Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crowfall is Shipping July 6!

4 minutes ago, APE said:

Hopefully it is good enough to sustain itself as is or until the next updates come. Can't remember the original goals but believe it was around 50-75k with 25% or so being VIP. Good luck ACE.

I'm 99.99% sure they are launching the game because they are doing some kind of "hail mary" play where they're just cutting costs and hoping for the best because they realize that they can't salvage Crowfall as a whole and that they probably know it's going to be a massive failure considering all the tens of millions of dollars they got in funding.

However, just to put the 50-75k number into perspective, we can look at the top 15 Steam charts. ACE needs Crowfall to be more popular than games like ARK, Rust, Warframe, Dead By Daylight, Rocket League, Terraria and so on. Clearly that is never going to happen. They won't be able to even maintain 1/10 of the numbers of those games.

I would really like to hear J. Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton talk about the rationale behind the decision for this launch date, but I doubt we'll hear the true story from them.

IHaKjRO.png

"Crowfall's evolution has been interesting: when we started, the game leaned much more heavily on survival mechanics. over time we added more and more strategy and pulled the survival mechanics. by launch, we'll be the most strategic virtual universe (IMO surpassing Eve Online)" - J. Todd Coleman, January 5th 2020

5 minutes ago, macavity said:

I'm 99.99% sure they are launching the game because they are doing some kind of "hail mary" play where they're just cutting costs and hoping for the best because they realize that they can't salvage Crowfall as a whole and that they probably know it's going to be a massive failure considering all the tens of millions of dollars they got in funding.

However, just to put the 50-75k number into perspective, we can look at the top 15 Steam charts. ACE needs Crowfall to be more popular than games like ARK, Rust, Warframe, Dead By Daylight, Rocket League, Terraria and so on. Clearly that is never going to happen. They won't be able to even maintain 1/10 of the numbers of those games.

I would really like to hear J. Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton talk about the rationale behind the decision for this launch date, but I doubt we'll hear the true story from them.

I mean after watch the Live stream, my assumed value is they are going "it was an experimental idea which tested out what we might do on our next game" ergo poorly made dergs happens better luck next time....Sums up the mmo landscape doesn't it

5 minutes ago, macavity said:

Ummm, 5 years behind schedule isnt enough reason to be forced to launch? 

2 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Ummm, 5 years behind schedule isnt enough reason to be forced to launch? 

They have been behind schedule the entire time, so what would 1 or 2 more years matter to them?

I mean, they have secured close to 40 million dollars in funding since they started in 2015, so I just want to know the real reason behind the launch. It surely can't be that they are running out of money, because there's no way they spent 40 million dollars on a game that's running in Unity.

So if they still have enough money left, why are they pushing their game out into an inevitable premature death?

Are both J. Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton completely okay with destroying their reputation as game developers due to how poorly managed this whole game/project has been?

IHaKjRO.png

"Crowfall's evolution has been interesting: when we started, the game leaned much more heavily on survival mechanics. over time we added more and more strategy and pulled the survival mechanics. by launch, we'll be the most strategic virtual universe (IMO surpassing Eve Online)" - J. Todd Coleman, January 5th 2020

4 minutes ago, macavity said:

They have been behind schedule the entire time, so what would 1 or 2 more years matter to them?

I mean, they have secured close to 40 million dollars in funding since they started in 2015, so I just want to know the real reason behind the launch. It surely can't be that they are running out of money, because there's no way they spent 40 million dollars on a game that's running in Unity.

So if they still have enough money left, why are they pushing their game out into an inevitable premature death?

Are both J. Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton completely okay with destroying their reputation as game developers due to how poorly managed this whole game/project has been?

They got 1.625million last year and 1.25 million in march for corona. They listed 60-70 employee's with a 7+million labor cost per year.

29 minutes ago, macavity said:

I think you're mixing Monthly Active User (MAU) numbers with concurrent numbers.  Those are two vastly different measurements.  Steam Charts uses concurrent numbers and concurrent numbers are usually only a tiny fraction of the actual monthly active users.  Warframe has ~50k concurrent but almost certainly has 10x or more that in MAU.

tl;dr version is that concurrent is how many people are playing at the same time right now.  MAU is how many people play each month.  Since everyone has different schedules, some only play weekends, people play different days, etc only a small % of the overall active population of a game end up playing at the exact same time for concurrency numbers.

