Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some concerns...


Recommended Posts

Myself and three other friends who played a lot of UO, Shadowbane, Dark Age of Camelot, etc all tried the current beta. There was a consensus after roughly 4-5 hours of playing: we don't get it. Not good when four people who have an affinity for PvP/hardcore MMO's cannot justify the purchase of the game to themselves or one another.

Some concerns:

The game has been in development for over a half-decade now and all that's been produced is a season-based, shell of an MMO that has an endgame similar to Dark Age of Camelot, but with no compelling reason to join any particular faction. Crafting is slightly more interesting than your average MMO, but similar things have been done in the past in different MMO's.

The goal is to push the boundaries of the MMO genre, apparently, but I've seen absolutely nothing new in this MMO, nor any novel ideas/systems proposed for the development pipeline. Tons of stuff has been ripped directly from other MMO's, especially Shadowbane.

The CEO doesn't have a good track record for this kind of game. I know he's trying rest comfortably on his Shadowbane laurels, but I am not sure if he remembers that Shadowbane, at release, was nearly unplayable and basically collapsed under the weight of its own ambition and Wolf Pack's ineptitude. In later years, Shadowbane got quite good, but that took YEARS, and there were many serious issues that went unresolved, right up until the time it was shuttered by Ubisoft.

The game is being released into an ecosystem with mature, competitive alternatives, and it is not even promising, specifically, how to be better than it already is. All the studio can do is make promises at this point, but they are not even doing that. Shadowbane had virtually no competition compared to what Crowfall is releasing into. At best, you seem to get a vague set of guiding principles and a cringey comparison by the CEO about how releasing a game is like having a baby, but it really doesn't mean anything.

I've seen people critique ACE's incomprehensible/nonexistent marketing strategy, and I agreed initially, but MMO's rely entirely on repeat business, and any kind of marketing push would be based on half-truths, outright lies and euphemisms like the game "featuring a subscription." I am honestly not sure what there is to market right now.

I am also not seeing the Crowfall stans screeching and hissing at negative feedback, nor lauding every incremental improvement ACE makes to the game. While it's nice to not have to wade through that garbage, it's also somewhat alarming that it isn't present at all. No one really seems to have anything good to say. The best that I am seeing is that combat is okay and that they hope that they will see drastic improvement in all other areas.

I certainly do not want the game to fail, quite the opposite, but I think that any honest accounting of the current situation is going to conclude that things are not looking good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have some valid concerns, and in some ways you are spot on, it's just not going to be the greatest launch ever. What I will say is that this game does not Frontline the fun part... nor am I sure it's even possible to. I would suggest (if it was still possible) getting with a guild and going to a dregs campaign (assuming a somewhat active player base there). There is nothing like open world pvp, and this is where the game shines IMHO.  in infected you can find traces of this occasionally and those are fun when they happen, but you should def try group(s) vs group(s) at fort windows/sieges as well as the smaller scale fights

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, machzy said:

but with no compelling reason to join any particular faction.

While the game can be played as a faction game, it is a much better game when you play it in Dregs with guilds.

I find that factions are not compelling in any game.

IhhQKY6.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, machzy said:

The game has been in development for over a half-decade now and all that's been produced is a season-based, shell of an MMO that has an endgame similar to Dark Age of Camelot, but with no compelling reason to join any particular faction. Crafting is slightly more interesting than your average MMO, but similar things have been done in the past in different MMO's.

Longer then half a decade, much longer. Folks can look up video of gameplay from 2015 and see that there was years of work involved with getting to that stage. The past 6 years has been 50-60 devs adding and removing systems without any plan and it shows from the results. A hodgepodge of game mechanics tossed together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Folks can look up video of gameplay from 2015 and see that there was years of work involved with getting to that stage.

The video footage used for Kickstarter was probably not "gameplay." I think it was more like scripted models in Unity doing things that looked like gameplay. It was promotional "concept" material.

IhhQKY6.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jah said:

The video footage used for Kickstarter was probably not "gameplay." I think it was more like scripted models in Unity doing things that looked like gameplay. It was promotional "concept" material.

Nah. As I said anyone can search for old footage. Lets give Blazzen some love by linking this one from 2015.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Ubisoft closed it summer of 2009 then it was Darkfall closed beta beginning of 2010. I will play Crowfall for a while, but I am sceptical based on how powers & combat system in small scale events and the huge advantage with player numbers without friendly fire etc. 

