Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crowfall looks pay to win... no... yes?

I haven't got a chance to play crowfall yet but I see coins you can buy with irl money that you buy in game items with.  Some of which seem quite extravagant like the irl $150 plot of land.  Is this the business model?  Offer a limited game and to get the best you must pay OUTRAGEOUS amounts of money.  irl $15 for a mount?!?!  Sounds like a cash grab not a mmo.

31 minutes ago, phatal said:

I haven't got a chance to play crowfall yet but I see coins you can buy with irl money that you buy in game items with.  Some of which seem quite extravagant like the irl $150 plot of land.  Is this the business model?  Offer a limited game and to get the best you must pay OUTRAGEOUS amounts of money.  irl $15 for a mount?!?!  Sounds like a cash grab not a mmo.

Far from P2W. They removed the purpose for EK's a long time ago, so those spending 100's or thousands on plots get little more then a lighter wallet. Even VIP gives no real benefit atm. 

Posted (edited)

It may not be pay to win but asking $15 to $30 for just ONE mount is VERY greedy.

Edited by phatal
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, phatal said:

The land doesn't offer you any appreciable advantage over other players.  Prolly the most impactful 2 things it does is give you more storage and give you thrall buffs at any crafting table on your land which make crafting a little easier.  Both the crafting tables and the chests you have to gather materials for and craft in game.  And the land and buildings and etc can also be farmed and crafted.  The crafting benefits are actually really basic, in the proper real game thrall buffs for crafting tables get much stronger than the basic ones in your EK so they could conceivably be helpful when you first start playing but they are nowhere near competitive with proper thrall buffs from the normal played game.  And again literally all of this can be achieved in game and all of it together offers the most marginal of benefits.  QOL and fancy for the sake of being fancy really.  Though I'll say the amount of effort needed to farm those QOL/fancy features in the game is excessively high atm.

VIP Isn't pay to win but it feels unnecessarily restrictive atm.  You need VIP to respec and you need VIP to get 3 more character slots.  Given that you only get 6 character slots, VIP adds 3, and the game has 11 classes and 12 crafts though.....it doesn't feel good.  It doesn't actually affect the balance at all, you're character won't be stronger or weaker, but it does feel like some core basic game aspects are being held hostage to justify VIP.  And hell even with VIP you still don't get enough character slots to play one of each class soo.....booo.

As far as mount prices?  The reason prices for skins so high in all kinds of different games is simply supply and demand.  The common argument is that if you lower prices you'll get more sales.  This is true.  But it does not man you'll make more money.  Only a small % of people are willing to spend $ on cosmetics.  Only a % of those will be interested in a specific cosmetic mount.  So you're talking a % of a small % is your overall demographic for potential sales.  There is an inherent cap to the maximum amount of that item you'll ever be able to sell and it's pretty low compared to your playerbase.  So lets say they sell the mount for $20 and 1,000 people buy it.  That's $20,000.  If you cut the price to 10% of that for a more reasonable $2 you'd need 10,000 people to buy the mount to break even with the other pricing.  Realistically you'd prolly get something like 5,000 - 7,000 sales.  THAT is why cosmetic pricing is so stupid high.  The people who want them really want them and otherwise the demographic willing to pay any amount for that specific skin is an incredibly small % of your overall playerbase.

Edited by Ralathar44
2 hours ago, phatal said:

It may not be pay to win but asking $15 to $30 for just ONE mount is VERY greedy.

You can buy standard mounts from an in-game vendor with in-game gold at a cheap price. The swift mounts can also be purchased with in-game gold or crafted using collected resources. You don't need to have the cosmetic skins from the cash shop.

tiPrpwh.png

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, phatal said:

A legendary nightmare mount it cost money for that skin or other skins in gamee. It is not pay to win, but if you buy skins in Fortnite for instant it cost money, because developing an mmo cost a lot of moneys hence the 50k $ tournament prize in Hungerdome. 

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

On 5/4/2021 at 10:15 AM, phatal said:

No, Crowfall is not pay to win.

When you go to work do you work for free?

Do you have any idea on how much money and how many people it takes to make a high quality mmo these days?

Pay the $15.00 get a VIP account and stop your whining.

It probably depends what you want to do, most people agree that VIP gives you paid advantages. Most of us are happy to support ACE. It probably comes down to how much is tolerable. There was a thread about if tool decay, then even gear decay, was going to be P2W or seen as it for launch players:

Backers and 'whales', will have the land parcels and buildings that act as a location for a guild bank, in a game where there is no decentralised, virtual guild bank. So if you don't pay, possibly for a while your guild will be in a position back before we had working chests days, where all the guild's resources are kept in the GM/crafters' Account Vaults.