Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another Assortment of Changes


Recommended Posts

TL:DR

 

Connect world bands through Hubworld

Repeatable quests

Favor Ranks

Skippable New Player Experience 

Collection of Game information into a Codex

Make open EKs easier to access 

Add Merchant Discpline to control number of vendors a player can use

Make HungerDome a worldband

 

 

Connect world bands through Hubworld: Once the player has finished the New Player Experience or skipped it at character creation they should be transported to the true Gods reach. God's Reach should be a hubworld that connects to the other world bands to create a more seamless experience than logging out and changing worlds in the lobby. The hubworld can be the new Castle, implemented as a free city, surrounded by the older town like free city which is then surrounded by the three temples(Sun,Earth, Moon). The free cities and temples would have vendor slots. Inside each temple there could be a Moongate that brings up the world band slection UI including the players EK.

Repeatable quests: Within the hubworld and inside the freecities and temples of each worldband there should be NPCs that hand out quests. These are simple repeatable quests that make the player venture out in the world and give them a loose sense of direction. Quests like capture an outpost or chop 10 trees or retrieve an item from a war camp. Handing in these quests give the players a reward in the form of gold, dust or sac items that can increase favor.

Favor Ranks: Every item that can be sacrificed can also give favor. Favor is a different type of bar that fills up, rewarding the player with increasingly beneficial buffs, titles, and items that reflect the god and faction they support. However unlike sacrifice items, earning favor is more stringent, for example giving Cybele legendary heartwood would increase your favor by 300 but giving her legendary boar meat would decrease her favor by 400.  

Skippable New Player Experience: Upon character creation there should be an option that asks the player if they want to engage in the New Player Experience, if so they are immediately taken to the NPE if not, they are leveled to 15 and given a set of novice gear and plopped down into the hubworld. 

Collection of Game information into a Codex: The various informative slides the player reads through scrolls should be given in the form of a codex that is always accessible through the menu tab, this codex can be merged with the discipline crowpedia and could also include lore slides collected around the various worlds for flavoring.

Make open EKs easier to access: Open Eternal Kingdoms that have vendors are too difficult to find. Having to parse through dozens(potentially thousands) to find the handful of desired EKs is terrible. There should be a tagging system so players can find the EKs they are looking for and EKS that are closed should not be displayed on the list of EKs.

Add Merchant Discpline to control number of vendors a player can use: Vendors should be locked behind a merchant discpline that allows players to increase the number of vendors they can place based on the quality level of the discipline. 

Make HungerDome a worldband: Hungerdome should be added as the next worldband after Dregs campaigns. Seperated into two leagues, Archetype and Non-Archetype, players would compete based on their level of risk/reward desired. Archetype league players would chose from a number of archetypes and compete as usual but Non-Archetype players would start with their own vessels, builds and equipment. Hungerdome looted equipment would have very low durability good for only 5 or so matches. Players would compete with the winning teams allowed to export a number of items they have in their inventory and win some favor as well. Losing players are only left with their vessels intact, any items they had with them are lost in the hungerdome.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Repeatable quests wouldnt be a bad thing like a couple quests a day that u get from temple or player cities, these quests should all be the same thing for the day to draw peoplein certain area to create a hotspot persay.
I would reward it a bit of gold and maybe a token that can be used to purchase cosmetic items or thing like the racial crafting recipes pages.

If they can connect world band together it would be pretty solid tbh god reach end quests take u to portal to go to infected then there a portal in skypoint that takes you to a world hub (So a map with many portals (atm it be like 2 but on release u would need more) These portal will lead to a campaign you will get a pop up with the rules and all that when u try and enter and u hit accept or what not to enter this will take u to the temple of that campaign. There will be portal back however ull get a message saying you will use x export to enter this portal do you accept or decline. would keeo the worlds much more interwined.
Upon campaign end everyone inside the campaign gets moved to the temple where they have 2 days or so were u can remain in the temple zone so u can sort your banks and things for exports. if you dont leave within that time zone back though the portal to the portal hub ull get kicked out to temple.
 

