Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So Crowfall is WoW x League of Legends ?

The informations about that game were somewhat cool, a MMO, with RPG and Throne War. An AIM system not as usual, lot of progression, path to chose, clean graphics, some lore.

But after my first try, I don't see at all what was promised. I get a WoW feeling with the toon and his surrounding, and like I'm playing 3rd person on League of Legends, with a quest system linear as hell. What the point to go for the same type of game that we already played 15 years ago ? Rift tried that and died, Terra did the same, tons of others did that and became F2P without players.

What's the point in Crowfall ? Nothing seems to be better than what you can find in another game and graphics are just "ok".

OK it's a beta, but at this point, it'll take a major rework to give a decent vanilla game to backers :o

Which place did your guild get in the last campaign? Which allies and enemies did you make? Who helped you and who betrayed you? Do you have warstories from getting ganked while killing raid bosses? Did you kill an enemy harvester and looted a lot of shiny things? Did your crafter managed to craft you a legendary weapon? Have you tried Hunger Dome? Which place did your team finished? What's your K/D ratio?

WoW is mostly PVE raids on 83%. Crowfall has 0% PVE raids. So No, it's not WoW.

Nor it is LoL because LoL is destroy your base game of 2 teams only. In Crowfall you do not need to destroy any base and also it is a place for 50 people (5vs5vs5vs5...).

Crowfall is more like Warhammer RoR +¬†Fortnight. Just in Warhammer you receive experience for PVPing and in Crowfall you just don't. I don't know why, honestly, don't ask...it is completely irrational but it is what it is ūüėÉ

Edited by SAM_BUKA

Tyrant: you were too tough, they gave up. (10/15/2020)

33 minutes ago, ComradeAma said:

Which place did your guild get in the last campaign? Which allies and enemies did you make? Who helped you and who betrayed you? Do you have warstories from getting ganked while killing raid bosses? Did you kill an enemy harvester and looted a lot of shiny things? Did your crafter managed to craft you a legendary weapon? Have you tried Hunger Dome? Which place did your team finished? What's your K/D ratio?

While you're not wrong...

Crowfall's new player experience is like a broken water pipe. Nothing is coming out on the end.

14 minutes ago, Pystkeebler said:

While you're not wrong...

Crowfall's new player experience is like a broken water pipe. Nothing is coming out on the end.

Crowfall's NPE is supposed to give you the basics. It's an active training manual for the mechanics of the world.  It is NOT a quest system, it's a very short progression wizard. All you should get out of it at the end is a very basic understanding of the universe and character mechanics. 

The "Game" is the Guild Vs Guild throne war, not a PvE theme park.  

4 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Crowfall's NPE is supposed to give you the basics. It's an active training manual for the mechanics of the world.  It is NOT a quest system, it's a very short progression wizard. All you should get out of it at the end is a very basic understanding of the universe and character mechanics. 

This. After you spend an hour or two learning the basics through the "New Player Experience" quests you will never see another quest in the game. It's not like WoW in that regard.

IhhQKY6.gif

1 minute ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

That's all fine. But I mean new player experience in totality. It's just not capturing people. The feedback has been surprisingly consistent since the start of beta, and there's been little in the way of changes that have made an appreciable impact on that.

1 hour ago, Pystkeebler said:

That's all fine. But I mean new player experience in totality. It's just not capturing people. The feedback has been surprisingly consistent since the start of beta, and there's been little in the way of changes that have made an appreciable impact on that.

Might have something to do with the fact that the NPE is the most polished and content rich part of the game. When you finish the tutorial in most games its the point where the world opens up and you're like "wow look at all these things to do and places to go"

In crowfall when you finish the tutorial it's like "Wow, so this is all there is huh?"

By the time you've finished the tutorial you've literally seen the entire game. You've seen the one biome. You've seen every mob type with the exception of ghosts. You probably saw some PvP. The only thing you've missed is bigger versions of the same NPCs and getting ganked by roving death squads and your "new" objectives are all campaign cards you actually don't have a reasonable chance of competing for.

"What do I do now?"

The same thing you just did but slower because of no quest rewards.

The moment to moment gameplay of crowfall tanks almost immediately at the end of the tutorial for the average player and won't pick up again until they're ready to make a serious go at PvP, but the intervening middle period is just a wasteland of boring grinds and getting randomly ganked by people with better gear and more friends.

At least in Shadowbane or EVE there was a world to explore and see new kinds of mobs to farm, or new types of farms to fill the gap. Crowfall just has nothing new to offer you. It has blown its load in the tutorial entirely and the only positive feedback it has for your progression is "made numbers bigger on stat sheet"

If you aren't immediately scooped up by a guild that will provide context and objectives for you, the game doesn't have any that it explicitly defines, or anything up its sleeve for you to self-define as objectives.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

22 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Might have something to do with the fact that the NPE is the most polished and content rich part of the game. When you finish the tutorial in most games its the point where the world opens up and you're like "wow look at all these things to do and places to go"

In crowfall when you finish the tutorial it's like "Wow, so this is all there is huh?"

By the time you've finished the tutorial you've literally seen the entire game. You've seen the one biome. You've seen every mob type with the exception of ghosts. You probably saw some PvP. The only thing you've missed is bigger versions of the same NPCs and getting ganked by roving death squads and your "new" objectives are all campaign cards you actually don't have a reasonable chance of competing for.

"What do I do now?"

The same thing you just did but slower because of no quest rewards.

The moment to moment gameplay of crowfall tanks almost immediately at the end of the tutorial for the average player and won't pick up again until they're ready to make a serious go at PvP, but the intervening middle period is just a wasteland of boring grinds and getting randomly ganked by people with better gear and more friends.

