Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

-L.F.G.- A Beginner's Guide to Gathering

Posted (edited)

First things first my apologies for the roughshot nature of this guide, tis my first time making something like this in a long while.

This guide becomes mostly relevant after you've completed the new player experience which will take you through all three temple zones. 

>Quick Tips
- Numlock is the Auto Run Key

- The Respec Scroll is located at the same location as the faction change banners. 
- You can change factions inside the temple by selecting one of the banners shown below, They're inside that tent/booth type thing to the right. This area is the opposite doorway on the Sentinels plaza from where all the vendors and crafting benches are.
ueNGfYj.png

Alrighty! Lets talk about how to get you started on Gathering!

First up, there are five different types of Gathering

Mining = Ore
Quarrying = Stone
Skinning = Hide
Logging = Wood
Gravedigging = Bodyparts

Each of these gatherings requires the use of one of your exploration discipline slots. You can purchase the common gathering discipline from a vendor inside your faction's temple. You should have met him during the tutorial. He's over here.
PnfcRjr.png
He's more towards the back, as you get closer too the bank you'll see the icons for the Minor Discipline Vendors. See em back there in the image below? They're up in the back and too the Left.
Gtp2BSP.png
Here He is! The vendor you want to talk to is the one with the blue diamond over his head on the right hand side since theres 2 of em now! <picture update coming soon>
SpyOW0d.png
If you're talking to the right fellow, you'll be seeing a shopping interface like this!

<The following section is pre .530, this vendor has been divided into 2 separate vendors, gathering and crafting. All additional information is correct>
RZ4XfJj.png

I know it looks a little complicated and intimidating, but don't worry we'll break it down step by step. The first line of Discs, the ones that cost 1500 gold, those are all the advanced crafting profession disciplines. Well come back to those later. For now we want to focus on the row just below those, the ones that cost 325 gold. Each of those are the Common Gathering Disciplines.

So now you know where to get a common gathering discipline from, everyone just calls these discs by the way. But what do you do with it? The tutorial showed you the vendor but didn't explain how to equip them. For this part, lets open up your Inventory screen! As you can see below, most of the screen looks familiar, but you'll see in the upper right hand area that I've got the 'Discipline Tab' open rather then the 'Equipment Tab' which is open by default.

bqfPHuX.png

As you can see on this character, I've already got both my Exploration discipline slots filled, (Id have shown a blank but I've run out of characters, I apologize). To equip a discipline its a simple matter of dragging and dropping into the slot. But be warned, unlike equipment you can't un-equip disciplines, you can only remove them by dragging them out of your inventory and destroying them. This'll be important later since you'll be replacing your disciplines with higher rarities as you go along, this is the primary method of progression for crafters and gatherers.

Alrighty! You've got your common gathering disc equipped, I'd advise Wood, Ore, Stone, or Leather as your first, gravedigging is really only used for necromancy which is gated behind group content so its a little tricky just starting off. Lets talk about tools! So far you've probably been using the common tools that you can make using the crafting menu J. Equipping your common discipline has now granted you a 'trait' that allows you to equip intermediate tools of that gathering type. See how below it says Traits Granted, Skinner and Intermediate Runestone Knives? Traits are what allow you to equip better tools and gear.

7ZFnYWq.png

Inside the vendor area (opposite the side with all the vendors) you'll see a plethora of crafting benches, starting off we only need to focus on 2 of them. Starting with the wholly unimpressive but very important general crafting bench.
DGHqfZ1.png

You're going to need a couple of resources for this part, so if you haven't yet wander outside the temple and gather up a handful of non basic ore, wood, and ethereal dust if you don't have it. You only need afew to start off. Opening up the General crafting bench will show you this screen!
UtFUuZE.png

As you can tell this has a lot of different drop downs, the ones we are going to be using is 'Runecrafting' and 'Basic Crafting'. From the basic crafting menu we'll be making a few tools same as we did before. If you use wood you gathered from a tree that is not Knotwood you'll get a 'Sturdy Tool' rather then a 'Tool', the only difference here is durability, but when crafting all durability is cumulatively added together, so small efforts help in the long run.

