Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Family Oriented Guild?

Poweti

Are there any existing family oriented guilds out there? If not, would anyone be interested in forming one? I pledged for the Amber patron package with the intent of sharing a good chunk of my parcels with my wife and daughter, but it got me thinking, that it would be nice to have a shared eternal kingdom with several other casual players, and make it a family friendly environment for all the other players like us that won't be on constantly. I don't mind the (potential) monetary involvement in paying for many more parcels, I just want a nice, causal, and family friendly experience in this game, with a little more social interaction than soloing.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't think our guild will completely fit your bill (at least on Ventrilo), and restricts member age to 15 and above, there is a caveat for members to allow family members under that age to play as well with their own judgment and supervision.  We are about building a friendly, cooperative environment for our guildmates, and a number of our members do have children and grandchildren that play MMOs as well!

If nothing else, our Eternal Kingdom will be open for all visitors who want a safe environment to play, interact socially, craft, roleplay and any other appropriate social activities they wish.

Best wishes in making a great foundation for your family's play environment!

Hey, I'm an Inner Council (Guild Leader of sorts) in a very Family-like community called The Dark Horselords. We have quiet a few families who play and we as a whole act as a family. We are open to everyone of every age, we have members ranging from 10-50 or so years old. We have been around and survived through many games including Crowfall, Guild Wars and ArcheAge. Our player base consists of NA, Oceanics and EU players.

We are planning to open all of our available doors to all our Guild Members and to any other players during game play who are traders and the like.

If you are at all interested in joining our big family, please by all means send your Wife and Daughter to our website and join us.

If you have any questions just send our Guild Leader, Scorpi or myself any of those questions and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

http://darkhorselords.enjin.com/

Edited by Spirit

Seishin,

Dark HorseLords Inner Council

Are there any existing family oriented guilds out there? If not, would anyone be interested in forming one? I pledged for the Amber patron package with the intent of sharing a good chunk of my parcels with my wife and daughter, but it got me thinking, that it would be nice to have a shared eternal kingdom with several other casual players, and make it a family friendly environment for all the other players like us that won't be on constantly. I don't mind the (potential) monetary involvement in paying for many more parcels, I just want a nice, causal, and family friendly experience in this game, with a little more social interaction than soloing.

I like the sound of that.  At this point it's hard to guess how guilds, EKs, trade, and such will tie in together.  But my teenage son and I have each pledged to get Alpha access, and I'm thinking a nice cottage by the beach, with some good neighbors, and maybe a few crafting or trading shops eventually, would be a good Eternal Kingdom.

"and a couple of the Kickstarter packages were just crazy good"

oj57UME.gif

Note: Eye candy presented with thanks to the Crow(s) who granted permission for me to include their badge(s) in this tasty exhibit.

I like the sound of that.  At this point it's hard to guess how guilds, EKs, trade, and such will tie in together.  But my teenage son and I have each pledged to get Alpha access, and I'm thinking a nice cottage by the beach, with some good neighbors, and maybe a few crafting or trading shops eventually, would be a good Eternal Kingdom.

I'm not sure how exactly they will incentivize sharing EKs. There will be logical reasons to visit an EK, such as trading for goods you can not produce or obtain, but I'm not quite sure what real drive people will have to swear fealty or to spend time in a shared EK. Really we need to learn more about how EKs will work. 

Ideally I imagine it somewhat as a player controlled and built version of the main cities in games like WoW, and I really do hope we have the freedom to return from campaigns to EKs at any point, so that it isn't just a one time visit between campaigns. If that's the case, then yeah I really would like a way to share an (or multiple) EK(s) with other players capable of interacting like decent people, without spamming swastikas and foul language, without phallic structures placed all over, without massive guild politics tearing apart friends, and without the general unpleasantness of many guilds. 

I've gotten a few messages with people interested in joining. When I get home from work today I'll put aside some time to figure out how we can continue the discussion as a group (Finding an existing guild for us to join, forming a new guild enjin page, starting a new thread with a guild name and recruiting info, or something along those lines).

Hey, I'm an Inner Council (Guild Leader of sorts) in a very Family-like community called The Dark Horselords. We have quiet a few families who play and we as a whole act as a family. We are open to everyone of every age, we have members ranging from 10-50 or so years old. We have been around and survived through many games including Crowfall, Guild Wars and ArcheAge. Our player base consists of NA, Oceanics and EU players.

We are planning to open all of our available doors to all our Guild Members and to any other players during game play who are traders and the like.

If you are at all interested in joining our big family, please by all means send your Wife and Daughter to our website and join us.

If you have any questions just send our Guild Leader, Scorpi or myself any of those questions and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

http://darkhorselords.enjin.com/

Access denied to most pages, so I can't really see much. I'll submit an application.

@Poweti, I like your vision and am as interested as Veiti.  I looked at the dark horselords site too. Please post your observations of that guild when you can.  I may join them as well, but am waiting to hear back from some friends to learn which guilds they belong to.

LW_sig_concept3_zps7zqmgbno.jpg

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/  The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home.

