Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mortal Online 2 vs. Crowfall?

I am interested in hearing why people prefer one of these games over the other.  Or if you prefer them both equally, please share what it is that you think sets them apart from each other. 

Mortal Online 2 is in Beta now and goes Persistent this year and Crowfall releases this month, so I'm deciding between the two. 

FYI - I'm only interested in MO2 comparisons, I know plenty about MO1.  

If you know plenty about MO1 then you know plenty about MO2, its just a graphical update. I played MO1 and it was isolating by design, had Eurojank directional combat and a restrictive skill system that discouraged experimentation, which is what I saw repeating in MO2 when I played one of their stress tests. I prefer Crowfall's combat and its class and skill system while it has a janky progression right now it has improved considerably over time, even with the min/maxing I dont feel like I am irrepably gimping myself because I decided to be a woodelf blacksmith or something and at least if I had the notion to change my class/profession I dont have to buy another character slot.

Thanks for the reply.  Are you limited to one character per account in Crowfall?  Are there any restrictions on how often you can change your name or when you can reroll your character in Crowfall? 

You are able to make 6 characters for each Crowfall account you buy, if I'm not mistaken you can also buy up to 6 additional character slots for a total of 12 characters for each account. All characters share your account name which I believe you can change for free once and then you have to pay to get it changed again. You can delete and reroll a character as many times as you want if you are talking about alts. If you are talking about respecing your talents and stat points you can do that as many times as you want for free if you pay the optional monthly subscription or if not you will be able to buy a respec for gold.

In my opinion, mo2 is way more promising as an mmorpg than crowfall. The scope is simply not comparable if they can deliver on the proposed features. The risk here is that many main features are not in mo2 yet (like open world building, territory control, all magic schools) while, with crowfall, release is coming soon: you are basically seeing what you're getting. 

Personally, I don't think crowfall has enough now to be fun at release, especially if they cannot get out a shadow campaign to integrate new players at launch. Dregs will simply throw out new players/small guilds out from the game, except if they join a big alliance. 

This being said, crowfall will continue to expand in the next years and I think it can become a decent game when mid term goals (roadmap) are met, potentially even a great game if they meet long term goals. We are talking years to get there.

I wish both games to succeed and backed them both. While I don't play crowfall now I will definitely give it another try in July.

Crowfall still need like 6-10 months i feel to be where it needs to be but spose like every game these day they release early and hope to live long enough to get decent

Veeshan Midst of UXA

38 minutes ago, Galahorn said:

In my opinion, mo2 is way more promising as an mmorpg than crowfall. The scope is simply not comparable if they can deliver on the proposed features.

As a card carrying MO1 hype monkey and owner of a mortal online collector's edition I assure you they can not deliver on the proposed features, as they proposed those features for MO1 and failed to deliver on them, and the game they ended up with was a bug ridden ghost town full of "potential" and empty of actual players.

Then, they decided in stead of fixing the game they'd do an engine update, call it a new game, and ride the only profitable portion of development (hype and promises) they had with the first game all over again.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but anyone looking at MO1, and expecting the team who has only ever released MO1 to somehow knock it out of the park making the same game all over again isn't paying a ton of attention. I can say at least in crowfall's case they're making a game they haven't already made and failed at once.

In both cases you're talking about cash strapped development teams making extremely niche products that are more likely to fail than not. I just happen to like actually playing crowfall more than MO.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

MO2 is in a pretty good state, as long as they keep up with the update shedule... If you could see how far the game has come just since December, you'd be impressed. Its appears more polished than crowfall and is a much more beautiful game. Once Housing, Territory Control(yes.. real territory control), and the rest of the magic schools are in, it'll be win. I played the first one for close to 3 years.

First person took getting used to, but now I think it adds to combat. It is truly "easy come, easy go". Gear is easy. There is one gigantic, and I mean "GIGANTIC" mapset ... and the other continents aren't in yet. There is no map other than an online player map (though cartography is supposed to be coming. You can actually "get lost" in the forests. If you want fights, you will get them. Sieges take real effort (in Mortal 1 at least).

They will be adding Naval Combat

If they deliver, and add new features, this game is a win for me. 

4 hours ago, McTan said:

MO2 had some interesting pieces. The combat was absolutely horrendous, though. Couldn't stand it.

I would disagree..

I'm not that great at it, but it takes much more skill than Crowfall. If you've fought really good people, you learn your difficiencies. Don't call combat horrendous because you suck at it..

16 minutes ago, Charlie_Bronson said:

I would disagree..

I'm not that great at it, but it takes much more skill than Crowfall. If you've fought really good people, you learn your difficiencies. Don't call combat horrendous because you suck at it..

I didn't call it horrendous because I was bad at it. I called it horrendous because I found it horrendous. I know that is tough to comprehend, but it was independent of skill. I just didn't like the feel at all. I'm not here to yuck your yum, though, so I hope you enjoy it and play many hours!

