Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Player Retention Rate is way too low for launch.

Greetings fellow crows and ACE,

I've been around for the last 30 months and played almost daily and so far I have agreed with most decisions taken.
I think ACE has build very Solid Systems that could make some Great games. However the current game is badly balanced on many levels and that makes it very unattractive.
I have hopes because IMO it's a matter of Balance and not Core Mechanics.
I was hoping that getting close to launch we will get that pass on balance and make The/A Game and not just a bunch of systems thrown together.

I'm also thinking that balancing can be done later - and that's fine - but in order for that to be relevant we need population and this is the main reason for my post.

Hard facts:
- Population has plummeted. From 200+ EU players 3 nights ago on Saturday afternoon there are less than 50 people online across all EU servers.
- If they were hooked - they would have been online and convince more people to get in.
- We had 3 guys testing Mortal Online 2 last week and now we have over 15 that have bought MO2 - that's from KDS's Crowfall active player base. That game has enough of a hook to make that happen.

**Bottom Line:** The influx of players has very low retention rate and not enough playable content for exiting player base.

Now all the above was fine by me in the 'Development state' where focus was not on hooking players but to develop and test.

With the new HD marketing for me is obvious that Launch is very close on your agenda and with the current "Game'' I'm afraid that 'the Crowfall plane will not reach Cruising Speed and Altitude'. I honestly cannot recommend The Crowfall Game as being great - but I can strongly recommend The Crowfall Systems as being a great base for many Game Types once balanced.

The Solution as I see it:
Bring a "Game'' that's similar to other 3 faction games out there so that the new players have some familiarity with while they explore the rest of Crowfall Systems. Dregs is really nice but is hardly the most inviting or fun environment for a new player. Crowfall needs a much better 'hook' before you can reel in and make dregs interesting for a larger player base.

Please don't launch until you build that hook!

How do you know You have it?

Very Easy: Population old and new will stay higher and play that Game  because it's fun!

Prom's Saturday rant is over.

Peace!

P.S. Edited - We need a HELP general chat because newbie questions remain unanswered in World chat (that's going away too). Helping new players also helps with hooking them to the game - great social interaction opportunities that are lacking badly.

Edited by Prometeu

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.ro

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greetings fellow crows and ACE, I've been around for the last 30 months and played almost daily and so far I have agreed with most decisions taken. I think ACE has build very Solid Systems that

I've only been around for six months but I've seen the same results with each beta wave and it's kind of grim. I spent my own time the past few days trying to help people in GR/Infected and visiting s

NPE is utter garbage. Sorry to the folks that wasted their time working on this, but crowfall needed a new player EXPERIENCE to hook them in the first few hours, not some basic quest line time waste t

i totally agree with @Prometeu we clearly need a real 3 factions world not an unique zone with pvp, and if it's in the tube; imo, you need to communicate about that because it's something which can "hook" ppl to talk like prometeu 😅

it was strange to see the general chat disappear just before a massive wave of invitation too but you made your choice.

Furthermore localization comes too late, it's not like if french, german and spanish ppl told you months ago it's a big issue... we even offered to help ....

I hope things will accelerate but as prometeu i think some things really need to be fix before launch and i'm not sure some are in your roadmap

It appears to me that ACE devs don't play CF in 'player mode' except maybe for some HD tests. If you don't play as a player, you won't see the issues that players see so bugs go unnoticed and unfixed. God mode doesn't count.

I can understand that most of the devs are too busy to play the game... Then it would be good to listen to what the folks who do play complain about, both vets and newbs. Try to find out why player retention is so poor, AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT NOW, prior to launch. 

macdeath_sig.png

I've only been around for six months but I've seen the same results with each beta wave and it's kind of grim. I spent my own time the past few days trying to help people in GR/Infected and visiting streams of new players and I always see the same thing:

A huge pile of new players floods the GR and Infected worlds. Many finish the New Player Experience and just stop there. Many more play for a few hours wandering around God's Reach doing things like harvesting poor quality mats, trying to figure out crafting (and craft their intermediate armor), or just fighting the low level npc camps there. They get bored or say "now what?" and then stop playing.

