Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artkil

Don't Force Family/second Names

I have a soft spot for surnames on characters, but I agree that it should not be something "forced." On that note, I would say that some decision should be made for characters with the same name. Arguably, this might be more important for RPers rather than the general population, but traditionally surnames have been a way to get around this fact. The other would be to allow users to tie any character name they want to an account, so when people are out in the world, it effectively becomes PlayerAccount.PlayerName (with PlayerName) being visible to other players.

I know RP people love it but there is no need to force it on everyone.. 

I'm RP and I hate it.  Sometimes I like having it, sometimes I like not having it.  The choice should be mine, not the game's.

Edited by rhone

Instead of an option, you should be able to use special letters such as a empty space in the Character Creation - so instead to call yourself ChuckNorris you call yourself Chuck Norris and it's entered. If you aren't a Roleplayer, you just use Chuck and its done.

For me, well.. I'm not really a Roleplayer. I used to be once, everyone said I were great at that time, but I kind of feel bored for a longer perioud. Anyhow, I kind of love to flow with the game and make a backstory. And I seriously hope that special letters are also enabled for Guilds, because I want to create a Guild only for me with one of the letters being a æ or Æ.

Edited by Neverworld

Instead of an option, you should be able to use special letters such as a empty space in the Character Creation - so instead to call yourself ChuckNorris you call yourself Chuck Norris and it's entered. If you aren't a Roleplayer, you just use Chuck and its done.

For me, well.. I'm not really a Roleplayer. I used to be once, everyone said I were great at that time, but I kind of feel bored for a longer perioud. Anyhow, I kind of love to flow with the game and make a backstory. And I seriously hope that special letters are also enabled for Guilds, because I want to create a Guild only for me with one of the letters being a æ or Æ.

Making it optional adds some problems with things like whispering to players though. If I type "/w Chuck Norris what's up?" there wouldn't be a way for the game to tell if that's supposed to go to Chuck and say "Norris what's up?" or to Chuck Norris and say "what's up?". You'd have to set up a system that left it up to the players to clarify the character name each time they whisper such as entering the character name in a separate field from the message, putting an underscore for a space, or ending the character name with some symbol. Not impossible to do, but it's a bit less intuitive to the players and would need some explaining. 

nYgae2w.png

Making it optional adds some problems with things like whispering to players though. If I type "/w Chuck Norris what's up?" there wouldn't be a way for the game to tell if that's supposed to go to Chuck and say "Norris what's up?" or to Chuck Norris and say "what's up?". You'd have to set up a system that left it up to the players to clarify the character name each time they whisper such as entering the character name in a separate field from the message, putting an underscore for a space, or ending the character name with some symbol. Not impossible to do, but it's a bit less intuitive to the players and would need some explaining. 

Yeah? I think you didn't understand me.

I said instead of the option to turn on in the settings to show last names, you should be able in the Character Creations to write your First and Last name. Most MMORPG's doesnt support this. Roleplayers who want a last name, should be entering the full name on character creations, while the others who don't want it just write one Name.

I get that, but if there is a mix of one named characters and two named characters in the game, parsing things like whispers to players becomes confusing like I said above. The game needs to know where the character name starts and stops when reading something like "/w Chuck Norris blah blah blah." If every character has one name, it can be coded to start the name after the space after /w and end before the next space. If every character has two names, it ends after the second space. If there's a mix, it can't be programmed to sometimes stop at the first space and sometimes stop at the second without some other indication. There's other ways around it too, like making only the first name matter (might be what you were trying to say?), but then if someone is named Chuck Norris, there couldn't be any other "Chuck"s.

nYgae2w.png

Good UI/UX-programmers just catch the whisper event and present you with a list of possible candidates you might want to whisper to. You then HAVE to select the right one before you are allowed to continue writing. The UI then saves this as a preference for the current session and doesn't ask you again UNTIL you either abort it or deliberately change the label.

Edited by Angier

I get that, but if there is a mix of one named characters and two named characters in the game, parsing things like whispers to players becomes confusing like I said above. The game needs to know where the character name starts and stops when reading something like "/w Chuck Norris blah blah blah." If every character has one name, it can be coded to start the name after the space after /w and end before the next space. If every character has two names, it ends after the second space. If there's a mix, it can't be programmed to sometimes stop at the first space and sometimes stop at the second without some other indication. There's other ways around it too, like making only the first name matter (might be what you were trying to say?), but then if someone is named Chuck Norris, there couldn't be any other "Chuck"s.

That's the least of the worries. It's not an impossible task as some MMO's have shown that it is possible.

However, most other MMO's don't allow special letters such as a free space. And instead to give an option to allow last names, because same thing goes on to whisper a person with first and last name, though last name is optional then, it becomes more complicated. And I rather have ten people named Chuck with their own last name, instead only one guy named Chuck who has an optional last name.

I know RP people love it but there is no need to force it on everyone.. 

I agree. I love the idea of having a first and last name personally. But it shouldn't be an option that is forced upon people. After all this is going to be a sandbox right? :P

Give both options in my honest opinion !

Please force it. We need a naming system to where people won't have to come up with stupid names because the names they want are taken by players who came, made characters and left. I support the system in which requires a call sign/ _inserttagaftername for whispers. That way people can be who they want and have as many names as they want without having to come up with strange one liners.

Very easy to resolve.

/w chuck norris, What's up Chuck?

vs

/w chuck, Norris What's up Chuck?