Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

6.530.0 Live Feedback for 6/1/2021

Please share any feedback you may have from your time playing the game. This includes subjective observations about your gameplay experience. Bugs that you have encountered should be directed to Bug Reports and don't forget the Legend for ACE feedback on Bugs reported!

If you encounter disconnection problems, showstopper bugs or any other issues preventing you from entering or playing the game, please send an email as well as your client logs* to support@crowfall.com.

*Client logs can be found here: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Art+Craft\Crowfall

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou are crunchy and go well with ketchup!

Two ideas to improve the risk/reward structure for gear crutching and ganking people doing PvE:

Make in-combat durability loss on gear only occur in PvP, while increasing durability loss on death. This would enable the people farming War Tribes to utilize crafted gear without grinding down durability, so there would be more competitive fights, while still punishing loses. It would also make skinning more in line with other professions that don't involve durability loss on gathering gear outside of PvP. 

Nerf and re-add gear drop. With factories and additional outpost chests implemented, gear drop seems within reach. Potentially consider changing the implementation to something like 33% chance to drop one piece of gear on death (ideally weighted toward weapons and jewelry). This should be a bit more forgiving in terms of replacing gear, while also still helping to improve on the wolf vs sheep situation, because people won't want to risk their legendaries needlessly even if the likelihood of drop is pretty low.   

It would also mean that keeping an extra set or two of low-tier crafted or wartribe gear in the bank will allow players to continue to participate for in prolonged fights, which has been one of the primary complaints about gear drop. This will help to improve the economy as well, I think. 

4 minutes ago, Alot said:

Two ideas to improve the risk/reward structure for gear crutching and ganking people doing PvE:

Make in-combat durability loss on gear only occur in PvP, while increasing durability loss on death. This would enable the people farming War Tribes to utilize crafted gear without grinding down durability, so there would be more competitive fights, while still punishing loses. It would also make skinning more in line with other professions that don't involve durability loss on gathering gear outside of PvP. 

I like this idea. It feels bad to lose durability when testing skills or just using movement skills that put you in combat just for the enjoyment of bouncing around the world. It would be nice if the engine supports it, but I suspect it might not.

7 minutes ago, Alot said:

Nerf and re-add gear drop. With factories and additional outpost chests implemented, gear drop seems within reach. Potentially consider changing the implementation to something like 33% chance to drop one piece of gear on death (ideally weighted toward weapons and jewelry). This should be a bit more forgiving in terms of replacing gear, while also still helping to improve on the wolf vs sheep situation, because people won't want to risk their legendaries needlessly even if the likelihood of drop is pretty low.   

It would also mean that keeping an extra set or two of low-tier crafted or wartribe gear in the bank will allow players to continue to participate for in prolonged fights, which has been one of the primary complaints about gear drop. This will help to improve the economy as well, I think. 

Do not like. As I've said elsewhere, losing something you need feels much worse than taking something you don't need (and can't easily sell), so it biases player behavior in a more risk-averse way. Given that the game already has pretty steep costs for death (gear dura loss, time spent flying to respawn, sometimes loading screens), I'd prefer not to see gear drop. Even the act of having to go into one's bank and dig out a replacement is an added headache.

Just now, nihilsupernum said:

Do not like. As I've said elsewhere, losing something you need feels much worse than taking something you don't need (and can't easily sell), so it biases player behavior in a more risk-averse way. Given that the game already has pretty steep costs for death (gear dura loss, time spent flying to respawn, sometimes loading screens), I'd prefer not to see gear drop. Even the act of having to go into one's bank and dig out a replacement is an added headache.

I understand your reservations, but the pros vastly outweigh the cons, in my opinion, as described in several other threads. I won't keep spamming them, but just let me know if you'd like links.