Congrats to you all, it must feel very satisfying, even if there are a lot of unknowns and things out of your control about it. You made a game from scratch and that is an amazing feat.

I think JTC's mindset towards launch, even if it's difficult to maintain, is really healthy. Yes, there will be a lot of pain and mistakes, but it's a dynamic platform - and there is no doubt that you all are capable of working under public scrutiny...you've been doing it for six years (or much longer)!

I'm looking forward to enjoying everything about MMO launches, there are only so many!

I'm excited to see the beginnings even if it's going to be a tad rough. I'm VERY excited to see maps that are going to be scaled for the number of players that will be coming in. Even if that ends up breaking down into multiple dregs campaigns and several gods reaches itll be neat seeing the expanded maps to explore, map, and take over. 

The system they have to generate those maps will get alot of use going forward especially if a single dregs ends up having something like 27 zones to accommodate for the increased player presence, not counting the temples of course. 

Course I'm also excited to find janky stuff too, crowfalls team being as small as they are and with their development time I know I'll still be writing bug reports to support for a while longer till everything gets ironed out. 

This feels way too early.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised at launch, but honestly it still seems woefully undercooked and unlikely to draw very many players beyond its current core audience. I feel like there's a reason that the most recent "Q&A" stream didn't actually answer any questions. ACE knows our most pressing questions and they don't have answers that look very good to most of them. All the things the community considers must haves (Handshake sieges, balance/scoring/progression changes, economy adjustments, effective risk/reward ramping to maintain more casual or new players, etc.) are on a roadmap with an uncertain future post-release date.

That said, I am legitimately hyped for never being wiped again. No matter how obnoxious the crafting progression is, not having to ever repeat it again is enough to get me to log in and do it one more time. Its sad but I'm hyped for release specifically because it means I don't have to play the parts it presents to new players to try and draw them in. That alone fills me with apprehension for how well this launch is gonna go.

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

1 hour ago, kasabain said:

I mean after watch the Live stream, my assumed value is they are going "it was an experimental idea which tested out what we might do on our next game" ergo poorly made dergs happens better luck next time....Sums up the mmo landscape doesn't it

From the press release to the Q&A there is a lot of mention of "risk" and doing it "different," no NDA, and all that. There's backhanded comparisons to other games and basically how they took the "easy" route. Considering AAA studios with endless resources have had major issues, making any product is a big risk with a lot of bumps along the way.

Being a smaller studio with less resources doesn't mean the end product has to be or is excused for being less of a product. A lobby MMO with procedural maps isn't exactly mind blowing and pulling the genre into the future, especially if the rest of the product isn't anything new or innovative.

Now with launch announced, we should see a huge influx of people wanting to try it out before launch just to get a handle on things. If that doesn't happen, launch might not be too different.

When all is said and done, the launch product is all that matters and the last 6 years of doing it different won't matter. People don't care if there was a NDA or 24/7 testing or player involvement, they care about the game experience.

While this is probably just generic company gorgon, I did see this and wonder if they have anything else planned yet. Years ago they said they were licensing their backend/engine tech but never revealed who bought a license. Haven't heard anything since.  the Company develops and publishes products on multiple platforms.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

This feels way too early.

Regardless if it is or isn't, at least it's their decision and there can't be any blame of suits up in the tower, publishers, backers, shareholders, any typical reasons why a game is rushed to launch. That was a big part of going crowdfunded, they answer to themselves. So good or bad it is on them and I respect that.

Would be interesting to see a poll of who believes it is ready. Considering it is "our game" after all.

Edited by APE

I'm not "white knighting" for anyone. I shrugged at this game every time I tried to run it since I first backed it until February. The game is almost exactly what they promised on Kickstarter and a lot more. I was saying the game was ready to launch back in March even without built-in guild management tools. It's just ready. Content that comes along after will just make it better. The only thing really missing is a Thief class and/or pickpocketing. Add in locked chests and doors, a few other tropes from the Thief if not just an approximate port of the class from Shadowbane and it's going to shine. It will shine more than Shadowbane did becase the latency problems are fixed.

I don't understand why any of you wouldn't be celebrating this right now. Did you want beta to go on forever? It was clear as crystal to me this month would be the month they announced something huge. How could you not see it coming? It's buy once play forever. You don't have to be so negative. This game doesn't have to be your life.