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, veeshan said:

Repeatable quests wouldnt be a bad thing like a couple quests a day that u get from temple or player cities, these quests should all be the same thing for the day to draw peoplein certain area to create a hotspot persay.

Repeatable quests eh? Pray tell, how many times are you going to enjoy having the "run 5 pigs" daily quest? Not like this is a pve themepark mmo designed with tons of leveled zones with different storylines to pull quests from... Maybe it could be an NPC that you escort while you escort pigs. 😈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Repeatable quests eh? Pray tell, how many times are you going to enjoy having the "run 5 pigs" daily quest? Not like this is a pve themepark mmo designed with tons of leveled zones with different storylines to pull quests from... Maybe it could be an NPC that you escort while you escort pigs. 😈

its more to give people something to do when they wander around aimlessly :P

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MacDeath said:

You didn't share any reason(s) with us as to why your changes would be good for the game. IMO, the devs are never gonna make massive changes unless there is something it it for them (and the players).

Connect world bands through Hubworld - Create a more cohesive experience, introduce players to a jumping off point to better contextualize the rest of the game.

Repeatable quests - Give players a sense of direction, short-term goals they can accomplish while bringing them into conflict with ohter players to better foster emergent gameplay

Favor Ranks - Adding another activity to maintain player interest and a longer term goal to work towards when not enaging in group oriented activites.

Skippable New Player Experience - Streamline the player experience for those that are already familiar with game mechanics or would like to engage gameplay quicker

Collection of Game information into a Codex - Allows players oncall access to information about the various mechanics in order to help them better understand the game

Make open EKs easier to access - Foster the growth of player-created kingdoms 

Add Merchant Discpline to control number of vendors a player can use - Preventive measure in order to address possible abuse of vendor system while also creating a new avenue of progression for players

Make HungerDome a worldband - Adds to overall game coherence and maintains central game theme of risk/reward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Repeatable quests eh? Pray tell, how many times are you going to enjoy having the "run 5 pigs" daily quest? Not like this is a pve themepark mmo designed with tons of leveled zones with different storylines to pull quests from... Maybe it could be an NPC that you escort while you escort pigs. 😈

Quests can be simple tasks that give players short -term activities to accomplish while introducing them to another way to earn gold. The quests aren't meant to be storyline based or anything like that, they can be but its not neccessary to their purpose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kendread said:

Connect world bands through Hubworld: Once the player has finished the New Player Experience or skipped it at character creation they should be transported to the true Gods reach. God's Reach should be a hubworld that connects to the other world bands to create a more seamless experience than logging out and changing worlds in the lobby. The hubworld can be the new Castle, implemented as a free city, surrounded by the older town like free city which is then surrounded by the three temples(Sun,Earth, Moon). The free cities and temples would have vendor slots. Inside each temple there could be a Moongate that brings up the world band slection UI including the players EK.

This has been on my mind more and more. It may be technically infeasible at this point, but man would it be a huge difference for the game. Being able to get to the end of GR tutorial and clicking on an in game portal that sent you to a hubworld would be a really nice "whoa" moment as you see the free city or castle for the first time. Then just being able to walk through that world to a portal that allows you to do server selection for infected and different world bands; so much better feeling than bouncing to the lobby. Much more of an MMO-vibe.

Having a Hubworld would fill so many holes in how the game feels and plays. Sure you've got the EKs, but a Hubworld with a free-city merchant quarter where guilds can bid monthly/weekly on vendor slots (an actual worthy gold sink). Some persistent space for people to go and interact. It would do so much to tie the game together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a kinda new player I agree so hard with the EK thing. Having to scroll trough a lot of closed ones and having to load in and out of the open ones, one by one, to see if they have a couple of vendors with (oh surprise) nothing of what you are looking for is a HORRIBLE system for player interaction with the open economy of the game. At LEAST let us filter the open ones PLEASE 

Edited by vajda
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Pystkeebler said:

This has been on my mind more and more. It may be technically infeasible at this point, but man would it be a huge difference for the game. Being able to get to the end of GR tutorial and clicking on an in game portal that sent you to a hubworld would be a really nice "whoa" moment as you see the free city or castle for the first time. Then just being able to walk through that world to a portal that allows you to do server selection for infected and different world bands; so much better feeling than bouncing to the lobby. Much more of an MMO-vibe.

