Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/26/15 - Announcing Stretch Goals!

Folks,

We are now... almost 53 hours into our Kickstarter Campaign! In that remarkably short period, we have almost collected $700,000 in pledges to make Crowfall a reality. That means we're 85% of the way to our goal!    

You guys are amazing. We can't thank you enough for the confidence you have placed in our team and our vision.  

Now... It's time to start talking about stretch goals!  

============  

Stretch Goal 1: Upgrade our Spell FX, Hire Another Eric, and female Centaurs!

We aren't happy with our combat, spell and environmental FX. The current FX in the game are placeholders... not ideal, but it was the only option available, because we didn't have a full time FX artist. Usually games have at least one artist who specializes in making amazing visual FX (explosions, fire, smoke, lightning -- you name it.) 

Since we don't have a dedicated FX Artist, we handed that task to one of our other artists (Eric) and made him do it. The result are FX that look good, but not amazing (no offense, Eric!)

Eric is a fantastic artist, but his ACTUAL job is modeling 3D characters. Here are a few of the 3D characters that Eric has made -- the Confessor and the Frostweaver... see what we mean? amazing, right?

ConfessorRenderCrowfall.jpg

FrostWeaverRender.jpg

So, the "Hire Another Eric" stretch goal really does a few things for us: First: Spell FX! We will use the funds of the stretch goal to hire an FX artist and to secure an FX technology library for creating amazing spell FX in Crowfall.  

Here's an example of the kind of effects that we'll be able to add to the game, by licensing the right technology and putting it in the hands of a pro.  

7b2d75929412d8f299e6ee35132cf5e6_origina

Second: More Characters, Faster!

To be clear, we're not going to fire Eric!

Instead, we can put him back to work where he belongs, on characters! That means that we'll be able to get MORE character work done, more quickly!

With this extra capacity, we're going to add another gender option for one of our previous-locked raced: the Centaur Legionnaire archetype.  That means we'll have male/female variants on: Druid, Ranger, Champion, Confessor, Knight, Templar, Frostweaver... and Legionnaire!  

Multiple wins, for the price of one stretch goal!  

Help us make this goal, and we'll find an FX artist -- and put Eric back to work on characters immediately!

============

Stretch Goal 2: Mounts and Caravans!

A major emphasis of Crowfall is transporting goods and materials. When you raid a quarry and secure a palette of Stone, getting that material back to your stronghold to it -- or to scavenge it for your Eternal Kingdom -- will be a major strategic challenge!

The core module assumes that players will be schlepping these items back and forth in their inventory. That's workable, sure, but it's not nearly as cool as using MOUNTS and CARTS to move those items!

Mounts are something you guys are already familiar with: find a drafthorse or a warhorse, saddle them up and ride them across the countryside.  

Now take that concept and expand it, giving your mounts the ability to carry goods for you and expand your inventory. This opens up a whole new type of gameplay, where ambushing other factions and guilds becomes a lot more interesting (and lucrative!) and opens the door for more systems later (like taming and breeding!)  

Help us make this goal, and we'll race to add MOUNTS to the core module! (ha! see what I did there?)

Crowfall_CaravanBanner.jpg

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I'd like to see as many more archetypes as you can give us! If you make an elven blade master/weaver, I'll reap many souls for the Artcraft team. Blood and Souls and Carebear Tears for my lord Coleman!

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Honestly, while I like the idea of improving the 'core' game, that isn't necessarily what is going to get more backers faster.

You need tchochkies.  In game rewards.  Like say you want mounts, great.  After a certain pledge goal, all backers get a 'dark destrier' exclusive mount.  Now people want to back it, and you get your mounts.

You want additional graphical effects.  Awesome.  At some $ level, you reward all backers with 'glowy_hat_001', KS exclusive!  Now they want it, and it gets rocking.

You want to put Eric to work on more races/classes.  Excellent.  At some $ level you reward all backers with 1 extra KS exclusive character slot.  Now they are pumped about more races/classes because they have an additional opportunity to explore it.

Etc. Etc.  

Folks,

Now take that concept and expand it, giving your mounts the ability to carry goods for you and expand your inventory. This opens up a whole new type of gameplay, where ambushing other factions and guilds becomes a lot more interesting (and lucrative!) and opens the door for more systems later (like taming and breeding!)  

I love this entire paragraph, especially the bolded.

Edit:  They aren't kidding about the tchotchkes.  It's what made me up my original pledge...

Edited by cheyenne wolfshadow

Second: More Characters, Faster!

With this extra capacity, we're going to add another gender option for one of our previous-locked raced: the Centaur Legionnaire archetype.  That means we'll have male/female variants on: Druid, Ranger, Champion, Confessor, Knight, Templar, Frostweaver... and Legionnaire!  

does this mean that if the stretch goal is not reached we only get the current archetype artwork genders? like only champion male/ranger male/ druid female?

Bbhm5iJ.jpg

*Girly shrilling*

Can we kill mounts friend/foe? And are they 'persistent' when we log out/need them instead of being an inventory item to just appear in front of us.

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

Repost from another thread on stretch goals:

I'd rather have them spend extra funds on polishing out the core module till it's absolutely perfect. That includes graphics, animations, the overall feeling of the game, absence of bugs, combat mechanics etc, till absolutely everything in the core module is amazing and incredible and works 100%.

Only after they have that foundation they should start adding additional archetypes, naval warfare, new lands and castles, etc.

Regarding the effects. I recall when we played SB we'd tune all the effects to the near minimum so they don't clutter the view. Some hardcore people played with naked polygons for characters. Imo FX it is the least important thing you could do.

Well it could be important for to attract the masses, but not important in general.

Edited by rajah

does this mean that if the stretch goal is not reached we only get the current archetype artwork genders? like only champion male/ranger male/ druid female?

I would guess not, because I think the dual-genders for those other archetypes were already factored into the plan, while the female centaur was not part of the original plan.

*continues to squee about Lady Centaurs over in a corner*