Some make it to the infected server (and I'll grant that it's more than before because the NPE now directs you to go there). They will try to grind out levels, or give harvest or crafting a go, but few make it all the way to 30. The biggest complaints I saw in infected was the "emptiness" of the world, no actual instruction about where to go, what to do, or simple mechanics like sacrificing lore items to help you level faster. None of them understood what those forts and keeps were for and most found the lack of things to kill frustrating. When I was grouping with players we were bouncing between two camps to keep things going and still had to wait on respawns. (If there were more players also levelling this would have been even worse!) The one's that do actually make it to 30 and get over to sky point might cap a few outposts if they made a friend along the way then see there's hardly anyone else around and nothing else to do just kind of peter out..  this is now compounded by the lack of communication by having no general chat ("It just feels dead"). Kingdom and Faction chats are barely used and even though I tried to start conversations and get people to start talking I'd say only about 2-4 people would actually be using those chats at any given time, and that's when prodded into talking. If I encountered a player in another faction, my only choice was to emote/dance and they would either run away or try to fight. If we fought I'd get them to a certain point and stop fighting so they could kill me or just run away/heal. At no point can I tell them if they did well or poorly, help them understand the mistakes they were making, or just try and talk to them to give help about how to fight.

Very few make it all the way to the "end game" experience of group v group content. I think some guilds have been more successful than others at pushing new players there but for the most part I'd say less than 3% of all those new beta wave players actually make it to the end where the "real game" starts, and of those, few actually get the "hook" you mentioned and purchase a backer pack to stay in the game before their 30 days are up. Even still, a majority of those people don't have the tenacity to actually stick around more than a few weeks to a couple months. I've seen so many players join in the game enthusiastically, jump head-first into crafting/harvesting, keep progression, or outpost and other off-hours small pvp stuff, and participate in sieges, but after a couple weeks of the same old routine they eventually get bored with the repetition and  just move on to something else. 

I've also seen several other complaints from new players who were really trying to give the harvest and crafting systems a try, but there is absolutely zero information on how that's supposed to work or how a player is supposed to progress in this "temporary placeholder system".  They were annoyed when I tried to explain how those systems worked because there's no way they would have been able to figure it out without the off-chance that someone was around to explain it to them. There is also almost no information online about crafting or class guides, and a few expressed ire about how a lot of the information they were able to find was outdated because systems, classes, or powers have changed.

I suggested that all of the people I encountered along the way the past few days leave feedback on their experience, but I know some just quit the game and never looked back.

This game absolutely has a major retention problem. Is it because it's "too niche"? Or is it just because there are bad systems in place, poor quality instructions to guide them to the true end-game, or simply a complete lack of "game" to play if they're one of the stubborn few who actually have the tenacity to make it all the way to the "real content"? I don't know, but I'm hoping the developers and staff are looking at the same things I saw and trying to come up with ways to correct it.

That is my main problem with CF. Sometimes it seems ACE doesnt pay enough attention to things we hate or feeedback we feel strongly about.

It is great that the mat import will be addressed in the next build. It just took us months (maybe years?) of us complaining about it.

It is great that factories are coming in the next build. It also just took us months of complaints and showing you the obvious despite yall attempting to leave it pos-launch.

So I think it will take months of us complaining that Infected sucks and the safe islands are boring and doesnt match the real game before yall (attempt to) fix it?

Guess it will take you months to realize that our feedback that small scale combat is boring because either the other person is using the current broken builds (that also take months to be fixed), is running a stealth class to run away (with anti stealth builds not working at all to stop them) or you getting hammered by a bigger group.

Guess you guys will wait till all new players bail out before you admit removing General was a dumbass decision?

What ace needs to understand is they dont have all that time to be that slow on fixing problems. Specially obvious problems. How many months did it take for them to bend their arm and remove Mobile Banking?

You cant afford to be slow, ACE.

