Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GW2 Pro League players and World Champion lost to RNG in HD

Posted (edited)

I believe many people know that before backing Crowfall I played Guild Wars 2 for about 3,5 years.

I noticed that in the 4th ECS qualifier there was a team of professional Guild Wars 2 players from Never Lucky and Abjured (their team was called CG Devils, Abjured is GW2 World Champions) and... they lost to a team which stood on the roof for the half of the match (Abyssal) because of the coin flip in the last minute.

They did not have enough time to kill the enemy team full of tanks.

That was also the most boring qualifier to watch.

I believe ACE should seriously reconsider HungerDome Winter mechanics and promote aggressive comps and fighting over bunker comps and hiding if the game wants to attract serious competitive players.

Edited by ComradeAma
40 minutes ago, ComradeAma said:

I believe many people know that before backing Crowfall I played Guild Wars 2 for about 3,5 years.

I noticed that in the 4th ECS qualifier there was a team of professional Guild Wars 2 players from Never Lucky and Abjured (their team was called CG Devils, Abjured is GW2 World Champions) and... they lost to a team which stood on the roof for the half of the match (Abyssal) because of the coin flip in the last minute.

They did not have enough time to kill the enemy team full of tanks.

That was also the most boring qualifier to watch.

I believe ACE should seriously reconsider HungerDome Winter mechanics and promote aggressive comps and fighting over bunker comps and hiding if the game wants to attract serious competitive players.

Their HD game is designed to be decided with rng at the end. I am not upset players have figured this out and just stand until the end rush. There have been many suggestions by players to try and fix this, but all are ignored like usual. Sunday they couldnt even fill the roster, so the good news is that your teams made it through since EVERYONE advances in aces 'ladder'.

Posted (edited)

I agree with @ComradeAma An idea for the future would be to create an arena style environment, meaning a big circle with enclosed walls where teams would fight it out to the death which seems like more straight forward in terms of 'let the best win'.  Also, Yumx organized a Colosseum back in the day which was a huge success,  people don't need a lot of fluff to have fun and have fair fights where the skill of teams determine the winner. In fact the simpler the environment and mechanics, the better in my opinion.

Edited by Belantis

Fights are also generally more exciting to watch than people just standing around. A lot of great feedback on the HD tournament thing from players, really hoping ACE reads and considers incorporating.

Yea it's painfully obvious that changes need to be made to promote aggression. 

I suggested a party wide stacking 1-1.5% personal damage modifier + cap for each kill party wide + 5% less Hunger damage taken (with an internal cooldown of 10 minutes per unique player)

That way killing players will be viewed as a resource. The phrase "should we farm gold or try and get some early kills" should be something people say. This buff may be too powerful but honestly I'd rather error on the side of "wow the team with the most kills always wins" than the other way around...

2 minutes ago, ZYBAK said:

I suggested a party wide stacking 1-1.5% personal damage modifier + cap for each kill party wide + 5% less Hunger damage taken (with an internal cooldown of 10 minutes per unique player)

That way killing players will be viewed as a resource. The phrase "should we farm gold or try and get some early kills" should be something people say. This buff may be too powerful but honestly I'd rather error on the side of "wow the team with the most kills always wins" than the other way around...

I would prefer a negative penalty from lack of kills that can be reduced to zero baseline instead of a buff that gives power. One can be exploited much more easily. 

Posted (edited)

@ComradeAma Can you explain this conflip meccanic? in a 5v5 in a small circle i actually dont get it

''They did not have enough time to kill the enemy team full of tanks.'' They had 2 times where the could easily engage us. And they decide not  to.

''they lost to a team which stood on the roof for the half of the match (Abyssal)'' Everyone can get on the roof is not a secret. 

''full of tanks'' we use 2 tanks, the game allow max 2 healers and max 2 tanks. So i don t see a problem with it.

I know that you all guys want us to loose, and im sad to make evryone mad by just trying to win a tournament, you guys r just becoming cringe at this point.

We got insulted during the tournament, in the stream, on discord and now on the forum too. If you want to make things change this is not the best way.

Anyway i wish evryone good luck to evry team in the tournament from the pros to the new ones.

