Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guild Size in Campaigns - Small Change, Big Impact

I have been thinking about a possible change (which I believe won't be too large in dev effort) to campaign rules that could really benefit different features in the game that aren't quite working. I know the idea has been thrown out in the past but with this proposal it wouldn't fully limit guilds and the size they wanted to be. The change:

"Set a limit on the number of accounts that can join a campaign for a particular guild."

For example, you could have a value of 20 which means that once 20 accounts of the same guild have joined a particular campaign, no other accounts of that guild could join in. 

The impact that I see are as follows:

• Import/Exports - This setting with the import/export setting would give much more control over how many items a guild/alliance is bringing in to and out of campaigns right now. Currently Import/Export settings don't do anything because people just log in with alt accounts to move items around. 
  • Alliance Size - With the 5 guild cap, this change would put a limit on the number of accounts that could be logged in at once. It would help alleviate "zerg" guild concerns and allow smaller groups to have more impact on the overall campaign. Large guilds could still operate in a way to fill an alliance so they could bring in up to 5x the campaign setting value. However, this would impact their ability to work with other guilds if they chose to go this route.
  • Account Crow Setup - This would add pressure for individual accounts to diversify among PvP, harvesting, crafting, etc. If a guild wanted to maximize their strategy, they would need to figure out the best account setups across their members to be sure to bring in a nice balance for things that need to get done. With the Import/Export problem fixed (see above) and longer campaigns after Crowfall goes live, this would add a strong need for intra-campaign harvesting and crafting.
  • Concurrent Guild Campaigns - When Crowfall goes live there should be multiple campaigns running at once. Larger guilds could participate in multiple campaigns at once by splitting their accounts as they see fit. This would also bring importance to multiple accounts in the guild having top notch crafters of the same discipline. Right now you just need 1 guild character that has maxed out each craft.

The best part of this is that it would be a campaign setting, so you could still run campaigns with unlimited accounts per guild.

The complexity would probably be exception handling like when a player switches guilds and crap like that, but I am sure ACE can find some nice MVP ways to handle those things that come up. Also forcing larger guilds to create multiple guilds so they can bring more accounts into a campaign as an alliance, but if this idea does gain traction you could create a system where a guild that brings in more accounts just counts as multiple slots in an alliance.

Guild or alliance size limits would be a good ruleset variation for some Campaigns - it's a nice solution for the "megazerg problem" that open-world pvp games tend to have that push smaller guilds out of the game. It is on the roadmap for mid-term, although no specifics yet:

mt2.png

tiPrpwh.png

I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Non-aggression Pact.  

On a serious note, what you're suggesting definitely makes a certain kind of sense.  I would think the current crafter/harvester requirements would make this kind of change really painful if those systems were not modified beforehand.

As Mira said though, I hope this and many other campaign types are available on launch to expand where people feel comfortable playing.

For some it will always be a no holds barred, bring whatever you've got knockdown drag out, but for smaller guilds to survive and thrive there definitely has to be some change, or very short campaigns (see Unparalleled's recent victory) which allows you to play specific ways that feel untenable long term.

7 hours ago, Van_Zant said:

I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Non-aggression Pact.  

a.k.a.  Unofficial allies hiding behind the word NAP.  Think every game that has PVP this is thrown around as the catch all to hide an alliances true size or potential help.  Couldn't help poke a little fun at this comment. Especially from someone in Death 🤣

2 hours ago, MrErad said:

a.k.a.  Unofficial allies hiding behind the word NAP.  Think every game that has PVP this is thrown around as the catch all to hide an alliances true size or potential help.  Couldn't help poke a little fun at this comment. Especially from someone in Death 🤣

That's the joke. 😉

Several guilds purchased multiple guild entities as "containers" for crafting alts, etc.

Reports of groups in HungerDome avoiding attacking each other even though "red".

Interesting problems, not clear how easily technology can be used to solve them.

I am not sure you will ever be able to solve NAP, nor should you. Diplomacy and strategy are part of the game and if one group decides it is in their best interest to avoid another group for whatever reason, they should be able to make that choice. 

This proposal would hope to still allow/encourage alt accounts and they would still serve a purpose.