To address the cons:

• If you need something, then you should have backups. If War Tribe is truly competitive with crafted gear as everyone says, this should be pretty low effort. It also creates a market and use case for lower tier-gear.
  • Vaults in campaign definitely need to be improved, at least with a search function. Other games have quick equip or load-out functionalities to make this easier as well.
  • The items you loot should be easy to sell. If this isn't resolved then the game will never have an economy. More gear dropped means more economic activity, which can only help. 

11 minutes ago, nihilsupernum said:

so it biases player behavior in a more risk-averse way.

It biases gear crutching player behavior in a more risk-averse way, which is the goal. It should also result in the majority of players being less risk averse, because they'll no longer be required to run high-tier gear to be competitive in most fights. In the cases where you're still fighting into gear crutching, you would at least have a relatively low cost of participation and a potentially significant reward if you win. That makes the situation feel much better, in my opinion.

To put it another way: people should think twice before bringing out their Sunday finest while also being very comfortable risking their daily-use gear (because the bar for daily-use gear will be reduced).

13 minutes ago, Alot said:

It biases gear crutching player behavior in a more risk-averse way, which is the goal. It should also result in the majority of players being less risk averse, because they'll no longer be required to run high-tier gear to be competitive in most fights. In the cases where you're still fighting into gear crutching, you would at least have a relatively low cost of participation and a potentially significant reward if you win. That makes the situation feel much better, in my opinion.

To put it another way: people should think twice before bringing out their Sunday finest while also being very comfortable risking their daily-use gear (because the bar for daily-use gear will be reduced).

I see where this is coming from, but also think that the main risk in the game comes from *numbers*, not gear or skill. Regardless of what gear a player is wearing, the biggest threat to them in the game is going to be running into a larger group.

The players that will feel safest running high quality gear will be the ones that *know* they are the largest force on the map.

I personally also don't like this "Sunday finest" way of thinking about gear. If I work hard and put together a nice set of gear, I want to use that gear and not be constantly making risk calculations about whether it is safe to wear or not, especially if those risk calculations will be primarily based on the *number* of opponents I am likely to see rather than the *skill* of opponents I'm likely to see.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, nihilsupernum said:

I see where this is coming from, but also think that the main risk in the game comes from *numbers*, not gear or skill. Regardless of what gear a player is wearing, the biggest threat to them in the game is going to be running into a larger group.

The players that will feel safest running high quality gear will be the ones that *know* they are the largest force on the map.

This is a really good point and I have no rebuttal, other than to say: I wish it weren't so. Other games have warnings for the players that large groups are rolling in, it would be nice if there were at least auditory cues in Crowfall. You'd think a stampede of the menagerie of mounts in Crowfall would produce that.  

I personally also don't like this "Sunday finest" way of thinking about gear. If I work hard and put together a nice set of gear, I want to use that gear and not be constantly making risk calculations about whether it is safe to wear or not, especially if those risk calculations will be primarily based on the *number* of opponents I am likely to see rather than the *skill* of opponents I'm likely to see.

Understandable, but it's one of the only ways to balance gear crutching. There are generally vastly diminishing returns for cost vs power in games that have gear drop, so you're always making that decision. If you want a significant advantage, you have to pay for it by increasing your risk, which the person you attack can receive as a reward if they win.

Edited by Alot

1 minute ago, Alot said:

This is a really good point and I have no rebuttal, other than to say: I wish it weren't so.

Understandable, but it's one of the only ways to balance gear crutching. There are generally vastly diminishing returns for cost vs power in games that have gear drop, so you're always making that decision. If you want a significant advantage, you have to pay for it by increasing your risk, which the person you attack can receive as a reward if they win.

I think there is another way: Reduce the effect of gear/stats on combat. No one gets a significant advantage - only a slight one.

Eg. a player decked out in full legendary might only be 10% more effective than one in full white vendor gear.