Edited by Ema
1 hour ago, Ema said:

I know that you all guys want us to loose, and im sad to make evryone mad by just trying to win a tournament, you guys r just becoming cringe at this point.

We got insulted during the tournament, in the stream, on discord and now on the forum too. If you want to make things change this is not the best way.

I think people are just upset that HD promotes hiding from combat until the end and then its just a faceroll rng outcome in a ball of people. Most kills, damage, assists, least deaths, most healed, none of this really matters. 

Posted (edited)

Sure but evryone knows the meccanic before the Tournament launch. So why would you partecipate in something you don t like?

I hate battle royal cose of it, you will see in any tournaments that  the meta is not run and gun but try to get to the best and safe spot as fast as you can. I don t think BR are actually a competitive mode, but we knew what we were going to play, so we are not discussing game mods  during the tournaments but just try to compete.

We will give our feedback about the competition at the end of the tournament. Becose you cant change a game mode or a  mechanic during a competition. 

Edited by Ema

Well said @ComradeAma- bottom line is HD has two distinct and important issues to address.

1. We need incentives to drive people to have to fight one another versus full on turtle. - Zybak's recommendation I think is simple enough - several other options out there too.

2. We need to address the coin flip at the end of the match - my recommendation is the circle stays at a final small size and slowly moves like other BRs

I dont think ACE is going to want to fix this mid-qualifier, but might I recommend that the final HD tournament match doesnt have to have the precisely same meta nor the exact same win conditions as the qualifier rounds. In fact many tournaments have special rules and requirements for the finals to keep things interesting and fun to watch. This current meta will NOT be fun to watch, and that is an issue for the game.

Thanks,

Zen

The "Zen" - Zenithra/Zenatos

KGV_sig.png

12 hours ago, mystafyi said:

I think people are just upset that HD promotes hiding from combat until the end and then its just a faceroll rng outcome in a ball of people. Most kills, damage, assists, least deaths, most healed, none of this really matters. 

Literally all battle royale games work this way. Its always a combination of dice rolls for looting, getting the drop on opponents, and everyone left eliminates at the end. HD is weird because it just keeps closing in stead of just becoming small enough to make combat unavoidable. Sure it has a few extra elements slapped on from the main MMO but at its heart it is a team BR that works like a team BR no matter how much ACE insists its more of a MOBA. It is an ok mode but really odd choice for a competitive tournament style event as the draw of the entire BR genre and what made it popular is literally how unpredictable and random your advantages or disadvantages are.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

1 hour ago, PopeUrban said:

HD is weird because it just keeps closing in stead of just becoming small enough to make combat unavoidable. 

Yes, you are correct, k/d/a and other stats mean nothing in a BR its just who makes it to the end. I was trying to imply that literally nothing matters during the whole match except the faceroll RNG ball of spam at the end due to mechanics. Seems to promote building a team for just that final few moments to sway rng into your favor and just wait till the end. <yawn>

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

Literally all battle royale games work this way.

By default yes, but the BR tournament/esports formats have switched to a scoring system (Look at PUBG, Fornite, Apex Legends,.. ) that give points for placement and points for kills. It's a really simple change and it doesn't even need to be programmed into the game, you can sum it up post-game.

There was enough feedback for ACE that highlighted that issue, but the person in charge of this tournament obviously decided against that feedback and against learning from established BRs on the market with tournaments so I don't understand why so many people are talking poorly made dergs about Abyssal's playstyle instead of directing their frustration at the root of the problem: the rules that the event director decided on.

Edited by Koerpermilch
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 9:10 PM, Ema said:

Sure but evryone knows the meccanic before the Tournament launch. So why would you partecipate in something you don t like?

I hate battle royal cose of it, you will see in any tournaments that  the meta is not run and gun but try to get to the best and safe spot as fast as you can. I don t think BR are actually a competitive mode, but we knew what we were going to play, so we are not discussing game mods  during the tournaments but just try to compete.

We will give our feedback about the competition at the end of the tournament. Becose you cant change a game mode or a  mechanic during a competition. 

Yeah about that.