Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crueltylizer

Physics For Cloth And Hair

Hi guys

I've tried to find some information about the use of physics for cloth and hair in Crowfall.

From the trailer it seems like capes and such use clothsimulation, which is really great, but I'm wondering if things like hair and normal clothing will also be simulated to some degree or only animated?

143R3yh.gif

Hmm, this is an interesting question. I would love to see cloth / hair physics to help bring the world alive instead of the static / pre-animated models we generally get in a lot of games.

Modders can barely get that to work in Skyrim, muchless in a MMO with a 100 person sieges. I'd rather they spend their limited funds and time somewhere with more broad appeal i.e. general graphical improvements, more archetypes, a more robust network solution, etc.

Edited by flex

b7xcsz.jpg

Yeah, there is a reason for it not being in many games.

It is hard to hair

Hair is more difficult to do than cloth, I agree. I wonder if a mix of animation / physics would work in this case? (I have no idea, I'm in no way an artist). I would think that cloth physics should be more doable for cloaks, capes, banners, etc, however.

Modders can barely get that to work in Skyrim, muchless in a MMO with a 100 person sieges. I'd rather they spend their limited funds and time somewhere with more broad appeal i.e. general graphical improvements, more archetypes, a more robust network solution, etc.

Games like SWTOR, Archeage, Black Desert and most Hero MMOs do it really well so it shouldn't really be excluded just based on that modders can't get it to work in Skyrim, which is a different matter since its an old engine.

Also it would take time off the animators hands as they would not have to animate cloth and capes.

Yeah, there is a reason for it not being in many games.

It is hard to hair

I'm not talking TressFX quality (Tomb Raider), but things like ponytails would be nice to be able to swing back and forth like in Archeage.

143R3yh.gif

Might have been my eyes playing tricks, but I swear the frostweaver's hair in the kickstarter video sways a bit, so I wouldn't put it past ArtCraft to add in cloth simulation.

532c836f2a.png

Might have been my eyes playing tricks, but I swear the frostweaver's hair in the kickstarter video sways a bit, so I wouldn't put it past ArtCraft to add in cloth simulation.

Exactly - its something like a sway, but in the trailer it seems highly animated. 

However the Knights cape is definently using clothsimulation - question is if the rest of the armor will also be using cloth simulation or only capes.

Hair should be done with just a bit of physics and nothing high quality like. If you look at games like Heroes of the Storm they do it really well.

143R3yh.gif

The only reason that it took so long for HDT to be implemented in Skyrim is because that the engine wasn't originally intended for its use. Character and gear weighting isn't the insurmountable task that it is made out to be although I do agree that the devs' time would be best spent in other areas.

The only reason that it took so long for HDT to be implemented in Skyrim is because that the engine wasn't originally intended for its use. Character and gear weighting isn't the insurmountable task that it is made out to be although I do agree that the devs' time would be best spent in other areas.

That is correct.

I do agree that it shouldn't be the highest priority at all, but it seems that capes already are implemented with cloth simulation (If you look at the kickstarter trailer), so I'm just wondering if the rest of the armor we will be wearing will also feature it.

143R3yh.gif

Games like SWTOR, Archeage, Black Desert and most Hero MMOs do it really well so it shouldn't really be excluded just based on that modders can't get it to work in Skyrim, which is a different matter since its an old engine.

Also it would take time off the animators hands as they would not have to animate cloth and capes.

I'm not talking TressFX quality (Tomb Raider), but things like ponytails would be nice to be able to swing back and forth like in Archeage.

I really hope they work on hair because the Frostweaver's hair looks awful right now. She doesn't have individual strands but instead a few big wads of Playdoh hair.

Exactly - its something like a sway, but in the trailer it seems highly animated. 

However the Knights cape is definently using clothsimulation - question is if the rest of the armor will also be using cloth simulation or only capes.

Hair should be done with just a bit of physics and nothing high quality like. If you look at games like Heroes of the Storm they do it really well.

Having the physics engine handle passive hair/armor/weapon animations would actually be more efficient than creating animation sets for them. Predefined animation sets should be avoided wherever possible.

Having the physics engine handle passive hair/armor/weapon animations would actually be more efficient than creating animation sets for them. Predefined animation sets should be avoided wherever possible.

Weapon animations I have to disagree. Combat animations in general need to be handled differently because in a well designed action combat game, the animations make a big difference. Those need to be designed with a thought as to how the devs want combat to play out.

Weapon animations I have to disagree. Combat animations in general need to be handled differently because in a well designed action combat game, the animations make a big difference. Those need to be designed with a thought as to how the devs want combat to play out.

That's why I said that having the physics engine handle passive armor/weapon animations would be ideal. Combat animations would obviously have to be animated separately.

So I was wrong about the cape - it is not using clothsim, but has been animated and blended with Unity's mecanim - Which they did a really great job with I must say. It really fooled me. 

However it seems that they might do simulations when they know how performance will be in bigger battles. 

143R3yh.gif