Just now, McTan said:

I didn't call it horrendous because I was bad at it. I called it horrendous because I found it horrendous. I know that is tough to comprehend, but it was independent of skill. I just didn't like the feel at all. I'm not here to yuck your yum, though, so I hope you enjoy it and play many hours!

You sir, either spent  one day at at it , or, as I said, you suck at it. 
I Promise you, I'd probably school you in combat there. And ShadowDisciple (Guild Mate) absolutlely kills me in it. And he, as one of the best players on the srever loses to people that he can't beat.. so sorry sir.. talk out of your ass less.

It's better to say I do not like that PvP style, or.. "I suck at it" than to just cast dispersions from lack of skill

'

Edited by Charlie_Bronson
1 hour ago, Charlie_Bronson said:

You sir, either spent  one day at at it , or, as I said, you suck at it. 
I Promise you, I'd probably school you in combat there. And ShadowDisciple (Guild Mate) absolutlely kills me in it. And he, as one of the best players on the srever loses to people that he can't beat.. so sorry sir.. talk out of your ass less.

It's better to say I do not like that PvP style, or.. "I suck at it" than to just cast dispersions from lack of skill

'

You might want to understand that McTan can play. Just because someone hates the MO2 combat doesn't mean they lack skill. I've done very well at mount and blade combat and other similar games and when I tried MO2 combat, I thought it was janky as hell. I've been around the block a few times in PvP games and first person combat is not something new. 

Mortal just isn't for everyone and it will just end up being a re-skinned version of the first unsuccessful MO. 

Problem I find with MO/MO2/DF/DFUW is the fact that player exploits/design errors carry weight forever after launch. I'm also tired of pvp players that think that the extra power, gained in unintended ways, is actual skill.

In Crowfall that issue is limited to the 'running' campaigns and can be fixed in the next ones.

For that fact alone I would choose the Crowfall model over MO2 any time of the day.

/salute

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.ro

MO2 is badass! If you could zoom out during melee combat Last Oasis style it would be my top pick for most promising sandbox mmo.  I personally like the FPS combat, found their minimalistic approach to magic effects and directional combat to be pretty fun and certainly scales up really well.  There were a few battles with over 120 players on screen and most people maintained 50+ FPS with little to no server queue issues.  I'll definitely be playing MO2 once there are territory battles and keeps to fight over.  The world is Darkfall massive too, ran with a group of buddies out to Jungle Camp on foot and it took literally 3 hours to find the damn place.  Next to Ark I've not experienced a more immersive game world.  One of my biggest gripes with Crowfall is their world design, it feels like a damn paintball field compared to other Sandbox mmo worlds.

Edited by cyjax

Ive been testing Crowfall since day 1 and MO2 since winter of 2020

1. Crowfall you will find pvp more frequently. The pvp is less punishing as well. 

2. The combat is different on both games. Crowfall is more action based whereas MO2 feels more "realistic" , for sure slower, in terms of combat. 

3. One giant open world with no map in mo2 vs minimaps, maps, smaller zones etc in CF. 

4. Crowfall you can play and have a life. MO2 caters to those that that have more time to game. 

5. Both skill character building systems provide good unique character building but MO2 is far more complex than crowfall. 

I like both games. The unreal engine 4+ MO2 uses is legit and far superior to unity in my opinion....anyway these were the first thoughts in my head regarding both. 

Edited by Barab

Hammers High !!  Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers

i played Crowfall since 2017 or something on and off and i joined MO2 alpha in december. 

At first it was really hard for me to get used to first person and the combat felt "wrong" and not good. But after some duels i got a grip and i felt a skill ceiling like never before. That first months were intense, litteraly everyday my skill went higher and i could beat more skilled player and that was so much fun. I really dig the combat in mo2 now. I also like crowfalls approach but it just feels so god damn clunky. 

Graphics and the world is so much more immersive and intense. You can actually explore and find something fun or your biggest nightmares. That's what i always missed in crowfall.

Sieges in crowfall is alot of fun and i can't wait to test it out in mo2 and compare. But my heart is for mo2 now and i have trust in the devs. Alot of ppl say "meh mo1 was garbage, mo2 is the same" but i played mo1 a bit and it's not near the same. Mo2 is so much more polished and every new content or combat balance patch is well thought. 

Neu_Logo_Forum_Signature.png

MO2 feeds you to the wolves though. I downloaded several months ago and it didn't teach me anything. I don't see how a game like that could survive vs a game like Crowfall that actually puts the lore into the beginner tutorial of how the game works.

I was told there wont be any such thing in MO2. I still own it for the sake of checking it out from time to time. I had some silly lately night fun being attacked randomly after hopping in first time around. No town guards or anything. Other than that, I can't say im too impressed with MO2. Crowfall has blown my mind so far.