Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Allow new players to Skip straight to PvP with Archetypes

Alright, so I just noticed this:

image.png

And it got me thinking, why not allow allow players to just select one of those and go straight to skypoint?

"Well, but players need to learn the game first!"

heh, debatable. What new players need is to get hooked! And the general feedback is that the 1-30 part sucks.

So, modify Infected. Take out the dumbass safe islands. Leave it only skypoint, make it bigger. Make it a RvR map. Safe-ish with lower rank resources near each faction gate, better resources and god buffs near the center of the map. Add some siege objectives, like forts every hour.

With those archetypes new players can get to the action out from the gate. Once they find one class they like they can them lvl them (either with sac items or through the quests) and customize their char.

The tutorial shouldnt be forced on players. TBH it kinda sucks anyway. Most new players on our guild have to be taught everything from the start.

Oh, and double the XP on the quests so player end up at 30 by the end of it. What players should be getting is PvP, the faster the better.

Edited by BarriaKarl
On 4/14/2021 at 7:48 AM, mystafyi said:

or just rip leveling back out of the game, was a bad mistake putting it in and has caused nothing but problems with other game systems.

they could still do the vessel levels for applying white, green, etc. that actually feels pretty solid.  if they rip out leveling they could rip out god's reach, which I would consider a victory. There is enough of a time and material investment to ranking a vessel, that the pve loop is just as strong

3 minutes ago, McTan said:

they could still do the vessel levels for applying white, green, etc. that actually feels pretty solid.  if they rip out leveling they could rip out god's reach, which I would consider a victory. There is enough of a time and material investment to ranking a vessel, that the pve loop is just as strong

God's reach is for new players. 

What I would really like to see is changing the level restrictions to enter worlds/zones changed from "the vessel you want to use" to "your account must have a vessel of this level". 

That way a new player with a guild can just drop into Dregs with the team and have them hand them the 30-40 gold sacrifice items and be through the whole thing in a few seconds. 

The lvl 25 limit while it keeps noobs from jumping into the deep end of the pool with an anchor, also limits the ability of guilds to twink vessels to be dregs ready behind exports. 

I myself always export the coins that can stack to 100 for rapid new vessel leveling. 

3 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

God's reach is for new players. 

What I would really like to see is changing the level restrictions to enter worlds/zones changed from "the vessel you want to use" to "your account must have a vessel of this level". 

That way a new player with a guild can just drop into Dregs with the team and have them hand them the 30-40 gold sacrifice items and be through the whole thing in a few seconds. 

The lvl 25 limit while it keeps noobs from jumping into the deep end of the pool with an anchor, also limits the ability of guilds to twink vessels to be dregs ready behind exports. 

I myself always export the coins that can stack to 100 for rapid new vessel leveling. 

Your point is not without merit, and I certainly know the point of God's Reach. But, the changes they made to The Infected mean that they could simply make it a single world, IMO. It would cut down on the ridiculousness of logging in and out. at bizarre intervals. Just put the God's Reach zones at the beginning of the chain. Could keep leveling and still do this

2 hours ago, McTan said:

Your point is not without merit, and I certainly know the point of God's Reach. But, the changes they made to The Infected mean that they could simply make it a single world, IMO. It would cut down on the ridiculousness of logging in and out. at bizarre intervals. Just put the God's Reach zones at the beginning of the chain. Could keep leveling and still do this

This, the difference between GR and Infected at this point is vanishingly thin.  It also causes no end of confusion to people when they run out of stuff and need to go to Infected, quest indicator or no.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:42 PM, BarriaKarl said:

(...)

"Well, but players need to learn the game first!"

heh, debatable. What new players need is to get hooked! And the general feedback is that the 1-30 part sucks.

(...)

Well I am not sure about the general feedback, but I wanted to chime in and say that, as a brand new player, I thoroughly enjoy the 1-30 part. It's relaxing and the tutorial up until the first infected zone is really well made. At least it got me hooked, lol. And if you really want to, you can rush to 30 in a few hours, don't you? 

1 hour ago, uzul77 said:

Well I am not sure about the general feedback, but I wanted to chime in and say that, as a brand new player, I thoroughly enjoy the 1-30 part. It's relaxing and the tutorial up until the first infected zone is really well made. At least it got me hooked, lol. And if you really want to, you can rush to 30 in a few hours, don't you? 

If it's not your first character, you can rush to 30 in about 20 minutes using sacrifice tokens that your big guys left in the account vault for you.

macdeath_sig.png

19 minutes ago, MacDeath said:

If it's not your first character, you can rush to 30 in about 20 minutes using sacrifice tokens that your big guys left in the account vault for you.

Further, if you have active characters in Dregs, and don't mind spending the export slots and burning gold sac items, that time can go down to as low as 3-5 minutes. 

11 hours ago, McTan said:

I think its about PvP management. and in the future when things are busy, population management.

GR has no PvP, while ALL Infected is PVP.  Now they have these massive debuffs for going to certain areas your faction isn't supposed to, but that is not exactly the same as "nobody can do anything to you while you learn".

There is also the ability to compartmentalize what resources you can gather totally safe. 

The transition from GR - Infected is really the bumpy part, which a one way portal that let you skip the whole lobby would cover. 

I do think the transition would be better if there was a portal that took you straight from GR to infected and is only useable this way(instead of through lobby) once youve done all the quests on that account to make sure newbies dont go through it on accident

Whatever tech makes Free-City zones non-PvP should be what is applied to the main Gods Reach Zone 1-20 zone, and then have the Solaris/Sky Point by connected to that but with PvP enabled. All one, single World. No more Gods Reach no more Infected - simply Newbie World. No motherlodes, and no Chiefs/Kings level mobs.

Then take what is Infected now and reduce and make a world designed for experienced players that is basically just Sky Point and make it just that, go straight to Sky Point and find some low-risk fights, and just keep that live 24/7.

I feel like that would be a huge improvement over the current setup.