Edited by BarriaKarl

Thanks @Brautigan for a great write up of the problems 👏👏👏

Some suggestions to improve retention:

1. We need an actual progression system to replace passive training. What's in now seems to just bring extra focus to the "Is that it?" feeling. Please no soul-crushing grind...
  2. There's, at least, two things the NPE has to explain better: "real" harvesting and crafting (not the superficial stuff in GR), and whatever advancement and progression turns out to be. These should be tutorials in the infected NPE.
  3. IMO, the infected NPE would be much better if it threw all factions together in the same zones and gave everyone a +300 buff to all stats. Also, reward XP for all activities. Let new players cap forts, outposts, do sieges, kill each other... all of it.
  4. We need a campaign ruleset that bridges players between early game (infected) and end game (Dregs). I'm not sure JUST a faction vs. faction ruleset will do that without additional changes.
  5. Available activities out of siege need much iteration to get players more involved right away, and keep them engaged and involved over time. These need to regularly put players in direct competition in fun ways, and not feel like repetitive grinds. The answer very well could still be "needs more stuff."
  6. Crowfall does not do well at personal objectives and rewards relative to guild objectives and rewards. This needs to be fixed. It could be as simple as repeatable PvP quests: kill 10 players, capture 5 outposts, etc. The better solution, IMO, is probably a personal divine favor system that resembles the list of daily/weekly objectives that a lot of BRs provide and gives some additional rewards.

I won't say "everyone I know" but I will say a lot of people I have spoken with that have been invited simply don't want to test and are waiting for live. I am not saying all of you are wrong or even off base however, I am saying there is a significant number of people (based on my unofficial, inaccurate) survey just waiting for "live". Now, what happens 20 minutes after launch is unknown, but right now some people just do not like the test environment.

1 minute ago, Ajokoira said:

I won't say "everyone I know" but I will say a lot of people I have spoken with that have been invited simply don't want to test and are waiting for live. I am not saying all of you are wrong or even off base however, I am saying there is a significant number of people (based on my unofficial, inaccurate) survey just waiting for "live". Now, what happens 20 minutes after launch is unknown, but right now some people just do not like the test environment.

Some people may be waiting for the game to be live. But what would make you believe that their feedback would be different than the feedback of all the other players currently testing? What would lead you to believe that the feedback of the current testers was not representative of the population at large?

The expectations of players will only go up when ACE flips the version number from 'BETA' to 'RELEASE', just as it did when it flipped from 'ALPHA' to 'BETA'. Players will be less likely to overlook the numerous polish and gameplay frustrations at launch, and stick it out. They surely will be less likely to purchase the game given what they are likely hearing about the state of the game from those who have tested or have been streaming.

7 minutes ago, Ajokoira said:

Almost everyone in my guild are waiting for launch. We have ~ 200 members with about 60 having access to the game at this time. From those 60 we had about 20 form our advance team to learn the ropes, document what it takes to get off to a fast start at launch, AND MOST IMPORTANT, make a recommendation if this game is right for us so that it should become our next 'official' game.  We didn't want a lot of folks burned out in an over long Beta. Only about 5 of the advance team are still active.

We haven't made our recommendation yet.  The game changes so much with each major patch that it's hard to know what game we'll see at launch. We do know that it takes around 6 weeks to become competitive in Crowfall, so we'll get a lot of our folks involved 6 weeks prior to expected launch IF ACE gives us that much advance notice. If ACE announces a launch date with less than 6 weeks notice, we'll likely not commit to Crowfall.

macdeath_sig.png

The new player experience is as bad as a Chinese mobile game without auto-play.

Simplest things to add are more mobs to defeat early on, less traveling time between quests, and more events (I actually got a little excited when I ran into a hunger crystal).

The great irony is that MO2 has absolutely zero NPE. You just...start. 

IMO, Crowfall should start at infected. So new players start on a team. They join chaos, get that chat, get the protection, can see the chaos vendors (make chaos temple have player vendors). They begin in chaos lands.

