Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crowfall Game Update “Carnage” is Live!

Crowfall, the innovative Throne War MMO, continues on its path to redefine the genre with another major Beta release: “Carnage” while moving closer to launch

Crowfall continues to live up to its vision to offer competitive PvP gamers access to an unequaled set of diverse worlds each offering players unique PvP battles to suit every playstyle. Crowfall already features massively-multiplayer campaigns that can last a month at a time (the Guild vs. Guild world, The Dregs), as well as competitive 3-faction maps that last forever (The Infected).   Read more here

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

3 hours ago, mystafyi said:

So infected is now permanently persistent? This would be an effective hub with free-building. Yes, this is good news imho, although the EK fella's might not be so happy.

Infected hasn't really changed. I think you got the wrong impression.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Infected got a whole lot better, there is no arguing that. BUT there is no way in hell it can replace a real 3 Faction campaign. What we need is getting some Shadows campaigns going. All those beta waves ended up being wasted with no real cws for newbies to try out.

Infected lacks the end game objectives. No Divine favor cards, no majors and minors, no WINNING.

It really isnt anything more than a first glimpse at CF. And it just became 'okay-ish' this last build.

Yes about 3-Faction Campaigns. More and more I'm becoming convinced that Dregs will not be popular without significant new tech and features.

I believe launching live with just Dregs will cause new playerbase to try it out for a month for the first campaign or two so and then move on and after realizing how little the dopamine reward is for so much cortisol and time expense.

12 hours ago, Jah said:

Infected hasn't really changed. I think you got the wrong impression.

Back in 2015 ACE sold us this game advertising about "Eternal heroes, dying world".
The same word "eternal" is still used for the player owned worlds, which never disappear.

I suppose most of backers "got the wrong impression" the EKs were intended to be the only persistent worlds.

Let say this was since the beginning the innovative vision of Todd and his gang crew. As @mystafyi correctly pointed out, this is the first time ACE states Infected "band" is made of (how many?) permanent worlds.

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

28 minutes ago, RikForFun said:

Let say this was since the beginning the innovative vision of Todd and his gang crew. As @mystafyi correctly pointed out, this is the first time ACE states Infected "band" is made of (how many?) permanent worlds.

It's not exactly new. God's Reach and Infected have been like this for years. I think you both are reading too much into the word "permanent." Nothing that happens in these worlds has any lasting effect. They lack any real persistence. Down the road, when they think of ways to make these worlds better, I am sure they will replace them. Nobody will care when these "permanent" worlds are deleted because nobody will be invested in these worlds.

It's definitely not the first time ACE have described them this way. Check out the FAQ entry on Infected, which was clearly written a long time ago, because it describes Campaigns as faction based (so it was before Dregs was implemented) and still refers to the factions as Order, Balance, and Chaos. Link: HOW DOES THE INFECTED DIFFER FROM THE OTHER WORLDS?

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

1 hour ago, Jah said:

I think you both are reading too much into the word "permanent." Nothing that happens in these worlds has any lasting effect. They lack any real persistence. Down the road, when they think of ways to make these worlds better, I am sure they will replace them. Nobody will care when these "permanent" worlds are deleted because nobody will be invested in these worlds.

I am confused now. Permanent, forever, eternal, persistent all mean the same thing in this case, they will not have a defined ending like the other campaigns. I was not talking about the fact that players cannot free-build/destroy or modify the game world in real lasting way. Ace has already spoken about adding free-building into the game, they mentioned dregs at the time, but it would make more sense to include this into the ONLY campaign that will last forever. This will allow for players to get invested into a 'main hub' world instead of temporary ones. 

I think what Jah means is it doesnt matter if it is permanent if it doesnt matter. Infected would need to matter to more people before it being there start counting for something.

For example, if it was possible to place vendors there then now it would be interesting to guilds. A cw reward that gives you a one month vendor there, a good way to both give newbies a place to buy and guilds a way to make money.

That is just one thing I tought would make a Eternal world useful. They would need that and more. Maybe a way for guilds to compete for Recruiting places? It has to matter for something. Interaction between new players and guilds would be the most straightforward way.

Agree that Infected feels pointless, and doesn't matter.

27 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

For example, if it was possible to place vendors there then now it would be interesting to guilds. A cw reward that gives you a one month vendor there, a good way to both give newbies a place to buy and guilds a way to make money.

I have to quibble with this a little bit, though. New players don't just need to be SOLD TO, they need a place they can be INVOLVED in the market. It needs to be feasible for a new player to put down a vendor, if they want to. The economy needs to be more inclusive, and not simply driven by the merchant elite class. There needs to be a lower barrier to entry into the market.

Agree that large free cities in infected could support that.

1 hour ago, BarriaKarl said:

I think what Jah means is it doesnt matter if it is permanent if it doesnt matter. Infected would need to matter to more people before it being there start counting for something.

