Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do we see Hunger Dome integrated into the MMORPG?

Question in title.

For me, now that Hunger Dome is a thing, I'd like to encourage ACE to figure out how to integrate. Having a separate lobby game just adds to the awkwardness of navigating existing as a player in CF. Let's get some more complete integration, so queuing for HD happens in game. Moving from GR, to infected, to dregs should happen in game, too.

There is the tried and true method of having Arena currencies that you can win, which offer a different NPC loot table.

I also like the idea of allowing this to be a kind of "wolves" style additive farm. So, winning offers rewards of use (similar to Divine Favor) - maybe some hunger shards, maybe a little gold, maybe some dust? Many options.

Speaking of Divine Favor, it might make sense, if they go the way of rotating daily/hourly cards, to do a daily HD participation card. Winning a HD associated with a particular dregs could give the teammates (or their guild) an export or some Glory points? 

I don't know how they should do it, but I am convinced that it shouldn't live as this separate entity. Plenty of examples from the last 15 years about how to do this.

44 minutes ago, McTan said:

Question in title.

For me, now that Hunger Dome is a thing, I'd like to encourage ACE to figure out how to integrate. Having a separate lobby game just adds to the awkwardness of navigating existing as a player in CF. Let's get some more complete integration, so queuing for HD happens in game. Moving from GR, to infected, to dregs should happen in game, too.

I'd like to see Hunger Dome integrated in the main game in the 2 following potential ways:

1. Make it so you can queue for Hunger Dome while running around in Dregs. I'd feel less bad about finding nobody in Dregs if I knew I had guaranteed fun somewhere on the way in the near future, like 10-20 minute time frame. Similar to queuing for instances in World of Warcraft.

2. Another option is to make it so there are instanced 5v5 or 5v5v5v5 style fights a la Hunger Dome sort of thing, that you can only gain access to from the "overworld" map. So, see Hell Gates from Albion Online - https://wiki.albiononline.com/wiki/Hellgate . The Hellgate mechanic has changed over time, but the core idea is consistent. You get the instances PvPvE gameplay accessed via the actual in-game map.

I had hopes that HungerDome might drive additional economy, but it's hard for me now, after playing a bit, to see importing things into HD from campaigns (even vessels and discs, honestly) as a positive. It's also hard for me to see the reverse being positive for the general economy either.

It's not clear to me that rewarding gold and other items to HD combatants would be positive for the overall economy. They could award some secondary currency, which the roadmap suggests vendors might be able to accept in the future. This might work if there were HD specific cosmetics that were purchasable only using HD specific currency, so that people that don't want to play HD could possible access the rewards there and vice versa. Still, the only thing that feels good, to me at least, going between the two world bands (if you can call them that) is cosmetics.

Maybe simple things, like badges and trinket items, that are easily obtainable/craftable could go back and forth. Just ways of providing small tweaks to a character, especially if they open up the itemization system a little to provide some more interesting effects/buffs that yield slightly more variation in builds (I think proc items were on the roadmap?).

There are weirder ideas like rewarding crafting books that unlock a limit number of runs of unique item skins.

I think a full gear import mode for Hunger Dome could be interesting, and would obviously tie in strongly to the main game - now that gear-import-only tech is being added to CWs this would actually be feasible. People playing the RPG-side of Crowfall are attached to their gear progression, and I think a full import HD would be a natural extension of flexing how good our poopsocking game is. I believe it would also draw more people into playing the full game, knowing that there's a "higher level" of HD competition available with all the shiniest gear available.

The main question would be how to handle what happens to that gear after the game... Would the gear just be "cloned", so that if you lost an item in HD you're not losing the item outside of HD, or would potentially losing gear be a part of the risk of joining this HD mode? Not everyone is gonna be a fan of full import, naturally, but I think enough long-term players would be interested to keep the queues rolling and it'd lower the number of those veteran players dominating the no-import HD where many newer players are just trying things out and finding their legs.

P.S. also add Hellgates pls ty

Edited by Xarrayne

P.S. Grr Winterblades 🦌

eecdd84bdc5daead4b795a3e075d2347.png

37 minutes ago, Xarrayne said:

I think a full gear import mode for Hunger Dome could be interesting, and would obviously tie in strongly to the main game - now that gear-import-only tech is being added to CWs this would actually be feasible. People playing the RPG-side of Crowfall are attached to their gear progression, and I think a full import HD would be a natural extension of flexing how good our poopsocking game is. I believe it would also draw more people into playing the full game, knowing that there's a "higher level" of HD competition available with all the shiniest gear available.

This could be interesting. But the BR/MOBA-thingamabob that HD is currently relies on the loot hunt to keep the early game interesting. You'd have to redesign some things around importing gear. One idea would be to give each POI (including gryphons) a boss-mob that grants a stacking power buff. So it becomes like an objective race inside a BR.

1. Reduce/solidify campaign type that works somewhat like a series of tutorials or stages (for lack of a better term) drawing one deeper into the game:  Basic tutorial-->Hunger Dome-->faction based campaign-->Dregs.  EKs would still remain as thing you can do.  Of course, after the basic tutorial, you could chose to join whatever campaign you'd like. 

2. There should be little risk/reward in HD--it is an arena after all, some more risk/reward in faction based, and then high risk/reward in dregs.  That may go a long way to entice people to participate in the throne-war.  (rr) HD-->FB-->D (RR)

3. Simplifying import/export extensively.  Perhaps, have a very limited export gained in HD that you can import to faction or Dregs by way of success in that game mode (my team won HD three times, we get a special weapon, yay!  But we can only use it in faction or Dregs).  Then, do the same for faction based that they can take to dregs.  The export/import ends there, and it doesn't flow the other way or across campaign instances of the same type.  In that manner, if they want to use the new toy the achieved, they can do so by moving deeper into more throne-war play.   In Dregs, players can earn titles, skins, a reputation that are permanent--that sort of thing.  They keep these wherever they go (they do not increase power, but are prestige items).  Nothing that gives advantages actually leaves Dregs, nor does it transfer over to new Dregs campaigns (again, the only way to keep advantages is to move deeper into the throne-war).  Nearly all the truly permanent, campaign crossing game rewards (NOT advantages in the mechanical sense) are earned in the Dregs.  

4. Don't worry so much about other types of games, simply make the 4 types as good as you can. i.e., as complete and engaging as possible. 

My 2 cents, anyway.

Edited by Baomaug

“... [T]he pure light of chivalry... distinguishes the noble from the base, the gentle knight from the churl and the savage;... rates our life far, far beneath the pitch of our honour, raises us victorious over pain, toil, and suffering, and teaches us to fear no evil but disgrace.” --Walter Scott