Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New ranger, no range

Baomaug

So, I just made a ranger character primarily using a bow.  My range is below 25 m.  I am basically in melee range before I even fire (or it feels that way).  Relative to other games with bow combat I've played recently, that does not feel good.  I assume this is for balance reasons and that the range increases with upgrades.  That's fair enough, but it is very off-putting starting out.  My advice is to give starting bows/rangers at least 5 more meters (maybe as much as 10), or suspect new players anticipating and archer class fantasy may bounce off this class immediately.  Just my 2 cents. 

EDIT:  I noticed that a skill down the line a bit gives +31m to range.  That's great, but I would suggest making the starting range 30-35 and then reducing that ability by 5 to 10m to compensate.  

EDIT 2:  The green charging effect on the basic shot is fine, but the the green effect on the arrows doesn't look good.  I assume that is there to be able to track your shots better, or for others to recognize they are being shot by a bow--I get that.  However, the arrow effect on the basic shot looks like your shooting balls of ponderous green stuff, and that doesn't really say speedy, impaling, projectile of death.  

EDIT 3:  Archer combat seems fun.  I like what I see so far.  

Edited by Baomaug

“... [T]he pure light of chivalry... distinguishes the noble from the base, the gentle knight from the churl and the savage;... rates our life far, far beneath the pitch of our honour, raises us victorious over pain, toil, and suffering, and teaches us to fear no evil but disgrace.” --Walter Scott

Bows have a +ranged distance bonus stat on them. Intermediate bows generally have +10-15 range bonus. Bow powers have a base range of 15m, so 15m +ranged distance bonus = you're actual range. The soft cap for Ranged distance bonus is 20m and the hard cap is 50m. Find yourself a decent +20 range bow and you'll have your 35m range.

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

3 minutes ago, coolster50 said:

Bows have a +ranged distance bonus stat on them. Intermediate bows generally have +10-15 range bonus. Bow powers have a base range of 15m, so 15m +ranged distance bonus = you're actual range. The soft cap for Ranged distance bonus is 20m and the hard cap is 50m. Find yourself a decent +20 range bow and you'll have your 35m range.

Thanks, and I get that.  What I am saying is that if I am a new player, and I get excited about being a ranger with a bow (think Legolas, Robin Hood, etc.), run out to shoot a wolf only to find out that I have to almost stand on top of him to do so, that doesn't feel good.  It's a first impression thing.  I strongly suspect that at launch, in the chat you'll hear (not infrequently), "Man the range on the bow sucks.  This is dumb." and all the veteran players will feel compelled to say something like you did above.  Instead, I suggest that can be avoided all together.   

“... [T]he pure light of chivalry... distinguishes the noble from the base, the gentle knight from the churl and the savage;... rates our life far, far beneath the pitch of our honour, raises us victorious over pain, toil, and suffering, and teaches us to fear no evil but disgrace.” --Walter Scott

Archer get bonus max range aswell, and then u also have the high tension bow that increase ur cap further u can get like 65 odd meter range or something 70 i beleive on the elken

Veeshan Midst of UXA

• 1 month later...

Are you sure you're not confusing this with charge time.  If you rapidly left click to shoot arrows they dont seem to do anything, but if you charge them even slightly they do damage.