I always felt it could be so much more exciting with a quite different approach like Ultima Online or even Shadowbane with free city building. And now we cant even build a free city. Crowfall is a limited version of Shadowbane with less content if u consider rune hunting part of small scale events which we should at full servers. But both Shadowbane & Crowfall is a really tiny mmo theme park compare to the elder scrolls online (ESO) just to mention a different mmo who has a theme park with story content, siege combat, Battlegounds. 

 

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Nah. As I said anyone can search for old footage. Lets give Blazzen some love by linking this one from 2015.

Oh, you are talking about the original Hunger Dome. That was an extremely limited game mode. I doubt that took years to make.

IhhQKY6.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jah said:

Oh, you are talking about the original Hunger Dome. That was an extremely limited game mode. I doubt that took years to make.

You seriously cannot claim that didnt take years to make, its the backbone of the game plus hunger dome ruleset. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

You seriously cannot claim that didnt take years to make, its the backbone of the game plus hunger dome ruleset. 

Hunger Dome in 2015 was a very simplistic testing mode. Just a few non-customizable characters in a relatively small zone. I don't know how long it took to make, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it took months, not years. I don't think you can claim it took years as a fact, but you can certainly speculate that it did.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jah said:

Hunger Dome in 2015 was a very simplistic testing mode. Just a few non-customizable characters in a relatively small zone. I don't know how long it took to make, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it took months, not years.

Ok, you just ignorant. You should do some research and educate yourself before you look foolish. Months.... I rest my case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Ok, you just ignorant. You should do some research and educate yourself before you look foolish. Months.... I rest my case.

And the personal attacks begin...

IhhQKY6.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jah said:

And the personal attacks begin...

No sir, its obvious that you are ill informed when you said months. You even said that you didnt know when you revised it down to months. I know you are intelligent, I didnt mean to insult with the word ignorant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, machzy said:

The CEO doesn't have a good track record for this kind of game. I know he's trying rest comfortably on his Shadowbane laurels, but I am not sure if he remembers that Shadowbane, at release, was nearly unplayable and basically collapsed under the weight of its own ambition and Wolf Pack's ineptitude.

There is another person in charge that basically ruined UO with tammriel and later star wars with nge expansion. I mean if we are going to be factual and honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chemosh said:

You have some valid concerns, and in some ways you are spot on, it's just not going to be the greatest launch ever. What I will say is that this game does not Frontline the fun part... nor am I sure it's even possible to. I would suggest (if it was still possible) getting with a guild and going to a dregs campaign (assuming a somewhat active player base there). There is nothing like open world pvp, and this is where the game shines IMHO.  in infected you can find traces of this occasionally and those are fun when they happen, but you should def try group(s) vs group(s) at fort windows/sieges as well as the smaller scale fights

The "...not going to be the greatest launch ever" phrase in the above quote sounds to me like: ACE is going to charge full-price for a partial product, which is going to result in a much smaller playerbase. They will use the cash infusion to develop the game into a full product and then switch monetization over to free-to-play as a long-term strategy. 

That's all well and good, I guess, but it does kind of screw over the early adopters and the most loyal customers/supporters. You're basically paying to beta test a product that is eventually going to be released for free when it's retail quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly think your concerns are completely valid, but there is something here that other MMOs don't have and it's the win conditions in each campaign. With decent working systems to keep the game enjoyable to some degree alone would result in this game failing but I think if they really double down on the Campaigns by adding interesting win conditions and events that take place in each campaign it could net Crowfall some staying power and would result in experiences that can't be experienced in other MMOs.

Edited by silhaku
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've scene a few of of these threads where people have only played a few hours and think they have experienced the game. Like what? Did you even have a chance to PvP? There's not much out there that offers the level of guild vs guild and group vs group combat that Crowfall does. Is development a little behind where it should be? Yea probably. But it's still a solid game if it has a large enough player base, hopefully launch will provide that. I think ACE has the systems in place make the game great in the months following the release, hopefully that happens and Crowfall thrives. Either way, the first few months are going to be a blast. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Glory said:

I've scene a few of of these threads where people have only played a few hours and think they have experienced the game. Like what? Did you even have a chance to PvP?

When you go out for dinner, do you sit through a horrible meal with terrible service just because the restaurant is rumored to haver the best desert in town?

 

Most people wont suffer that long to get to the desert. They will cut their losses and get out asap and go somewhere where the entire experience is enjoyable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...