I agree with Prom, it's a model that has worked before, and I believe that it will work better for Crowfall if people get a sense of belonging immediately, instead of just dropping in solo and surrounded by randoms.

Frankly, I know some time went into this simple NPE, but it's just so disconnected from the rest of the game. People finish their questline and then they're like...what now? Because the game has NO MORE QUESTS. So they spent their first few hours following a quest line and then nothing.

That, combined with very, very necessary QOL updates could help retention quite a bit:

• A group invite button, better interface with mouse clicks and not commands.
  • A guild interface, including invites and joining in game. Doing this via the forums feels so bizarre and needs to go.
  • A NPE that includes is a cinematic about the hunger, the world bands and gods
    • "Long ago, life persisted on many, many worlds. There was still strife, but resources were plentiful and so, then, was peace. The gods fought often, but it was petty and resolved quickly. It only rarely escalated to true war...." whatever
    • Heck, just VO the lore scripts already written

"Before time, before even Kronos, there was the All-Father alone."

5 For He shall be known as the Oldest of the Gods, All Father of the Heavens and He Who Sang the Universe Into Being. 6 These titles and more shall be granted unto him, for He is King by right, and ye shall call him 7 Valkyn the Ancient, Creator of the All, and He Who Sits Upon The Dragon Throne.

8 The Dragon Throne is His and His alone, though it be ill-named, for surely it is more Throne than Dragon. 9 In the Time before Time, the Great Lord came upon the Wyrm Eternal, 10 and lo, did it anger him. 11 He ripped the great beast asunder, turning one into two 12 and He did name them both. 13 The one he called Yaemir, King of Snakes and the other Lyessa, Queen of Wyrms.

14 And yet his work was not yet done. 15 He bent the great tail of Lyessa, twisting it unto itself til the arch of her spine formed the Heavens above 16 and thus was the Sky given substance, and form. 17 The stars appeared in the glinting on her scales and her breath became the eastern wind. 18 He stole Yaemir’s fire, and hung it in the western Sky. 19 He called this work the Sun. 20 He stole Lyessa’s unborn, placing her egg at the eastern edge of Heaven. 21 And he called this work the Moon. 22 The King of Snakes dared not move, for fear his wife would be broken. 23 The Queen of Wyrms dared not move, lest the Sky collapse and her children perish.

24 His work finally ended, Valkyn did sit on Yaemir’s back, making the creature His living throne. 25 And there He sat, for time immemorial 26 until the death of Gaea, and the Hunger.

"And Valkyn gifted the universe to his sons..."

22 And so the High Prince Arkon accepted as his birthright the Sun, which was stolen by his Father from Yaemir the serpent king. 23 His brother Kane was furious that he should be denied the gift of fire, for the great smith loved not his barren realm the Moon.

24 Arkon took the rising sun as his symbol, adorning it on his golden plate and tabard. 25 He took Gaea for his wife at his Father’s insistence 26 and she bore for him the Race of Men. The children of Arkon and Gaea did multiply beneath the Arch and the flickering light of civilization took root in the shadow of Lyessa. 27 The last of their issue was the Race of Elken 28 and Prince D’Orion the Sky Hunter the first of his kind.

29 For many years there was peace and the union was fruitful 30 but the marriage of Justice and Life was one of convenience, not Love 31 and thus was it poisoned at the root.

"And, in the absence of Love grew a forbidden tryst..."

2 and so did Arkon swear to bring his brother to Justice 3 but his heart sought vengeance, not peace. 4 With bitterness and anger, he took up the greatsword Retribution and swore that this crime would not go unanswered. 5 The High Prince cried across the Heavens to his twin, 6 “As thou has shamed me, so shall ye be shamed!” 7 and he challenged Prince Kane to a duel by light of first morning.

8 The younger prince Kane did weep, for the loss of his brother was almost as great as the loss of Life 9 and the shame fell heavy on his great shoulders. 10 On break of dawn, Kane did come to the place of his brother's choosing 11 but he brought not the greathammer Sorrow with him.

