Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/26/15 - Announcing Stretch Goals!

I was actually having a chat with my mate today and we were taking guesses what the final funding result after 30days will be. He guessed 2.2mill and I guessed 1.5mill. I hope we do get 2mill so we can get more stretch goals.  :D

I guess I just chose a number I thought it would be a realistic at the same time not getting my hopes up to high.  ;)

Looks to be about 5 million.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/

High Fives and Good Times

I'd like to see sword wielders use twin blades, customising character in specific race and abilities or stats, like gliding, more speed, more strength, more loot etc.

I guess I'm probably the only one not excited by stretch goals.

This is the part of stuff that about kickstarters that really irk me, the never ending quest for additional money that comes with them.   First it will be stretch goals,  probably followed by seperate add-on purchases, ect (the linked SotA in the 3rd update is probably the worst of this kind).    Each time something new has to be added to generate additional items to offer for purchase.  By the end, the original concept is buried. 

Worries about the current announced stretch goals:

Improved FX - Dont get me wrong, eye candy is great and all, but extra particle effects and massive sieges/battles don't usually work very well.

Mounts & Caravans - Are the procedurally generated maps designed with mounts in mind?   Mounts are typically the first method of fast travel games use.    Having them immediately shrinks effective map sizes as players are able to cover more distance faster.    Caravans - are these faster or slower than normal travel.   I'm all for being able to carry larger amounts of material at the cost of speed (for efficiency sake - easier to guard, ect).    However, if they are able to move more material at the same or faster speeds, that is a problem imo.   

I guess im glad we still have a 30 day window during the KS regardless of how much is raised to see which direction the game heads.   Please don't turn this into another SC money pit now that people are interested and you see the $ is there.

These are the very first stretch goals announced, i'm sure there will be more added that the community may feel is more important. Given the banner with the Caravan on it was released during the countdown, it is a safe bet that they were part of the game before the stretch goal was announced. These goals are just to see what can be added for the launch of core game itself.

The more goals we reach, the more content/improvements are added for launch day.

Regarding caravans, the whole point is to be able to carry larger amounts of resources in a more efficient manner than on foot. Mass and momentum are part of the game design, so heavier loads could potentially be slower based on the mass of the load and the strength of the horse (or whatever animal is pulling the cart).

Given carts are probably crafted (potentially only crafted, not purchasable - unless bought from another player/guild), I'd imagine there is a significant time and material investment in crafting one, not to mention the cost of the horse/random pack creature itself. So I don't think it is out of place to assume, caravans won't be everywhere (and on some worlds may not make sense to have, based on how far resources are, weather or road conditions,state or season of the hunger, etc...). 

Caravans would also mean that players aren't stuck attacking player strongholds and resources areas.

If building siege weapons was anything like Dark Age of Camelot, I could see a caravan attached to an attacking force, carrying the materials to build siege weapons, maybe a 2nd one to hold the giant flaming boulders you brought as party favors?

If anything was going to make you pull your backing, i'd say it should be the physics themselves and how player movement relates to it. Meaningful mass and momentum is a game changer.

My current concern - and only concern right now - is the short video of the 3 characters jumping over a trench with some debris, where what appears to be a knight, just jumps clean over the trench and is able to do a flip as well - almost looked like a double jump - if you don't understand why this worries me, grab a few free weights or anything heavy around your home, then try and do a somersault. If that works, trying doing it in the air and post the video! (I am not responsible for what happens!)

I don't know if physical movement restrictions are part of the end design goal, but if different player races will have different mass, this should affect how they interact with the world. Centaurs are great in open areas, and could easily make that above mentioned jump the Knight made with little effort required, but would be at a disadvantage indoors, or on a winding mountain trail, marshland, or otherwise unsteady/inconsistent terrain.

Having said that, this is pre-alpha and everything else is looking solid and making me happy happy happy. 

