly doomed if they do it this way.

You might be right, I just don't see it. In my view, there is absolutely no way that Hungerdome competes with mobas and BRs. It's just worse in every way, and it would take a full-time operation to make balance work. I played three Hungerdome rounds that didn't crash, and I've seen everything there is to do. It's not setup intuitively, it tries to follow the recipe of BRs but with these weird respawn mechanics, it involves massive balance problems that BRs don't have. 

I just don't see it.

I will concede, I have never played HD but I do hope that it is ACE's intent by including it in the game that they will find a way to leverage what they learn in order to implement cool events-style game modes into the campaigns.

I think a BR mode definitely adds to the cornucopia of activities traditional MMO players may be looking for, but it doesn't really make sense for the stated design of the game imo since that isn't really the target audience. Only time will tell at this point.

8 minutes ago, Lightsig said:

I will concede, I have never played HD but I do hope that it is ACE's intent by including it in the game that they will find a way to leverage what they learn in order to implement cool events-style game modes into the campaigns.

I think a BR mode definitely adds to the cornucopia of activities traditional MMO players may be looking for, but it doesn't really make sense for the stated design of the game imo since that isn't really the target audience. Only time will tell at this point.

Yes, I am ready to move on from arguing that HD shouldn't exist. It does, and now I will also be a strong advocate that they find a way to tie-in with dregs, as opposed to standing alone.

1 hour ago, McTan said:

Yes, I am ready to move on from arguing that HD shouldn't exist. It does, and now I will also be a strong advocate that they find a way to tie-in with dregs, as opposed to standing alone.

I think I will find HD fun as a occasional activity. I just don't want it to become something I am required to do in order to build a character, or for it to mess up risk vs reward scaling for the Campaigns (i.e. the rewards are so good that people "grind" HD because it's more efficient).

tiPrpwh.png

HD as a way to reel people in runs pretty hard up against the fact that outside Test, you actually need someone to pony up for those fancy bodies and leveling them.

Hardly a new person friendly activity if all you want to do is HD, unless they add significant enough rewards to HD that guilds have a reason to want 'champion' HD players... and even then, probably going to reward their friends/long term guildmates long before a geek off the street.

8 hours ago, Van_Zant said:

HD as a way to reel people in runs pretty hard up against the fact that outside Test, you actually need someone to pony up for those fancy bodies and leveling them.

Hardly a new person friendly activity if all you want to do is HD, unless they add significant enough rewards to HD that guilds have a reason to want 'champion' HD players... and even then, probably going to reward their friends/long term guildmates long before a geek off the street.

Yes that does pose a problem. Draw in new players to a battle royale type game mode but let some bring advantages in from outside the game mode. Not very battle royale, we will see the implementation. 

On 4/5/2021 at 5:53 AM, mystafyi said:

Yes that does pose a problem. Draw in new players to a battle royale type game mode but let some bring advantages in from outside the game mode. Not very battle royale, we will see the implementation. 

Yeah, it doesn't feel to me that it is here to fill a gap for casuals and new players, but rather something structured that can fit in as a fun action-oriented downtime activity between sieges. 

The heavy amount of geared players partaking in this game mode will absolutely serve as a deterrence for new players. I generally like ACE's approach of giving new players a taste of something in an accessible way with little reward in order to prime them for campaigns. I don't mind the idea of an ad hoc battleground mode but it would be preferable to have it follow the same design philosophy. I have other ideas for how the training campaigns could be made more lively and incorporated as a ramp towards campaigns but that would be a new thread.

Overall, I believe this would be balanced out by using something akin to my proposal as a way to pull in the more competitive players to fight over something of greater value that is available within the campaign. This would also leave more space for undergeared/new players in the BG mode as a biproduct so that it could serve more effectively as a downtime activity for players who are not yet incorporated into guilds and/or siege events.

Base game is simply not fun enough now for the immense majority of players.  Player counts are very low even if a new patch was just released (with nothing in it). When less than 1 % of backers actively play the game, it raises questions...

I can totally understand why the remaining 300 active players are unhappy with the arrival of HD. I too backed this game many years ago not to play HD but an actual throne war simulator.

But let's face it, it will take years to fix crowfall and deliver on the main concepts we backed and I cannot see a successful release anytime soon. So they took a bet to bring back a short term mod that is not necessarily focussed on the 300 that are still holding the main game but more on the 30k (or even more?) that dropped the game. Who knows, they might even bring in new players that enjoy mobs/br games. 

Is it great news? Absolutely not. Do they have a choice right now? Not really. They would need 2 or 3 major godly patches to bring back players in the campaign. That cannot be done on the short term while HD can. People won't magically rejoin the campaign if main issues are still there! They might join HD though in the meanwhile and eventually transition to the main game as problems get solved.

4 hours ago, Galahorn said:

Is it great news? Absolutely not. Do they have a choice right now? Not really. They would need 2 or 3 major godly patches to bring back players in the campaign. That cannot be done on the short term while HD can. People won't magically rejoin the campaign if main issues are still there! They might join HD though in the meanwhile and eventually transition to the main game as problems get solved.

Even the current BR mode is not polished enough for release, they would need to pretty much stop work on the main game in order to push this out as a stand alone this year. If that fails we might never see crowfall and if it succeeds it could still push the game out till 2022. Fun fact, 7 years delay would mean 8-9% of backers would have statistically died by launch.