12 The first bird of morning did witness his arrival, and said unto him 13 “why do you come thus unarmed to the house of your Father?” 14 and Kane replied, “I cannot undo that which I have done. I wish to live no longer."

"And the gods split into their three factions: Order, Chaos, and Balance"

Then, I don't know, have people hear the lore as they click on the different racial options. Have them pick a God, so they know what faction they join. Something that is more "connecting" to the world, instead of just a simple quest chain.

Honestly, I think its just the disconnect of what the game tell you its about and what its actually about.

What the game tells you its about, from the perspective of a new player: Standard MMO progression systems, loot, and vendors with a food meter.

What the game is actually about: POI based PvP strategy metagame that assumes you have already finished that progression

Until ACE can marry these two concepts, Crowfall is going to be confusing and frustrating for new players. People may have complained about passive training, but at the very leat when we had passive training the game had a unified message to new players, and that message was "you are here, gear up and fight people"

Now the message is muddied. Is this a game about earning XP and belts? Is it a game about fighting over POIs?

Even the NPE doesn't answer that question, in stead giving the impression that, indeed the game is about doing standard progression POIs, with no indication at all of the primacy and necessity of the crafting progression and only saying "hey these pvp objectives exist if you feel like it". The entire thing trains you to farm gold and drops and interact with NPC merchants from beginning to end with only minor lip service payed to harvesting and crafting or what the player expected goals even are.

Players that reach the end of the NPE still have no idea why or how important the harvesting and crafting grind is, or that it is the ONLY thing they should be doing, or that everyone who already did it isn't going to help them through that process in any way because they're playing a completely different game. They know POIs exist, but most have literally interacted with none of them aside from perhaps a tower and come away with the impression "oh I can do a pvp thing as an optional system for extra loot"

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

NPE is utter garbage. Sorry to the folks that wasted their time working on this, but crowfall needed a new player EXPERIENCE to hook them in the first few hours, not some basic quest line time waste to level up in a game that wasnt designed for leveling or questing. Great job with adding the escort quest to the "npe", way to take a bad idea and make it worse. 

Edited by mystafyi

1. No flow like other mmo's, quests in other games help with the transition from area to area and content within the game, crowfall npe is rather to simple and to fast which leaves players wondering what to do after they hit infected and when they hit level 30. Importing and exporting and the continuation of logging out and choosing different worlds just adds to the confusion that the game brings.

Fixing the flow of the game could be as simple as just queueing like any other game, have gods reach your main hub then having npc's that list the currant campaigns that are running, queue up and enter. Temples in campaigns can simply have an npc that ports you back to Gods reach (depending on what type of campaign).

2. No in game guild ui, this game really starts when your in a guild, every mmo has an in game guild ui apart from this one, this is a massive issue. 

3, Recent changes to general chat, why? i can see why they might want to remove it for dregs but for the newbie zones? bloody silly idea!

4. Respecs, unlike the vets, new players coming into the game to "test" do not know the good builds etc and are unable to respec, they will instantly think ptw for vip and leave. Allow X amount of free respecs then charge gold for extra respecs for new players for the first month or something.

5. The game is just to expensive for what it really is, they should go the ftp way and have cosmetic skins as their main income, maybe even remove the levelling and then it will simply be a log in and instant pvp type of game, Gods reach would then just be a massive city with player merchants around the place which would link well to my flow idea.

Just my thoughts anyways but Prom is right, there is something not pulling players into the game like there should be and keeping them here, this needs to change.

The main problem is one that is foundational - and it is that Dregs is seen as the main play mode (for the moment at least), and it isn't fun.

Reasons I believe Dregs isn't fun:

• No guaranteed PvP content
  • The amount effort that goes into getting a chance at PvP content is really high, and often doesn't pay off.
  • Sometimes when there is PvP content it is not scaled to your current situation - you might be solo and run into a group of 5, or you might be running as a group of 5 and run into a group of 10.
  • Many suspect that most of the smaller size groups or playerbase just run around with perma-stealth all the time.
  • Once you have set up all of your logistics with legendary stuff, there is no reason to go into dregs besides for the lulz, because by that point you have hordes of materials.
  • Sieges on keeps are essentially mandatory for their owners, despite being no promise that anybody will attack.
  • Trying to farm major runes is tedious because night cycles are so short.
  • You cannot impact your enemies holdings in any meaningful way outside of siege windows.
  • Multiple servers means even further divided player base.