Having a Hubworld would fill so many holes in how the game feels and plays. Sure you've got the EKs, but a Hubworld with a free-city merchant quarter where guilds can bid monthly/weekly on vendor slots (an actual worthy gold sink). Some persistent space for people to go and interact. It would do so much to tie the game together.

Even if hubworld wasn’t technically feasible(be a real shame if it wasn’t) attempts could be made to approach a semblance of it. Before NPE there was a small starter area that led to God’s reach, something similar could probably be done with the NPE leading to infected and cutting down on how many times a new player would have to log out. Throw in a supersized free city connected to infected and its a start. (On that note, regardless of everything, infected needs a free city, to at least introduce a form of trade not dependent on the schedules of other players.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ajokoira said:

So...start the PvE game creep...great idea.

 

Start? No no no. It started when leveling and mobs were introduced years ago to maintain interest, add threat and appeal to different playstyles. But having pve elements isn’t a terrible thing for a pvp game, if used correctly it can add to the pvp gameplay.

Edited by Kendread
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, McTan said:

No to repeatable quests, yes to hourly or daily divine favor cards

That just seems like timed gated public questing by another name.

Edited by Kendread
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Kendread said:

Start? No no no. It started when leveling and mobs were introduced years ago to maintain interest, add threat and appeal to different playstyles. But having pve elements isn’t a terrible thing for a pvp game, if used correctly it can add to the pvp gameplay.

Umm that isn't why PvE was added in but ok, the "leveling" which is a joke after it's been completed once is there to introduce players to the game/their character. That makes sense. I could argue against myself here and repeat (as has been done ad nauseum) that this game was originally supposed to be no levels no grind and I would much prefer that as the crucible of PvP is not going to be lessen no matter how good you are at PvE. However, I will take a correction here and even though I find your logic flawed, I will say "ok let's continue PvE creep". Which is exactly what you propose. 

As far as PvE enhancing PvP...really? do you think? Because generally people that enjoy PvE do not enjoy PvP, I obviously do not speak for the entire gaming community on this topic however since I play a fair share of PvP centric games (read: all the games I play are PvP) I can safely say based on my experience this is true.

In conclusion, what I see happening based on posts like this is another PvE game, (make guards harder, lets do more quests, lets do daily quests) with a BR game attached. Enjoy.

Edited by Ajokoira
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ajokoira said:

Umm that isn't why PvE was added in but ok, the "leveling" which is a joke after it's been completed once is there to introduce players to the game/their character. That makes sense. I could argue against myself here and repeat (as has been done ad nauseum) that this game was originally supposed to be no levels no grind and I would much prefer that as the crucible of PvP is not going to be lessen no matter how good you are at PvE. However, I will take a correction here and even though I find your logic flawed, I will say "ok let's continue PvE creep". Which is exactly what you propose. 

As far as PvE enhancing PvP...really? do you think? Because generally people that enjoy PvE do not enjoy PvP, I obviously do not speak for the entire gaming community on this topic however since I play a fair share of PvP centric games (read: all the games I play are PvP) I can safely say based on my experience this is true.

In conclusion, what I see happening based on posts like this is another PvE game, (make guards harder, lets do more quests, lets do daily quests) with a BR game attached. Enjoy.

The leveling may be treated as such, but a large reason that it was added was to give players something small to work towards that didn't require grouping or waiting for sieges. I played big world as well as on and off for years, I'm familiar with the game that was. Wartribes as well as animals(which used to get dangerous at night, hunger was tied to time of day) were added to increase the general threat of a world as well as again give people something to do while they waited for sieges. Wartribe camping and animal camping(back when animals could drop disciplines) may have hurt crafting but led to more PvP as groups fight over spots, That's PvE enhancing PvP.