If you have questions, I can organise a teamspeak meeting with you all there and get the Guild Leader, Scorpi and some of the other members and Inner Council to answer your questions and the like. We enjoy every new members input and strive to meet your needs and what you'd like to see us do.

Edited by Spirit

Seishin,

Poweti,

Looking for much of same thing. My wife would be playing and I've been through the garbage of "internet freed" souls who believe a right to express themselves means we really want to hear it.

So if you get a family friendly guild going let me know.

Thanks,

@Poweti, I like your vision and am as interested as Veiti.  I looked at the dark horselords site too. Please post your observations of that guild when you can.  I may join them as well, but am waiting to hear back from some friends to learn which guilds they belong to.

Scanning through the forums I don't see any red flags. Of course, as with most guilds, problems take time to show themselves. Since Crowfall isn't out yet, I'll have to find another game to play with them. 

I think the biggest plus I've seen so far is a lack of pressure to be involved on a regular basis, and that's definitely a good thing, since a lot of people don't have the schedules or regular availability to conform to guild rules on meetings and raids and such.

I'll find some time to play with them and chat a bit, then I'll give you guys an update as soon as I get a chance.

Poweti,

Looking for much of same thing. My wife would be playing and I've been through the garbage of "internet freed" souls who believe a right to express themselves means we really want to hear it.

So if you get a family friendly guild going let me know.

Thanks,

I have my doubts I'd be able to make the time to manage it all, so unless there were several people also interested in splitting the responsibility, it probably wouldn't be our own guild. If enough interest is shown, I can probably throw up a site, and some servers for us to play on until crowfall is up, but I wouldn't be able to manage applications and kicking people who cause problems on my own.

A lot of gamers, especially ones between the ages of 18 and 25 tend to irk towards anything "family" related... due mainly to drama.  I don't know what it's currently like in the MMO sphere as far as Drama is concerned because I've been playing EVE for the past while rather than any other MMO, thus I'd say my experience is rather limited considering most eve players are adults and keep their personal lives outside of the gamespace, we tend in our community to have a  base line expectation for maturity, enforced primarily by the brutal nature of the game - fear and respect drives people to behave themselves (and one could also argue the lack of females and kids also helps, but I won't get into that..).

I found that most MMOs guilds in particular that are family oriented, have couples in them or kids tend to be very vulnerable to drama.  And it takes some real good leadership and harsh no-tolerance rules to prevent drama.  I've been involved in several "family" guilds in the past over the years, in many MMOs and almost all of them except for 1 either experienced guild damaging or braking drama.  The only guild that didn't experience this was a raiding guild I was a part of in WoW that opened up it's raiding to random friends of the guild and other guilds they raid with, all they did was organised raids, they also didn't have any strict guild rules, they had rules for their loot system and harsh rules in regards to what you can and can not do during raids.  They also made sure to have raiding times set and to always organize them all the time without incident or delay - if you don't make it in time, you don't get in, if you complain about it you get kicked, simple.

Unfortunately as I said, in every other instance there was drama, either drama from kids, or drama from said kids parents because they got upset at the leadership's treatment of their kids if those kids broke the rules or made mistakes during guild events, be it either PvE or PvP related - regardless.  Also a big issue with family focused guilds is they tend to be very lax with their recruitment - not the same way as in multi-game community zerg guilds who recruit anyone and everything they can, but instead tend to have very poor judgement of anyone they recruit and more often than not tend to end up recruiting players who are mentally unstable and have the tendency to either bring real life drama into the guild OR themselves create drama within the guild because they are either highly intolerant of others or constantly complain about other players behind their backs.

I find family oriented guilds tend to bring in people who are bitter and have problems or degrees of intolerance and they then create more drama when a player not to their liking is in the guild, then instead of being honest and transparent, they complain to the officers or leaders of that guild, who only  care about maintaining order in the guild, punish the individuals those intolerant members have an issue with and that in turn creates drama either sparked by the person being punished or the resulting fallout of the event because that person felt they were done an injustice.

Due to these reasons a lot of guilds these days, especially PvP focused guilds would rather not invite parents with their kids to their guilds or allow them in, anyone who appears to be casual or have personal issues or anyone with negative character quirks, if I ran a guild myself I'd be very selective in my recruitment and show anyone who has "issues with some people" to the door.  Problem is these guilds tend to pander to the demands of existing members rather than care for the side of the story of that new member they constantly complained about, when in reality the member who had been in the guild since the start is the problem, not the new guy.

Also these guilds tend to spend more time sitting around looking for problems in the guild, rather than actually actively encourage the guild to serve it's primary purpose, organizing events for the community within to do.

This is going to be a community focused game, where events are organised by the community, lazy "family oriented" guilds won't last very long, nor in my opinion guilds that serve no other purpose but to mass recruit for zerging.  The only guilds that last are ones which find a balance between the two and avoids recruiting grouchy intolerant people with personal issues, which tend to for some reason always get attracted towards "family" guilds.