The reason many of us like the idea of Hunger Dome coming back is because we like many of the game systems that CF contains.

Having really just got in to crowfall this weekend, dragging in two friends. I can tell you right off the bat, the UI and how things are explained is just wrong. Everything is in the wrong place and is just confusing. Non of us read any of the information, it was just not to the point enough. you should of had cut scenes to show players what is what, not read this boring text on a stand.

But main issue is where is the pvp, you see tons of people while in the starter zone, but once u get to 30, you hardly see no one. Infact me and a friend spent hours looking for players, he got 3 kills and was 2nd on the server for pvp kills. like really in a pvp game, 3 kills.....

You really should have some type of Auto system in place for the new people in faction for faction, where it gives u quest to run supplies and build up forts, then also give quests to go stop the other team. Have open sieges what happen which promote the small group and new players to take part.  maybe highlight the map to show what territory is controlled, have it actively moving back and forwards from npc's. (just for the new players) give them somthing to fight over till they move onto the real content.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:30 AM, Pystkeebler said:

Some people may be waiting for the game to be live. But what would make you believe that their feedback would be different than the feedback of all the other players currently testing? What would lead you to believe that the feedback of the current testers was not representative of the population at large?

The expectations of players will only go up when ACE flips the version number from 'BETA' to 'RELEASE', just as it did when it flipped from 'ALPHA' to 'BETA'. Players will be less likely to overlook the numerous polish and gameplay frustrations at launch, and stick it out. They surely will be less likely to purchase the game given what they are likely hearing about the state of the game from those who have tested or have been streaming.

You like to assume a lot and I am going to go ahead and let you know, don't put word in my mouth. I know you love to doom and gloom and proselytize people into your way of thinking. I do not entirely disagree with you, I just have the ability to be objective. No where did I say I believe their opinions are any different, I just don't speak for other people and only repeat exactly what they say to me and that has been, for along time now: Yeah I got into BETA I just do not have any desire to test/put up with wipes/deal with down times etc. That is all I am saying. 

As to your second point, I never said that either, again I made one point and one point only the rest is you just trying to speak for others and convince everyone to be as mad about Crowfall as you seem to be. Take a chill pill dude, no one is white knighting the game as it stands right now, I am simply providing another fact pertaining to why so many invites were sent out and so few play. Is this the only reason? Pfft no, not by a long shot but it is however, a reason.

There are lots of really good points in here and @Prometeu is spot on about player retention being a problem.

So in no particular order...

1) Removing general chat was a terrible idea, in fact I would go so far as having the window closed by default is a terrible idea as well!
2) Not having a portal straight to Skypoint is AWFUL (I know this is being fixed though)
3) NPE isn't great as it's not what the game is about.  The nods to harvesting and crafting aren't what harvesting and crafting are like in the game proper at all.  MLing on your own?  Skinning just to sacrifice?  And having watched a few twitch streams people spend there stat points based on what they know from other games, which is nearly always sub optimal and therefore I suggest make a point of giving new players x FREE respecs when they join a player guild.
4) Create 3 x Guilds (Sun, Moon, Earth) and assign new players to them based on a god choice in character creation.  Mentioned above, it's a good idea (they do it in Eve as well)
5) Don't tease with Hunger Dome on the Live Client.  It's annoying and confusing to new players.
6) Add a recruitment chat channel.
7) Kings / Chiefs in infected.... That's fine, but perhaps they need to be signposted a bit better, as a new player they're a nasty surprise!

Regarding not finding any action... this is a problem.  Based on current server pop the worlds are just too big... BUT, can you imagine the carnage in Skypoint with just 200 people?  I'm worried about scaling too big will be dull, too small and harvesting becomes a major issue.