CaJHv5K.png

CI4r2Ja.png

After you've gotten your basic tool, sturdy or otherwise, lets pop open the Runecrafting tab on that list.

niV5LIV.png

Like I said we'll be crafting an intermediate Harvesting Tool, so select the one you want and now we'll be using those resources you gathered earlier. For this recipe, you can't use slag, so make sure you've gathered from the glowy ore nodes out and around the map. I know the drop rate is pitiful, I promise we'll be getting to how to fix that.

qMxFSZ0.png

Up till now, you've probably never had to deal with Assembly chance. I'm using my Runecrafter for this explanation which is why my Assembly stats (Shown down there in the bottom right just above difficulty and below the reset button) are a fair bit higher then most of yours will be. That success chance percentage down there is the thing stating how likely it is that your crafting will succeed. Lets talk about if it fails real quick, if the item does fail, don't worry, its still usable and it still has the base stats of what the crafted item would be. Its not good, but its still usable overall. Now, when you press assemble on this and succeed you'll be shown this screen. For most this will be your first time actually touching the real crafting system.

r94cfOW.png

This is the 'experimentation screen' for crafting. Most of you will have one maybe two points of experimentation to work with. You can 'roll' them on any of the stats listed here, for a intermediate runestone pick you'll have Durability and Mining. Lets click on those little diamonds below those two stats on the left hand side to slot our experimentation points.

jJPHGj5.png

I went ahead and threw all mine into Mining for this example. Now, you've got your points in place, but what does that mean? For every experimentation point the crafting system is going to do a roll, this roll will determine a value from Critical Failure to Amazing (I think, I stopped paying attention to the names a long time ago, shiny golden dot good) for each individual roll. How likely you get a success or better is determined by your risk, which is described in that fancy box just below where we put in our experimentation points. See here how the drop down under 'Add Risk' says 'No Additional Risk' right now? That means I'm getting no bonuses to the stats beyond the result that i just explained (Shiny golden dot good, makes big stat bonuses).

I'm going to change that stat for demonstration purposes, for general crafting, I'd suggest trying to keep that 'Your experimentation stats' value and the 'Final experimentation difficult' within about 10 of each other, but that's just advice, feel free to deviate and go crazy.

NwUu8Xw.png

So! I ran this on the 'ARE YOU INSANE' Level of risk difficulty from the risk drop down, Initially I had six failures out of nine. Each failure gave me around 4% bonus for rolling on the 'Are You Insane' difficulty but 0%, Critical Failures will give you negative percentages that will take away from your total. As you can see in the image above, only 3 of the little dots are dark 'failure' indicators rather then the six that I just stated.

This is because I used the 'Polish' option that you see just above the 'Take' button, polish re-rolls 3 of your lowest rolls on a crafting experimentation and will always give you at least 1 level better of results, for instance turning three failures into three success and reducing my overall number of failures.

Sorry if its not super clear here. 
In summary:

The number of experimentation points are the number of times the system rolls. Higher rarity crafted items will give you more chances to roll, but you need more points to spend.
Each roll gives you Flat percentage bonus to the stat based on result, Critical Failure is negative, Failure is 0, Success grant bonuses.
Increasing Risk gives you a flat bonus to the percentage bonus granted by each roll regardless of result.

I think thats about as straightforward as I can make it, my apologies if its still unclear. Either way, hit that take button and lets get to some gathering!

Now that youve got yourself the Common Gathering Disc and its equipped you can equip your intermediate gathering tool.
CaCIdLE.png

As you can see here, there's some green text there that says 'Excavating Ore in The Infected and Dreg's Campaign Types can now yied the Miner Discipline' and this is super important, because this is how you progress as a gatherer. You'll need to gather 'Uncommon Gathering Disciplines' that will drop from resource nodes (so Trees, Rocks, Graves, Etc) while you are gathering using these tools.

When equipping the common discipline the game should also give you an explanation of the harvesting wheel which is super important to stamina management in gathering. Keeping your stamina up is how you keep a 'retaliate' in your pocket to help you not get killed if you get attacked. Theres an explanation on the gathering wheel further down.