It's ready. It's time for the developers to expand content and have real people playing a game that will persist in perpetuity. It could take a solo player a full year to max out one character and that's how it should be.

I don't know what's wrong with some of you, maybe just burned out? Be glad you don't have to grind toward your legendary whatevers anymore that were known to get erased. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Retchet said:

The game is almost exactly what they promised on Kickstarter and a lot more.

I don't know what's wrong with some of you

Be it listed straight on the Kickstarter page, listed on the site, or mentioned in videos, I expected a good deal more then what is being delivered. To be fair some of this is planned post launch but that is after 6 years of development, which is far past the original plan as well.

I'm not angry as gaming is a hobby, not my life, but it sucks to have backed something, followed it, and the end result not be something I will enjoy. Obviously all games aren't for everyone, but I'm not going to jump and shout at something that isn't what I want.

I admit my standards are high, but some of the missing components or lackluster included ones are just poor in comparison to much older games.

If this game does it for you, awesome, but don't be surprised if people aren't unified in their views.

Not sure what they created that replaces all this?

• Free City Building/Destruction within Campaigns
  • Political Mechanics: Fealty, Bend the Knee
  • Campaign Ruleset and Mode Variety
  • Passive Training
  • Expansive crafting options.
  • Crafted based economy.
  • No Leveling
  • Handshake Siege
  • Conquest/World Control by Players
  • Faction Campaigns
  • Skill Based Combat
  • Character Customization: Quality over Quantity
  • Economic System/Tools
  • Combat Pets
  • Better UI options and functionality
Edited by APE

19 minutes ago, Retchet said:

Be glad you don't have to grind toward your legendary whatevers anymore that were known to get erased. 

Why? If it isn't enjoyable to grind towards something, hasn't the game failed to deliver an enjoyable experience?

People chirp about how grindy WoW or whatever game is, but I've never reached max level in those games and been like "that was horrible, never want to do that again." It's usually a fun experience and I have no issue re-rolling or re-grinding over and over.

If fear of wipes were keeping people from playing this game because the experience wasn't enjoyable, not sure how the launch version will change that considering players will likely grind out numerous characters, vessels, gear, crafters, etc. It should be fun. Players shouldn't notice the grind in of itself.

51 minutes ago, APE said:

Regardless if it is or isn't, at least it's their decision and there can't be any blame of suits up in the tower, publishers, backers, shareholders, any typical reasons why a game is rushed to launch. That was a big part of going crowdfunded, they answer to themselves. So good or bad it is on them and I respect that.

Would be interesting to see a poll of who believes it is ready. Considering it is "our game" after all.

Oh for sure and I'd be much more dissapointed to hear they sold out to tencent or whoever and delayed launch than the news that we're launching in a rough state with a still fully independant team.

I just worry about the game as is being presented as a product much more than I am worried about the direction of the game going forward, but honestly this was always the plan we were told. "Soft launch" and build value. I'm just apprehensive about the amount of road launching in this state will give them to build that value.

At the end of the day, despite all the lengthy diabtires I've written critical of the game I very much want crowfall to succeed, and I am very much looking forward to playing on release day and hopefully years after. I just worry about its success sometimes.

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

9 minutes ago, APE said:

Not sure what they created that replaces all this?

• Free City Building/Destruction within Campaigns
  • Political Mechanics: Fealty, Bend the Knee
  • Campaign Ruleset and Mode Variety
  • Passive Training
  • Expansive crafting options.
  • Crafted based economy.
  • No Leveling
  • Handshake Siege
  • Conquest/World Control by Players
  • Faction Campaigns
  • Skill Based Combat
  • Character Customization: Quality over Quantity
  • Economic System/Tools
  • Combat Pets
  • Better UI options and functionality

I've never seen you playing this game since I've been here and I frequently go on both EU and NA servers. For the few things on there, like "Combat Pets", which aren't in the game yet all I can say is that the foundations are there, it's clear. If you don't want to level, you can play Hunger Dome.

1 minute ago, Retchet said:

I've never seen you playing this game since I've been here and I frequently go on both EU and NA servers.

Many of us have multiple accounts due to passive training that was in game.

10 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

I just worry about the game as is being presented as a product

Once the streamers do up some content, then we will see how it is being presented. Wont be long, by this weekend for sure.