Edited by Squirlypete

I love the art style of this game, and I am looking forward to finally getting my teeth into a new MMO trope.  

I really like the stretch goals.

Here's some ideas for future stretch goals.

1.  Eternal Kingdoms - Incentives to promote allowing your territory to be sieged, with open pvp and full loot.

2.  Guild Vaults - Proper guild banks that have multiple secure areas.  The ability for the guild leader to assign who can access which section through guild ranks.

3.  Additional programmers to speed up production

4.  In-game support - Most companies seem to have done away with this.  We want real GM's in game at all hours.  We want our questions answered in a reasonable time (an hour not 3 days)

5.  MOB AI - Let's make the mobs a little smarter than your average walking dead zombie.

Hiring additional programmers will dramatically increase their time of finishing the game, however programmers usually don't know how to create art assets. :P

Would be nice to see in game support for the project;  However, games such as EVE Online still retain  Game Masters in game who are active, even though it's a subscription MMO, those game masters are volunteers and don't get paid.

Also bare in mind there is a reason Game Masters don't really exist today, while in the past they did exist and it's a technical reason mostly.

In the old days most MMOs (of the first generation of MMOs and the early second generation) were MUDs, except with a 3D interface and game world built over the top of them.  They were cobbled together rather quickly in programming terms and most game programming parts were all database constructed - as in all quests and content were generated from the same set of default list of options, objectives and assets, all created from a centralized database.  This sped up development time, but it also introduced problems where if there were any bugs in the game, a "simple patch" became a major undertaking where they had to open up the entire game source code to locate the problem and often the problem was a whole series of different parts that worked fine on their own but when they worked together, they caused problems.  And at the time, no possible way of telling when these things happened or seeing what players were up to.

Especially in the case of WoW - which right up till the end of BC was a rather buggy game from top to bottom.  Game Masters primarily existed because in those days the games had no external or internal monitoring system set up by the developers to track player movements, actions, bug instances or in game customer support.  So they set up a hidden Game Master class in the game, one which has MUD command overrides to the server with custom controls and abilities,  They then proceed to wander about the game world observing any "gold farmers" reported to see if they really are robots or conducting illegal activities (I was once questioned by a GM myself if I was a gold farmer because I had been in one zone farming repeatedly for 6 hours straight, to which I replied I was grinding rep with  Argent Dawn, for all the good wasting a week of my life doing that did).  Effectively most problems could only be fixed manually and the developers had no automated process with dealing with things and when they investigated accounts, they had to manually do that also - which included, originally (this was in 2005) they had no system for temporarily suspending accounts or to boot a player out of the game to ban them, so when they went to ban someone, they would teleport them into the dungeon below GM island then leave them there to rot till downtime on Tuesday if they refused to log out, then their account gets suspended.  They of course quickly found a solution to that problem because, as you'd image people would want that done to them simply for the attention and experience.  They also didn't have an unstuck button originally either.  I don't know what the situation was with other MMOs, but I'd assume it was the same with a lot of those too.

But long story short, in the old days of MMOs, everything needed to be conducted manually with a bandaid solution to fix between patches, so that's why Game Masters existed.  Since everything is automated these days or can be resolved by a support team working on the back end, rather than within the live game space to fix issues with player accounts or bugs.  Making Game Masters for the most part, redundant.  Still doesn't take away from the personal interaction level and with that the convenience of direct in game customer service.

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

I am also very interested in stretch goals about the eternal kingdom features. Will NPC features be introduced in the Eternal Kingdom?

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

I am also very interested in stretch goals about the eternal kingdom features. Will NPC features be introduced in the Eternal Kingdom?

The said there will be no NPC's where u can buy or sell too/from but they have not said there will be no NPC's at all so maybe

Hey just Shout Bremmen and he will, Rise and Destroy the people you wish decimated :o

You had better start thinking of more stretch goals.  We are closing in on you numbers like a run away freight train!!

Edited by nakawe