Lets get to explaining some parts about the gathering now! Namely explaining Ranks, Plentiful Harvesting, and Motherloads.

First things first, all gathering resources have ranks. They rank between rank 1 and rank 10. The Gods Reach campaign only goes up to Rank 6. The higher the rank the better chance you have of getting uncommon+ drops from said resource node. However the trade off is that the resource node will have more armor, health, and generally take a lot longer to get through.

In the temple area you'll find rank 1 nodes like this.
gRBzYHq.png

You can tell this node is Rank 1 because when you hover over it you'll see the box that will tell you the rank. When you hover over a node you will also see the Plentiful Harvest Stat. The Plentiful Harvest Stat goes between 1 and 5 and dictates the drop rates for nodes. You can boost your plentiful harvesting stat by getting better gathering disciplines, using potions, and getting the dined condition from kebabs.

See how below on the discs it lists the Plentiful Resources: Ore, that stat is Plentiful Harvesting as listed when you hover over a resource.
Critical Harvest Chance is the chance for a large amount of bonus resources to be harvested when you finish a node
Plethora of Dust just increases dust drop rate.

E1qShUk.pngqyuuP2o.pngvju49ap.png

Kebabs look like this, you've gotten some from the tutorial quest, different types of kebabs buff different gathering Plentiful Harvest Stats. These can be made at the cooking station located almost directly behind you if you're looking at the general crafting station in the temple. Aside from the meat or mushrooms you can buy all the supplies from the vendor with an apple on their head located just across the way inside the vendor area of the temple.
E6duvgi.png

And lastly to boost plentiful harvesting you can use Potions! These are crafted by anyone using an Alchemy crafting discipline at an Alchemy bench and will require a bit of stone (16 per potion), a water flask, and 6 of the resource you are making the potion for, so six non slag ore for mining potion for example.
5DtxtE2.png

Fair warning! You can only have one potion, one wined, and one dined buff each at a time. So if you eat multiple kebabs or drink multiple potions, only the last potion or kebab will have an effect.

Alrighty, now that that's covered, lets talk motherlodes! Motherlodes are the large resource nodes you see in the world that take multiple people to take down. The tutorial told you this, so that's all there is too it right? Noope!

Motherlodes look like this to start.
kowAiR2.png
4h2fGMr.png

So i'm sure you've seen them whilst running around. These motherlodes need both multiple people hitting them and one person using the active ability 'Take it down' from the Foreman Discipline. The Foremen discipline can't currently be found in Infected and can only be purchased from Eternal Kingdoms on vendors. If you're adamant about pursuing Jewelcrafting or Necromancy, reach out to Altybear (the person who posted this) and lets talk. Why would I say something like that? Well its because these motherlodes are the only locations that drop Minerals (used in ambrosia and philosopher solutions which are base components in necromancy) and Gems (which are the raw materials needed for Jewelcrafting)

Anyway, if you're looking for a Foreman Disc, they look like this for reference and one person will need to use an exploration discipline slot to equip it.
9qY5cT1.png

Alrighty! So by this point, hopefully you've farmed up a bit of your chosen resource, maybe gotten lucky and picked up a few greens if you're harvesting rank 4-6, maybe rank 3 if you're really lucky. If RNGaia has smiled upon you, you've also gotten an uncommon gathering discipline drop by this point. 

As seen below you've gained the active use power Energetic Harvesting and the passive Harvesting Power. Well what do these do? Ive got the explanation for the skill spelled out below.

9sOL1IT.pngEdadNvO.png

By using the ability Energetic Harvesting, which will need to be put onto your hotbar from the K menu, you'll spend a certain number of pips that are generated every time you hit a node in the circular display shown below. The central icon will change based on the number of pips present in the in your harvesting wheel.

lbVOp4m.pngFcDt1rT.png

Here I've got the wheel displaying 0 pips, meaning Energetic Harvesting cant be used and displaying 2 pips which means if I use the energetic harvesting ability I will gain the 'Perceptive Harvest' Buff as listed in the tool tip a little further up.