Free-building in a permanent world would matter. We will see.

On 4/27/2021 at 3:10 PM, BarriaKarl said:

Infected got a whole lot better, there is no arguing that. BUT there is no way in hell it can replace a real 3 Faction campaign. What we need is getting some Shadows campaigns going. All those beta waves ended up being wasted with no real cws for newbies to try out.

Infected lacks the end game objectives. No Divine favor cards, no majors and minors, no WINNING.

It really isnt anything more than a first glimpse at CF. And it just became 'okay-ish' this last build.

It lacks progress, it lacks rewards, it lacks incentives, map lacks the ability to set compass markers, etc.  When I see people in infected 90% of the time it's farming mobs, 8% of the time it's just randomly passing by harvesting in the world, 2% of the time it's taking outposts.  Keeps and forts are almost completely ignored.  I tried multiple times to get help taking forts.  Ironically the only person interested was on a different faction.

When keeps and forts are almost always locked (especially at night, night shifters get NOTHING to take) and all the rewards and incentives are on the mobs...you get what is expected....people farming mobs and ignoring PVP.

My thread from last week was a proposal toward making an improved Infected that functions as a 12-faction, God-organized "Capital" world, with the best buildings, buffs, and crafting, that doesn't involve instance-hopping to real-money bought worlds (EKs). The material needed to improve your Capital cities can only be found in Dregs. The Capital worlds can have a throne-war leaderboard that consolidates through God pledges. Hence, an actual gameloop. Jah insisted on that thread that EKs are the superior avenue for the improved gameloop; I definitely respect his unwillingness to spend time in faction worlds (I'm not the biggest fan myself). I suspect we would both agree that a merged version of Infected and EK is probably the appropriate vision for the future, even if we disagree on the specifics.

Some place where we take our spoils of war to feed the warmachine and demonstrate our victories and prowess. For me, I prefer that to be public, shared space - so would put it in a revamped Infected. EKs will never be interesting to me because 99% of stuff in there was bought with real money, and they are instanced, can be set to private, and (currently) don't have 24/7 uptime.

Edited by McTan

Is it just me or does the Infected seem like a tutorial/leveling zone?  Maybe that's just a population thing at the moment, though it seems like it could use more love and fanfare. 

“... [T]he pure light of chivalry... distinguishes the noble from the base, the gentle knight from the churl and the savage;... rates our life far, far beneath the pitch of our honour, raises us victorious over pain, toil, and suffering, and teaches us to fear no evil but disgrace.” --Walter Scott

3 minutes ago, Baomaug said:

Is it just me or does the Infected seem like a tutorial/leveling zone?

I believe that is its intended function. And I think it should stay that way. It should be improved, of course, to better serve that function. But it shouldn't be turned into some kind of hub for veteran players.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

3 hours ago, Jah said:

I believe that is its intended function. And I think it should stay that way. It should be improved, of course, to better serve that function. But it shouldn't be turned into some kind of hub for veteran players.

Interesting.  It was supposed to a "campaign", like an alternative to Dregs, with less risk and reward.  I was going to say, "Wasn't it supposed to be..?" but I caught myself, because I know for certain that it was--but let me put that aside.  So, since the 12 faction campaign is functionally removed (at least for the time being) and the Infected is now tutorial/leveling zone, that leaves Dregs, and now Hunger Dome TM, as the "real game" for lack of a better term.  Well, I can see why they did that (ie, population), and I hope it works out.   

Edited by Baomaug

“... [T]he pure light of chivalry... distinguishes the noble from the base, the gentle knight from the churl and the savage;... rates our life far, far beneath the pitch of our honour, raises us victorious over pain, toil, and suffering, and teaches us to fear no evil but disgrace.” --Walter Scott

3 hours ago, Jah said:

Welcome to the club, I thought passives shouldnt have been deleted, or economy and EK abandoned long ago. In the end everyone will be disappointed, even their small utah investors.

Just now, mystafyi said:

Welcome to the club, I thought passives shouldnt have been deleted, or economy and EK abandoned long ago. In the end everyone will be disappointed, even their small utah investors.

I think you are mistaken. ACE isn't making Infected into the hub that you and others want them to.

IhhQKY6.gif

17 minutes ago, Baomaug said:

Interesting.  It was supposed to a "campaign", like an alternative to Dregs, with less risk and reward.

I think you are confusing Infected with Shadow. Shadow is the faction version of Dregs campaigns.

IhhQKY6.gif

1 minute ago, Jah said:

I think you are confusing Infected with Shadow. Shadow is the faction version of Dregs campaigns.

Wait, wasn't Shadow supposed to be GvG?  So, let me back up, I am pretty sure that it went like this: God's Reach was the 3 faction campaign, the Infected was the 12 faction campaign, Shadow was GvG, and Dregs was free-for-all (which is functionally GvG, but I digress).  I am pretty sure that's correct.