At least in Shadowbane or EVE there was a world to explore and see new kinds of mobs to farm, or new types of farms to fill the gap. Crowfall just has nothing new to offer you. It has blown its load in the tutorial entirely and the only positive feedback it has for your progression is "made numbers bigger on stat sheet"

If you aren't immediately scooped up by a guild that will provide context and objectives for you, the game doesn't have any that it explicitly defines, or anything up its sleeve for you to self-define as objectives.

That's a pretty astue observation.  Yesterday for example I was talking to a new player in chat who was all about "what faction should I be", and I had to tell them that it really didn't matter, go find a guild. 

The "real" next step in the tutorial should be "find a guild that is recruiting" followed by a menu of active guilds that actually are currently recruiting, with some content for a pitch etc. 

19 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

"What do I do now?"

Strangely enough many of the positive reviews note 1-2 hours played or got to lvl 17. Majority of other reviews from new players is quite negative and basically ask that same question. 'what do i do now?' 

I love how some vets try to discount players negative subjective review, instead of laying the blame on the mistakes of the dev team.

2 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

That's a pretty astue observation.  Yesterday for example I was talking to a new player in chat who was all about "what faction should I be", and I had to tell them that it really didn't matter, go find a guild. 

The "real" next step in the tutorial should be "find a guild that is recruiting" followed by a menu of active guilds that actually are currently recruiting, with some content for a pitch etc. 

no way... maybe even use guild ui function that are in most other games from decades ago? 

Yes, what Pope said. I didn't have the energy to write more than two sentences to rehash the same old stuff, sorry...

The slightly less terse criticism is:

First, we need an actual progression system to replace passive training. What's in now seems to just bring extra focus to the "Is that it?" feeling.

Second, there's two things the NPE could explain better: "real" harvesting and crafting (not the superficial stuff in GR), and whatever advancement and progression turns out to be.

Third, available activities out of siege need much iteration, and the answer is probably still going to be "needs more stuff."

Fourth, Crowfall does not do well at personal objectives and rewards relative to guild objectives and rewards. This could be as simple as repeatable PvP quests: kill 10 players, capture 5 outposts, etc. The better solution, IMO, is probably a personal divine favor system that resembles the list of daily/weekly objectives that a lot of BRs provide and gives some additional rewards.

I know how to fix it guys! The last NPE quest should be to join a guild. It is absolutely necessary in this game.

Tyrant: you were too tough, they gave up. (10/15/2020)

As a side note, the game was never advertised to be like World of Warcraft. If you ever saw the name appear in comments about Crowfall, it would be someone explaining how this game is meant to be nothing like it.

8 minutes ago, Lightsig said:

As a side note, the game was never advertised to be like World of Warcraft. If you ever saw the name appear in comments about Crowfall, it would be someone explaining how this game is meant to be nothing like it.

Unpopular opinion:

If I had a choice between endlessly hitting rocks, farming only the best gold per hour camp on the map, and crafting garbage to get discs upgraded, or doing some kind of procedurally generates radiant quest system that said "Kill X satyrs, okay now kill Y pigmen, okay now capture 3 outposts, Okay now bring me 20 ore, etc." I would choose the WoW-esque quests every single time just so its not so monotonous EVEN IF it were a slower way to do it.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

8 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Unpopular opinion:

If I had a choice between endlessly hitting rocks, farming only the best gold per hour camp on the map, and crafting garbage to get discs upgraded, or doing some kind of procedurally generates radiant quest system that said "Kill X satyrs, okay now kill Y pigmen, okay now capture 3 outposts, Okay now bring me 20 ore, etc." I would choose the WoW-esque quests every single time just so its not so monotonous EVEN IF it were a slower way to do it.

Oh, 100%! I only meant that the experience of roping together 39 friends and raiding Blackrock Mountain to kill Dragons and Elementals is not what this game focuses on in any way shape or form.

15 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

I would choose the WoW-esque quests every single time

I'm not a huge fan of the linear type storyline questing in themeparks - I'd rather play something like UO that is just mob camp farming. I do think CF could greatly expand on the Victory Card system (personal and guild cards) and it would fit better with the strategy game concept.

tiPrpwh.png

24 minutes ago, SAM_BUKA said:

I know how to fix it guys! The last NPE quest should be to join a guild. It is absolutely necessary in this game.

I am not sure about the player retention issues this would cause. Having the game issue a quest for players to stop playing and find a guild outside of the game isnt going to go over well. Despite that, there is also the issue that many folks dont wish to just join a guild willy nilly and want to take some time making such a choice while learning the basics of gameplay. 

4 minutes ago, miraluna said:

I'm not a huge fan of the linear type storyline questing in themeparks 

The problem with having any sort of questing means that you will be expected to have all the other bells and whistles that go with a themepark. One of the reason I despise the basic questing chain for NPE. They get to the end and thats it,,,, Not sure why the need for themepark like handholding in a sandbox when other games make millions just dropping you on a beach naked. Hunger Dome should be the NPE. Learn the combat in short matches with pre-made avatars, then go into the mmo. 

52 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

The problem with having any sort of questing means that you will be expected to have all the other bells and whistles that go with a themepark. One of the reason I despise the basic questing chain for NPE. They get to the end and thats it,,,, Not sure why the need for themepark like handholding in a sandbox when other games make millions just dropping you on a beach naked. Hunger Dome should be the NPE. Learn the combat in short matches with pre-made avatars, then go into the mmo. 

I think it would be pretty intuitive to link a quest system to the god altars throughout the world and in the main hubs. Even some randomized stuff like SWG had could suffice.

Edited by Lightsig
superfluous number