For lower level harvesting these aren't super important, but once you really get going the stamina you'll save by optimizing your buff rotation is really nice. I'm a fan of 4-1-2 since you can do it fast enough to get the upgraded buffs for both 1 and 2 before 4 runs out. Try experimenting around with the effects and see what you like.

Gathering Wheel now badly explained, lets move onto the new trait that you received for equipping an uncommon discipline. If you look up at the uncommon Skinner Disc that I've got a little bit up from here, you can see that it now says 'Slots Granted' Harvesting Toolkit.

A harvesting toolkit is a gathering item which gives you a drop chance for each gathering professions unique drop. These are specialty items that are used in crafting, remember minerals and gems that I mentioned up in the motherloding section? Those are drops that you need one of these belts to have a drop chance for. The belts are sold on the vendor where you bought the common exploration discipline from and each of the gathering belts cost 2,500 gold pieces.

J7jnJOh.png

So, a quick rundown on what all the specialty items are used for, after all, if you're gathering them you should at least have an idea where to sell/use them.

Mining: Gems, Harvested from ore motherlodes, used as a base component in Jewelcrafting.

Quarrying: Minerals, Harvested from stone motherlodes, used as a base component in Alchemy recipe Ambrosia and Philosopher solutions, both essential for Necromancy.
                 Cutting Grit, Harvested from small single nodes, used to make diamond cutting discs in Stonemasonry, essential for Jewelcrafting.

Logging: Heartwood, Used in woodworking recipes, primarily specialty quivers for bow users.
               Beeswax, I think this one is used in cooking (Artisan Cheese), honestly I cant tell you since I've barely touched the stuff.

Skinning: Bone, Ground and used in Alchemy for the Gem and Mineral Harvesting potion which increases gem and mineral drop rates by 20% Super good, requires 6 of the same rarity per potion.    Blood, Used in jewelcrafting for combat based bonuses.

Gravedigging: Grave Goods, I know they sell for a lot, but aside from that I don't know a current use, necromancy additives are looted off enemies and skinning mobs.

(Feel free to comment below any additional uses for these bad boys!)

So Congratulations! You've got your feet firmly planted as a gatherer now, but how do you advance from here?

Lets open up your crafting menu, J, and look down at the bottom at the 'Upgrade Items' tab, particularly the 'Upgrade Exploration Discipline' for this example.
dcl1FJb.png

This menu is how you upgrade your disciplines. You'll need 3 uncommon disciplines to make into a rare and 12k gold to fund the purchase of the 3 domination dust that you'll need, you can buy those domination dusts from the exploration discipline vendor all the way in the lower right hand corner. The Soul essence drops from Thralls that will spawn randomly around the maps at night, you've likely seen them around.

Anyway! Thank you for sticking with me to the end, and I hope this shottily put together guide will at least give you a bit of assistance. I'll likely be doing revisions and edits as things come to me down the line, so consider this a WIP of sorts. At this time I'm obligated as a guild leader to shill my guild. So please, check us out, Lion Forge Guild over on the guild recruitment forums.

m4t4hq6.png

Edited by Altybear
Update in progress for .530
Posted (edited)

This is an awesome guide!!
Be sure to add a blurb on Critical harvest chance and Critical harvest amount Crafted gear.  It can double or triple the amount of materials you harvest.
A white quality crafted sets for harvesting can have better stats for combat than wartribe blues (and some epics) AND you can use it to greatly increase your efficiency harvesting.  Oh and they last 4 times as long as pve dropped gear

Edited by neven
25 minutes ago, neven said:

This is an awesome guide!!
Be sure to add a blurb on Critical harvest chance and Critical harvest amount Crafted gear.  It can double or triple the amount of materials you harvest.
A white quality crafted sets for harvesting can have better stats for combat than wartribe blues (and some epics) AND you can use it to greatly increase your efficiency harvesting.  Oh and they last 4 times as long as pve dropped gear

I'll add that information in on the crafting guide to break down some of the inter-dependencies and the 'goals' for gathering. But that's a project for another day. I don't see adding information that no newbie is reasonably going to be able to acquire without getting late game help, I was iffy about including the info about foreman, but I see the question asked often enough in General chat on Infected I thought it'd be worth the explanation.