I've also played my fairshare of PvP games and what matters in a PvP game, what gives it a staying power is managing to maintain a players interest beyond PvP. All those PvP games you played, how many didn't have mobs, or quests or some other activity that wasn't directly tied to killing another player but introduced you to an environment that would foster it. How many of these games boast some sort of guild vs guild combat which led to allainces controlling areas of play and how many of these games do you still play? I don't want a PvE-centric game and I am not calling for one, I believe that having the BR seperate from main game is a mistep that I hope they will reconcile. I recognize that a PvP game is built on more than PvP, it's built on an ecosystem of various interest and playstyles that come into conflict and the emergent gameplay that can result from it.

Wolves get bored and search for new hunting grounds when the food runs out, that was more or less the message behind this game's kickstarter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2021 at 4:15 AM, mystafyi said:

Repeatable quests eh? Pray tell, how many times are you going to enjoy having the "run 5 pigs" daily quest? Not like this is a pve themepark mmo designed with tons of leveled zones with different storylines to pull quests from... Maybe it could be an NPC that you escort while you escort pigs. 😈

Depends.  

I've always thought that quest pairing would be an interesting strategy. 
 

Guild A members get "run 5 pigs from X to Y".
Guild B members (NOT same alliance) get "kill X players running pigs from X to Y". 

Quests based on things that will create direct conflict seems like a good idea, but there is a pile of engineering required for that kind of thing. Hard to justify anything like that on either the short or long roadmap.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quests or not, PvE has already been added to CF and tweaked as a way to foster PvP, so no sense trying to get uppity about it at this point.

I think a better discussion is, does PvE *actually* foster PvP and if it does is it the most fun/efficient way to do so?

Right now, PvE in CF feels like chores, adding quests to that might make it feel like chores with defined quantities.

I agree with McTan, if I am right in what I think he prefers - is that the Divine favor system with quests related to that, and allowing people to choice their goals and what they want to accomplish might be a more engaging way to drive activity and PvP.

I think it could be cool if Divine Favor was something where you could select the God / Divine Favor category to honor for the season, and you got a series of quests related to earning their favor, dynamically generated based on flavor elements and the theme of the god, and maybe the category of favor.

So, for an individual - if I selected Power category or something, I might get a quest to capture 10 outposts that day. And if I succeed I gain some favor points to cash in at the end of the season for a reward. Or if I picked Wealth and Valkyn, I might get a quest to craft 10 two handed axes and sacrifice them to Valkyn.

At least then, we have some agency as to what kinds of things we do, to get closer to stuff we individually enjoy, and then see a path to gaining a reward based on our individual effort.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Depends.  

I've always thought that quest pairing would be an interesting strategy. 
 

Guild A members get "run 5 pigs from X to Y".
Guild B members (NOT same alliance) get "kill X players running pigs from X to Y". 

Quests based on things that will create direct conflict seems like a good idea, but there is a pile of engineering required for that kind of thing. Hard to justify anything like that on either the short or long roadmap.

 

I think if we can keep it simple and open enough we could reduce the required engineering. For example lets say we had a random repeatable quest from a pool of similar quests that said bring 10 birch of common quality. There are a few ways you can go about it, buy ten birch from an npc vendor(based on the quest reward this might be a net negative) gather the wood yourself, trade with another player, kill a harvesting player and loot their body, etc. This can scale the more times you do it which can lead you to more dangerous zones, so what started as bring 10 common birch could eventually lead to bring 5 legenday oak heartwood. In the time in between you are venturing to higher ranked worlds, increasing your logging or getting better at killing to be a better brigand or gathering more gold to simply buy the heartwood possibly coming into conflict along the way with players that are out in the world.

Edited by Kendread
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...