Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First of all the hungerdome "gamemode" is great.

But however i have watched all the ECS matches (unfortunately i cant participate myself due to work) and all except one have ended by hunger.

That is honestly the most boring ending to a battle royale.

Just watches the WC2 event, Vanguard White wiped all teams they met, but still the hunger decided NOPE.

Really hope this "gamemode" is getting changed so there is more time in the end to kill each other so its not just "randomly" decided who is the winner, but instead the pvp skill that decide it.

I would prefer that the hunger isn't closing fully - but instead it closes at a small area with hills/trees and so on, so the group who is best at open world fight/using the terrain/ outsmarting the others are the ones winning.

But again, after all that has been said, I still really appreciate the ESC, and the casting is getting better so it has potential, but ofc needs some polishing.

I agree that the Hunger Dome game mode itself has many problems (i.e. too forgiving with respawns, not enough incentive to for teams to be aggressive, etc.). However, there is a problem with class/discipline design that I do not see discussed enough among the community: extremely long Time To Kill that is facilitated by the insane damage reduction from the Lord of the Forest discipline power, Wee One shrink (this can stack up to 3 times iirc), combined with the crippling ice debuff from the Frostguard specialization. Most meta teams run both a Frostguard and Arbiter cleric. Both of these archetypes access Lord of the Forest. This means that players who have both shrink debuffs stacked on them with crippling ice suffer a damage bonus reduction of -65% to -85% on the high end. This is -20% from shrinks and -25% from crippling ice. This damage bonus reduction can be maintained at near 100% uptime if managed well by the Frostguard and arbiter. Adding to its crazy amount of defensive utility, Lord of the Forest also brings a protection stake that grants a 25% AOE damage reduction to one's team, AND Frost Armor brings a flat -35% damage reduction for all damage types.

As an example example, my team got caught in a 3v5 a few days ago. We had a Frostguard, Arbiter, and Titan, and we were able to hold off a full 5-man KDS premade (an ECS finalist team) for a few minutes before they realized that is was not worth their time to continue the fight and backed off. My ECS team has had far too many fights in practice where we would fight a team for several minutes only for one of the teams to back off realizing that fighting a team with such heavy defensive utility is a waste of time in many scenarios. This even happened to us on stream in the finals when we fought Average Joes in the second floor of a house prior to the final circle cluster fight. 

Again, I am amazed that more people are not talking about Lord of the Forest and other defensive powers. In my experience practicing for ECS, these powers are the main culprits that facilitate the "boring" TTK and passive meta of the Hunger Dome. Innately, Crowfall's TTK is not egregiously long. If ACE takes steps to nerf these powers, it would go a long way in cleaning up a lot of issues with the Hunger Dome game mode and Crowfall in general. 

1 hour ago, Skippz said:

I agree that the Hunger Dome game mode itself has many problems (i.e. too forgiving with respawns, not enough incentive to for teams to be aggressive, etc.). However, there is a problem with class/discipline design that I do not see discussed enough among the community: extremely long Time To Kill that is facilitated by the insane damage reduction from the Lord of the Forest discipline power, Wee One shrink (this can stack up to 3 times iirc), combined with the crippling ice debuff from the Frostguard specialization. Most meta teams run both a Frostguard and Arbiter cleric. Both of these archetypes access Lord of the Forest. This means that players who have both shrink debuffs stacked on them with crippling ice suffer a damage bonus reduction of -65% to -85% on the high end. This is -20% from shrinks and -25% from crippling ice. This damage bonus reduction can be maintained at near 100% uptime if managed well by the Frostguard and arbiter. Adding to its crazy amount of defensive utility, Lord of the Forest also brings a protection stake that grants a 25% AOE damage reduction to one's team, AND Frost Armor brings a flat -35% damage reduction for all damage types.

As an example example, my team got caught in a 3v5 a few days ago. We had a Frostguard, Arbiter, and Titan, and we were able to hold off a full 5-man KDS premade (an ECS finalist team) for a few minutes before they realized that is was not worth their time to continue the fight and backed off. My ECS team has had far too many fights in practice where we would fight a team for several minutes only for one of the teams to back off realizing that fighting a team with such heavy defensive utility is a waste of time in many scenarios. This even happened to us on stream in the finals when we fought Average Joes in the second floor of a house prior to the final circle cluster fight. 

Again, I am amazed that more people are not talking about Lord of the Forest and other defensive powers. In my experience practicing for ECS, these powers are the main culprits that facilitate the "boring" TTK and passive meta of the Hunger Dome. Innately, Crowfall's TTK is not egregiously long. If ACE takes steps to nerf these powers, it would go a long way in cleaning up a lot of issues with the Hunger Dome game mode and Crowfall in general. 

I agree the disciplines could do with looking at , but possibly if they are going to do a locked archetype competition again, then ensuring there are less defensive across the board would very much help with the long TTK issue.
I worry about trying ot balance any discipline around the experiences of it in HD without it fully being realized what that nerf would do to it in the larger scale fights where its impact is more balanced.

Posted (edited)

Hunger need to pause at like a 30m radius for few minutes before closing all the way like 3-5 minutes to allow time for the HD to finish it self up properly and if no winner decided by then it closes all the way.
the other option could be limit healers to 1 instead of 2, will make fight alot quicker and not eternal wet noodle fight where no one can kill eachother this make it easier to wipe teams before it closes all the way when circle gets small.

Could do some HD rounds where u can only play 1 healer per group for a week or 2 to see how it goes. Might see some strange hybrid builds with normal dmg or tanking roles specking into some healing discapline to make for a makeshift 2nd healer which is fine since they wont be as strong as a full healer but should still have shorter TTK which will be good.

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

2 hours ago, Marklarr said:

I agree the disciplines could do with looking at , but possibly if they are going to do a locked archetype competition again, then ensuring there are less defensive across the board would very much help with the long TTK issue.
I worry about trying ot balance any discipline around the experiences of it in HD without it fully being realized what that nerf would do to it in the larger scale fights where its impact is more balanced.

I think it would of been better if they only allowed a single healer in a team instead of 2. I feel in 6 player groups it should be 2 healer since you can now take an extra DPS and in 5 player groups it should only be 1 healer.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

18 hours ago, Skippz said:

this is basically the truth. the reason we beat every other team is bc we pressed wee one better. lol.

What happened with the ECS viewers? it built up to hundreds of thousands mid may, then dropped like a rock back to nothing for the finals. Not sure what happened to the twitch algorithm, either something went wrong or the spike was nothing more then a bot.

3 hours ago, mystafyi said:

What happened with the ECS viewers? it built up to hundreds of thousands mid may, then dropped like a rock back to nothing for the finals. Not sure what happened to the twitch algorithm, either something went wrong or the spike was nothing more then a bot.

It might have had to do with placement of ECS on Twitch. When there were so many viewers it had a prominent place in the main carousel. I didn't notice the placement for the later matches, though.

On 5/31/2021 at 1:17 PM, Skippz said:

However, there is a problem with class/discipline design that I do not see discussed enough among the community: extremely long Time To Kill that is facilitated by the insane damage reduction from the Lord of the Forest discipline power, Wee One shrink (this can stack up to 3 times iirc), combined with the crippling ice debuff from the Frostguard specialization.

This is a really solid observation. The long Time to Kill also seems to be most noticeable in the early stages of a match, which reflects a bit on general combat balance: good weapons are significantly more impactful than good armor. One would assume that these would balance out, such that TTK for weak weapon vs weak armor would be roughly similar to legendary weapon vs legendary armor. That is, of course, not how it plays out.