Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quick Build - Archmage Orb Lord

galvia

Hey Crows! Here's a quick build for the Archmage Frostweaver, designed to dish out as much AOE damage as possible and take advantage of the Frostweavers kit. This build PUMPS in large fights, and can work in small scale if you have a group that supports and provides space for the Archmage to function. If you are focusing on small scale encounters in the field, this build can serve as a good starting place but you may not want to run Chaos Orb as it is definitely more 10v10 oriented. It can still slap in smaller 5~ player type content but you'll have trouble hitting thick orbs.

Archmage Orb Lord

vg7U7qz.png
3esBcAJ.png

Build Notes

This talent path is what I would consider the "default" path for Archmage. Blizzard is an optional talent here, but I would strongly suggest keeping Black Ice in the build as it is one of the best healing debuffs in the game.

Playing this spec is easy, but it has a bit of a positional and timing requirement involved with it that separates spammers from uhh... God Spammers.

You spam your AOEs out onto the enemy, only stepping forward to place them optimally but otherwise play safe in the middle of your group. You can extend to the flank for executing targets of opportunity. Use your ult liberally to refill your ice stores and reduce your incoming damage. Be careful, if you get caught you can die easily.

Example rotation:
Shatter Storm > Frigid Ground > Free Weave and Spam Volatile Ice to 1 remaining ice store, ult. Cast death shard on frost bitten enemies, use execute on targets below 50% HP.

Prioritize AOE damage while you scan for a pick off target. Your execute is very costly in terms of time and mana, so when you use it you need to make sure you are effective.

18 hours ago, Architekt01 said:

major and minors?

They are posted up above, in the screenshots and in the build link, which if you missed it - it's here. I recommend Frozen Dancer and Master of Focus.

17 hours ago, nomadmerc said:

not a fan of the slow moving orbs as from my testing they do not damage mobs like they should. My tooltip says 1500 damage, i see 30 damage in the combat log. Abit messed up.

The Orbs need to be charged up to near 100 to do their max damage, which can be several thousand per target hit (which splashes) but it isn't exactly Ideal for PVE because it takes a long time and moves slowly. It's very good in PVP because it can suddenly blow up huge groups of players or other clumped folks. If you don't love that disc, there are several other in Frost that are good selections. Consider Frostbiter or Paragon as good options to switch, especially if you are doing mostly farming or small scale PVP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 6:01 PM, exvee said:

Now that live has been out a week, any changes? Meta seems to be moving quickly.

Nope! No changes yet. New balance patch is coming sometime this week though so we'll see.

Ran this build for months except no black ice and took 3rd minor. Black ice is 9m range and AM is too squishy for that

Secondary stat is STR for high damage. 

I would never take sturdy on an AM you really need finish him. 

And orb got a 16s CD and 33% damage nerf 

Edited by yianni

1 hour ago, yianni said:

Ran this build for months except no black ice and took 3rd minor. Black ice is 9m range and AM is too squishy for that

Secondary stat is STR for high damage. 

I would never take sturdy on an AM you really need finish him. 

And orb got a 16s CD and 33% damage nerf 

Black Ice persists and is extremely useful in all scales because you can place it where enemies will end up walking into it very reliably. I don't hate the third minor for this build, but especially since my guild fights out numbered 9/10 and is reacting to large pushes I get a lot of value out of that ice.

On stats, STR definitely out performs DEX for pure damage. Updated the 10 points I misallocated while rushing the build out :P

Sturdy is >> Finish Him in my experience in medium to large scale (where I play this build) but I can see finish him gaining value in smaller scale fights where you are less likely to be topped, and more likely to be spamming executes often. I definitely recommend the finish him minor if you take the third minor over black ice however. 15% PDM while over 85% HP has incredible value for a class that has poor escapes and only lightly flanks, as you can easily keep yourself healthy and reduce your chances of becoming a called target.

Death Shard + 2 executes is more than enough damage in my experience when someone is floating around 50% to kill them, even without finish him. If you are spending a lot of time in larger fights spamming executes you have either already won the fight, or are losing out on GCDs where you could be stacking concussion or cleaving. That isn't to say you shouldn't ever be landing executes, it just should be in the minority of your actions.

6 hours ago, galvia said:

Black Ice persists and is extremely useful in all scales because you can place it where enemies will end up walking into it very reliably. I don't hate the third minor for this build, but especially since my guild fights out numbered 9/10 and is reacting to large pushes I get a lot of value out of that ice.

On stats, STR definitely out performs DEX for pure damage. Updated the 10 points I misallocated while rushing the build out :P

Sturdy is >> Finish Him in my experience in medium to large scale (where I play this build) but I can see finish him gaining value in smaller scale fights where you are less likely to be topped, and more likely to be spamming executes often. I definitely recommend the finish him minor if you take the third minor over black ice however. 15% PDM while over 85% HP has incredible value for a class that has poor escapes and only lightly flanks, as you can easily keep yourself healthy and reduce your chances of becoming a called target.

Death Shard + 2 executes is more than enough damage in my experience when someone is floating around 50% to kill them, even without finish him. If you are spending a lot of time in larger fights spamming executes you have either already won the fight, or are losing out on GCDs where you could be stacking concussion or cleaving. That isn't to say you shouldn't ever be landing executes, it just should be in the minority of your actions.

there's a WAY better minor out there for damage but im not saying what it is. and it should be on all AM builds. also 2% crit chance on the finish him vs 3% crushing resist on the minor. end game my AP was always maxed and didnt need glamour weapon, i also prefer fae for movement although high elf isnt bad either for the extra dodge pip but thats about it. crit damage is maxed, and never have mana issues with the 500sp ult and ice callers/ illuminate

i think that black ice should be on FGs. most of the time if youre getting pushed its because youre losing people in todays ranged aoe orb meta which at that point black ice isnt gonna help you just because they walked into it

in the end it does come down to your play style and preference