Best to join a small, well organized hardcore guild with defined and strict rules while maintaining a friendly tolerant environment for age, make it clear the time zone they are focused on and when they have guild events and availability and a willingness to form allies to plug the gap when there are not enough people online for events.

Also and I believe this is a requirement, be very selective with who they have as staff members, because a lot of problems in guilds are a result of one sided abuse towards members as a result of complaints from other members and completely ignoring their side of the story.  Especially in the case of children and minorities with issues (which include women) because often the child's side of the story goes ignored since it's a family guild and parents usually think kids don't know best, when the person taking issue to the kid simply doesn't like kids, looking for excuses to get them kicked out and on the other end of the spectrum, equally often the minority is believed to be telling the truth, when they could be lying.  For example, I got kicked out of a guild once for being falsely accused by a female member of doing something I didn't do and the leadership believed her and completely ignored my side of the story, simply because she was a girl.  About a month later I found out she was in turn kicked out of the guild when it finally dawned on them that she was an unstable drama queen who abused her gender as a means to manipulate others to do what she wanted them to - I'll never know the full story, but my "spies" in that guild informed me that the reason she accused me of something (I won't make public the accusation) to get me removed from the guild was because she was fearful I would expose her affair with another member of the guild she was having behind the back of her fiancé, she was one of the 4 leaders of the guild - the whole time I thought she was the guild leader and they were staff, they told me they all ran the guild together - after she told me she was in charge alone, so yeah, she spread a lot of lies and manipulated a lot of people, also during the time afterwards I discovered my removal occurred when 1) Her fiancé was "conveniently" not online to vote, 2) One of the leaders only heard her side of the story and didn't bother to further investigate and voted to kick me and the forth person voted to kick me because he was attracted to her and was bias (not going to make assumptions), apparently she was cheating on her boyfriend online with another new member and her fear was a result of me hanging out with him and her a lot running dungeons - so there you go, drama because of someone being stupid and selfish over the internet and innocent people like me are in the firing line because I was at the wrong place at the wrong time - thing was she didn't count on me being a very intelligent and inquisitive person who has ways of finding out information and exposing people, word to the wise, messing with me is a bad idea, I've been around the block!  Again an issue with family focused guilds, they tend to show favoritism towards female applicants, applicants of minorities and applicants of children out of fear of being seen as discriminatory, regardless if that person is a problem causing person or not.

Ultimately you should be just as discerning towards the guild you get into and it's leadership, as they would towards your application.  If those people don't strike you as the intelligent type or come off as people who seem self concerned , have emotional baggage or psychological problems or lack leadership skills, avoid!  (This includes ex-military veterans suffering from PDS - they tend to be a willing or unwilling catalyst to drama I've discovered). 

Edited by Synast

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

well. That's your opinion And what happened to you..

I, for myself, don't want a Hardcore guild or pvp guild with strict rules..

I just Want a guild I can talk to on ts, ppl who Play for fun and not to be best.

Play when I Want and not when the rules tell me to. And if I am not playing for one week it doesn't matter.... A place I can join when I feel like to, and have a good time without any duty...

@Synast: Thank you for piping in! I found your post informative and helpful.  I've never been deeply involved in a guild, and your post really helps me understand what to watch out for. Now I have a better idea of how the typical guild works -- even if my goals are more on the casual side.  

("He said 'casual'.  Oh No!" ;) )

Interesting to read about that little soap opera you suffered through, too. :wacko:

Thank you for taking the time to help me get up to speed.   :)

"and a couple of the Kickstarter packages were just crazy good"

oj57UME.gif

Note: Eye candy presented with thanks to the Crow(s) who granted permission for me to include their badge(s) in this tasty exhibit.

At this stage I'd suggest listening to Poweti, seems to know what he is on about.

In every Guild there will be Drama of some nature, but it can be easily dealt with in a timely fashion as with school yard fights and such. Sure, children are easily involved with drama but hey, they're learning. I don't personally see this as an issue as it is all about learning. I understand your point of view, if it be a long one, and appreciate reading that as it will help me more as a leader in a guilds council.

My guild for example has 3 women on the council and 5 men, this would be due to minority of our community at this time being male but there isn't any issue there as all our voices are heared and we listen to our community.

Also, leadership in anything whether it be real life or gaming can fail at times and that is why it is called a community. Though there are leaders who make the main choices in the end it comes down to what the community wants. Each person has an opinion that is valued and each person has a role that they like to do. If this were not so then it wouldn't be a community, it would be a Tyranny.

Seishin,

well. That's your opinion And what happened to you..

I, for myself, don't want a Hardcore guild or pvp guild with strict rules..

I just Want a guild I can talk to on ts, ppl who Play for fun and not to be best.

Play when I Want and not when the rules tell me to. And if I am not playing for one week it doesn't matter.... A place I can join when I feel like to, and have a good time without any duty...

This is precisely what I and I think many others are trying to find. We're not hardcore players (usually) and just want to be able to have fun when we can, and in some cases share that fun with our families. Yes, drama happens, to everybody, but as a few other posts above this one have said: Proper leadership/management and a good community can generally handle it pretty well.