Pros:

• Makes the game more about skill than about gear
  • New players don't feel as far behind old players

Cons:

• Makes gear/crafting less important in the game. Players might care less about harvesting/crafting
  • Potential economic effects from ^

Posted (edited)

Block still needs improvement. I'll put a few ways I think it could be improved to be a reasonable choice:

• No movement speed penalty. Currently, blocking is almost certainly putting you out of position, it's just such a mobile game
  • No big hit penalty. Don't punish someone for good timing.
  • Change to cleric block heal mechanic. Not percent of incoming damage, but built out of statistics, just like the Stalwart damage reflect. Don't punish better blocking.

Radicals need a little something. Here is why: they are the lowest ranged class, with the lowest damage output, and next to no escape-ability.

• Change holy symbol dot to holy damage
  • Reintroduce the aoe ranged slow that used to be Divine Presence (loved that spell, so sad it got nuked). You could make it an effect on Holy Symbol for radicals
  • Change exorcism soul steal to holy damage. It's nearly impossible for radicals to make weapon damage worth it.
  • Make ult less than 1000 SP again, please. As you probably noticed, this change completely blew up radicals, nobody plays them because their damage is too low without cleave

The Stoneborn racial Stoneskin is not good. It might work if it was 50% pdm, but only -25% phm. Something need to shift on it, imo. Maybe longer duration, too.

I want to suggest that Sturdy function as a proportional buff relative to current health percent. So above 90% health, +20% PDM, scaled down to above 50% dropping to +0% pdm (like Subvert Expectations mechanic). I think this style of math could also work well in other minors, like Last Resort, etc.

Allow any shield wielder to use tower shields, give them more armor, but make the heavier. Make it a nice tradeoff to consider (so radical/swordsman likely won't want, but others might). Can do the same with the bucklers. Less armor, but lighter.

Edited by McTan

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, nihilsupernum said:

I think there is another way: Reduce the effect of gear/stats on combat. No one gets a significant advantage - only a slight one.

Eg. a player decked out in full legendary might only be 10% more effective than one in full white vendor gear.

I agree. The argument people use is that they won't be motivated to do the work for only 10%, which could result in fewer concurrent players. There is probably a balance that could be achieved, somewhere between 10% and the present scenario. The baseline comparison should probably be rare War Tribe gear versus full legendary, which is maybe closer to 30-60% currently (including jewelry), depending on the build.  

It's important to keep in mind that there are numerous sources of power in Crowfall, and they often stack in a multiplicative rather than additive way:

• Gear (durability loss, semi-accessible to new players)
  • Jewelry (durability loss, semi-accessible to new players)
  • Vessels (no loss, semi-accessible to new players)
  • Discipline upgrades (no loss, semi-accessible to new players)
  • Badge accessories (no loss, inaccessible to new players)
  • Keep/castle buffs (time-based loss, inaccessible to new players/small guilds)
  • Shrine buffs (time-based loss, accessible to new players)

In the cases where they are semi-accessible, this generally means that new players can theoretically access them, but their versions will be significantly inferior. 

The total power disparity is very significant and leads to many encounters that are just not fun for either side. It doesn't feel good to win a fight where your opponent stood no chance. 

Edited by Alot

Just trying the game for the first time, as someone who isn't a big fan of MMOs but was gonna give this a chance for the PVP factor, i'm getting 30 - 40 FPS in the starter region on the lowest settings and at 900p (also there's no true fullscreen option). Even the menu was running at 30-ish FPS. It's running worse than Warzone, and that makes me very unwilling to keep playing.

PC SPECS:
RX590 8GB
Ryzen 5 2400g
8 GB of RAM
Installed in a SATA SSD

Posted (edited)

I am pretty new to the game, playing with 2 friends and once we hit level 30 we went into Dregs because that is all that is available to us currently outside of the Gods Reach campaign, We zoned into the pvp zone farmed mobs for a while got blue weapons, went back to the portal to store crap  came back in and there is 1 guy there in one of the top guilds that is able to just solo all 3 of us because we couldn't do enough damage and took massive damage in our white/green gear with some blue weapons.  We are new to this game but  have a fair bit of experience in other mmo pvp and we aren't by any means great at this game but 3 vs 1 and we just cant do damage with our abilities leaves me wondering what we are meant to do to bridge that gap so we have a chance to fight the people in that zone.