Essentially I tried to stick to resources that could be self sourced (aside from foreman) on your very first day of play for this explanation.

Posted (edited)

200.gif

I appreciate you making a post like this. Now that the game is starting to get nailed down I'm looking forward to more community guides like this. 

Edited by ZYBAK
Posted (edited)

Thank you for the guide! It's a GREAT help and badly needed! I wish I had it a couple weeks ago when I got back into the game after being away for a couple years. It would have prevented a lot of wasted time and frustration. Best of luck to you and your guild. 

Edited by Otto

"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers".

On 6/9/2015 at 3:44 PM, Tyrant said:

Get up! the damned of the earth!
Get up, the convicts of hunger!
The reason thunders in its crater,
It is the eruption of the end.
Let's make a clean sweep of the past,
Slave crowd, get up! Get up!
The world will change its basis:
We are nothing, we are everything!

Chorus
(x2) It's the final struggle
Let's group together, and tomorrow,
The International,
Will be the Guinecean race.

There are no supreme saviors
Neither God, nor Caesar, nor tribune.
Producers save ourselves!
Decree common salvation!
For the thief to the throat,
To get the spirit out of the dungeon,
Let's blow our forge ourselves,
Beat the iron when it's hot!

Chorus

The Guild oppresses and the law cheats,
Taxes bleed the unfortunate;
No duty is imposed on the rich,
The right of the poor is a hollow word.
It's enough to languish in tutelage,
Equality wants other laws:
"No rights without duties," she said, "
Equals, no duties without rights!"

Chorus

Hideous in their apotheosis,
The kings of the mine and the rail,
Have they ever done anything else,
Then rob work?
In the safes of the gang,
What he created has melted.
By decreeing that it be returned to them,
The Gatherers only want their due.

Chorus

Kings drunk us with smoke,
Peace between us, the war against tyrants!
Apply the strike to the armies,
Butt in the air and break ranks!
If they persist, these cannibals,
To make heroes of us,
They will soon know that our bullets
Are for our own generals.

Chorus

Gatherers, Crafters, we are
the great party of workers;
The land belongs only to men, the
idle will go and lodge elsewhere.
How much of our flesh feasts!
But if the crows, the vultures,
One of these mornings disappear,
The sun will still shine!

Just wished there would be a paragraph explaining how stats (strength, dexterity, intel, etc.) affect crafting and on what aspects because the in-game information are too confusing for me to wrap my head around... But apart from that, great guide overall! 😁

50 minutes ago, CrazySoul said:

Just wished there would be a paragraph explaining how stats (strength, dexterity, intel, etc.) affect crafting and on what aspects because the in-game information are too confusing for me to wrap my head around... But apart from that, great guide overall! 😁

This one is actually really easy! If you open the 'Details' button on your inventory (its present on your equipment tab) youll get 3 seperate sections of stats, including crafting. If you hover over a specific stat it will tell you which core stats (dex, str, spirit, etc) feed into it.

Great guide, thanks for making it for the community. Two things that might be of note: most importantly, that from green discipline onwards, it isn’t really worth slotting a blue Exploration discipline, since you unlock the Advanced Tools at a purple disc which is almost a prerequisite for harvesting in dregs; new players sometimes miss in the Exploration tab of Details that they can read which attributes (either Str, Dex or INT) effect their harvesting stats, and why they might be doing so little damage/resource drops on their pvp builds. maybe racial harvesting bonuses, too

1 hour ago, Thon said:

Great guide, thanks for making it for the community. Two things that might be of note: most importantly, that from green discipline onwards, it isn’t really worth slotting a blue Exploration discipline, since you unlock the Advanced Tools at a purple disc which is almost a prerequisite for harvesting in dregs; new players sometimes miss in the Exploration tab of Details that they can read which attributes (either Str, Dex or INT) effect their harvesting stats, and why they might be doing so little damage/resource drops on their pvp builds. maybe racial harvesting bonuses, too

Its neat that youd mention that about the purple disc since it's a major point of discussion in the Chaos Embers to Domination Dust discussion going on here in the forums. 

But yes, I need to add a part about the details tab.