Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What will launch look like?

@ACE

What are your launch plans?  I know we might be a little far out for a complete answer, but we all know the usual woes that happen when a game launches, no matter what kind of preparation we have.  

My suggestion:

• Have a CLEARLY DEFINED TO THE COMMUNITY launch plan so we know exactly what to expect, and what could be a variable during the launch window.
  • Launch the game with God's Reach/Infected only.  Start with X number of God's Reach servers and be ready to launch more to accommodate the population.  We should not have to deal with server queues on Day 1 because of the nature of God's Reach and it doesn't really matter how many you bring up (other than the cost).
  • After Y amount of days, plan to launch the Dregs servers. (Y should be at least a few days up to 1 week).  Use the population data to determine how many dregs servers will be appropriate to support. 
  • Announce the number and names of the dregs servers ahead of time and allow guilds to filter into those servers, so that the population can spread itself out before the dregs launches.

My Questions:

1. Do you have the resources to start as many God's Reach servers as is necessary on Day 1?
  2. Do you have the resources to start as many dregs servers as are necessary on Day Y?
  3. Are you planning on some major stress testing ASAP to see how it handles thousands of players?
  4. Do you expect Dregs to be different maps, different rule sets, different lengths as previously promised?
Edited by damebix
(typos)

qMEsHyg.png

www.winterblades.net

This x1000. A plan for what Launch will look like ahead of time would be ideal.

I'm particularly interested in knowing how long until the first official launch campaign(s) begin, and the details of those campaigns so we can plan. I think a couple days of GR is totally appropriate but too long and things will get repetitive.

Stoked for launch!

I would hope they have a robot set up to dynamically scale the number of GR / Dregs instances as needed.  It's a pretty common tool in cloud server ops these days.  If not however, they are using the cloud.  It takes something like 3 clicks in the AWS management console to clone an already-existing server if they aren't using the aforementioned auto-scaling tools.

I would like to see a detailed launch plan.  I would hope that they launch campaigns sooner rather than later based on what concentration of players are at level 30.  Sitting in Skypoint for a week will suck for new players who will be getting stomped by organized, coordinated, optimized veterans.

If shadow and dregs don't launch simultaneously, this launch is a disaster. You're talking about a truly unknown number of players brand new to the game. Expecting that population to stand in dregs is going to result in an insane level of competitive mismatch with long time testers more likely to destroy the interest of a new population than any server que.

Dregs is not the only part of the game, nor should it be, and launch is the day we stop going "we will get around to it" You're bringing in tons of brand new players. Doing so without providing that crucial step ion the risk/reward ramp will be disastrous.

If you have to choose only one, Dregs rather than factions would make the most sense to be the late opener as new players settle in and older players reset progression, however I think it would be a mistake to launch either without the other available in the context of this launch, for the exact same reason it is a good idea to launch GR and lag campaigns behind it.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

13 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

If shadow and dregs don't launch simultaneously, this launch is a disaster. You're talking about a truly unknown number of players brand new to the game. Expecting that population to stand in dregs is going to result in an insane level of competitive mismatch with long time testers more likely to destroy the interest of a new population than any server que.

Dregs is not the only part of the game, nor should it be, and launch is the day we stop going "we will get around to it" You're bringing in tons of brand new players. Doing so without providing that crucial step ion the risk/reward ramp will be disastrous.

If you have to choose only one, Dregs rather than factions would make the most sense to be the late opener as new players settle in and older players reset progression, however I think it would be a mistake to launch either without the other available in the context of this launch, for the exact same reason it is a good idea to launch GR and lag campaigns behind it.

Agreed, but we haven't seen the 3-faction ruleset since dregs was launched.  Where are we at with this ACE?  Is it going to be ready for live?

qMEsHyg.png

www.winterblades.net

1 minute ago, damebix said:

Agreed, but we haven't seen the 3-faction ruleset since dregs was launched.  Where are we at with this ACE?  Is it going to be ready for live?

As I recall JTodd said it was ready to launch at any time and population was the concern during testing that was preventing its deployment, however it does concern me that the updated version with divine favor scoring etc. has never actually been tested.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

They will have to launch a shadows/dregs once a reasonable number or players hit 30 or progression hits a wall and players lose interest of running around skypoint for meaningless pvp. Without a campaign of some sort harvesters and crafters cant progress and pvper's cant obtain higher level disciplines.

Given the NPE levels you to 30 inside 2 hours for a vet player and most likely 3-4 hours for a new player I am expecting a campaign of some sort by the weekend after launch or we'll have a bunch of players with multiple 30's with no progression in sight and bored of skypoint.

Edited by Grivyn

24 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

As I recall JTodd said it was ready to launch at any time and population was the concern during testing that was preventing its deployment, however it does concern me that the updated version with divine favor scoring etc. has never actually been tested.

Seems to me Infected was the Faction ruleset with a specific name and duration set long enough to never actually reach its conclusion.

When Beta launched, we saw them spin up like 6 God's Reaches, so I don't think that'll be a problem. And they have done campaigns where EU and NA were different maps, but I think that's dependent on how many campaigns they prepare before hand. It doesn't seem like they can create new campaigns on a dime. However, they should definitely come out and say on launch day, if not beforehand, that campaigns start on day Y. It should be fine to keep everyone in God's Reach for a couple days, a week at most, to level chars to 30 and grind harvesting and crafting discs, but there should be an expectation that campaigns will launch on this date, rather than be in limbo knowing campaigns are coming "soon". I hope they'll at least be able to launch an EU and NA campaign for Shadows and Dregs each, but we will have to wait and see

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.