There needs to be some middle ground from PvE to PvP where the top guilds compete to both allow newer players the ability to learn how to pvp and practice instead of just getting stomped by impossible fights, as well as gear up enough to make those fights actually possible.

Edited by Excidius
fixed a typo and added a suggestion

1 hour ago, adrianks47 said:

Just trying the game for the first time, as someone who isn't a big fan of MMOs but was gonna give this a chance for the PVP factor, i'm getting 30 - 40 FPS in the starter region on the lowest settings and at 900p (also there's no true fullscreen option). Even the menu was running at 30-ish FPS. It's running worse than Warzone, and that makes me very unwilling to keep playing.

PC SPECS:
RX590 8GB
Ryzen 5 2400g
8 GB of RAM
Installed in a SATA SSD

I am running

Ryzen 9 5900x

64 GB RAM

Nvidia 2070

Samsung m.2 970 evo Plus SSD

I still only get around 45-60 frames but on overall high settings, this is still really low considering the specs and the lack of anything happening on screen especially for this style of graphics.

4 hours ago, adrianks47 said:

Even the menu was running at 30-ish FPS. It's running worse than Warzone, and that makes me very unwilling to keep playing.

PC SPECS:
RX590 8GB
Ryzen 5 2400g
8 GB of RAM
Installed in a SATA SSD

that cracks me up, even the menu.

Please allow Knight Sentinel's to equip Tower Shields. Have it come from shield master or a minor if need be. Doesnt make sense that Secutor knights should be the only subset of the knight tree that can use tower shields.

Hammers High !!  Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers

Hot zones are cool but nowhere near fleshed out as a concept (I hope). Here's a few ideas to aid in the improvement process that will 100% increase the value of this feature.

1. Add hot zones for other types of gathering, not just skinning.

2. Allow higher rank monsters than Alpha to spawn.

3. Increase mob density/expand wartribe hot zone parcels.

4. GREATLY increase the spawn rate of Major thralls in campaign hot zones.

5. Advertise globally when a new hot zone becomes active. (Currently a bug where Web-Wood doesn't even light up on the map when active)

Knights talent tree and skills are still heavily bloated with repetitive combos. Base kit does allow for much if any room for additional skills via major discs. 

Hammers High !!  Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers

I was disappointed this patch to see that you removed the three rock spires that usually end up on the west side of the castle (its own lefthand side).

removed_castle_spires_2021-05-31_.jpg?wi

They made for some interesting and unusual gameplay and siege inside the Castle that wasn't reliant just on Guineceans. We had plenty of assassins drop into our castle before we'd built guards and it's been an exciting experience. For those who didn't know, an easy way onto the walls and the top ward of the castle, without needing a hole in the wall, was climbing onto these rock spires and getting onto the plateau to which any class with 20m movement could get onto. That plateau which goes around the back of the castle was not accessible on the other side since it's a sheer cliff. There is one specific jump on the castle roof that only guineceans and fae's double jump can surmount. So the implications in that tough top ward in siege hour makes for an interesting alternative, before the walls come down. Assassins should not be able to get inside, now.

The addition of a fourth Siege Hour from 2230-2330 BST (2330-0030 CEST) is really quite bad for guilds on a weekday. The one from 2130-2230 was already quite late for a work week, but with the keep slot taking that hour instead, you'll see very minimal participation in the fourth hour, the last fort window. I don't think there's a country bar Iceland that would benefit from that late siege hour.

3 minutes ago, Thon said:

I don't think there's a country bar Iceland that would benefit from that late siege hour.

West coast US, Australia, New Zealand, and some other countries in SE Asia. 

You don't have to make every window, please don't kill the content for others.