Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vaeryx

Levelling

Levelling   

365 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want levelling to be a feature in the game?

• Yes, it adds a sense of progression
    • No, it stops me from playing with my friends
    • Yes, (Add reason in the comments)
    • No, (Add reason in the comments)

Personally I'd say no for a number of reasons...

1. It stops me from playing with guild members and friends.

2. It's ridiculous to think that you have to be level 45 and almost finished your journey just to use a sledgehammer as a weapon unless it's a magically imbued one.

3. Once you hit level cap in most games there's nothing to do any more except for dungeons raids and/or PvP.

Please give me your opinions on this topic!

Personally I'd say no for a number of reasons...

1. It stops me from playing with guild members and friends.

2. It's ridiculous to think that you have to be level 45 and almost finished your journey just to use a sledgehammer as a weapon unless it's a magically imbued one.

3. Once you hit level cap in most games there's nothing to do any more except for dungeons raids and/or PvP.

Please give me your opinions on this topic!

I would have to disagree on this because leveling makes me feel that accomplishment, I feel that I achieved a goal, It makes me want to keep playing to achieve that goal.

Yes, but not in the traditional sense. I want levels that make you stronger, but I don't want overall levels. I want specific skills to be trained and the difference between 1 and 100 to be relatively minor. For instance, a character who is entirely maxed out might only be on paper 3-4 times stronger than a completely new character (with gear and other factors making a difference too). 

The best leveling system I've experienced was Runescape's, whereby each activity had its own skill. For instance, if you wanted to cut down a tree, there was a skill called woodcutting for that. The more trees you cut down, the higher your skill went. The higher your skill, the faster you could cut down trees and the better the tree type you could cut down (with better materials affecting and being required for the better crafting options). However, reaching the mid levels was fairly quick. The bulk of what you could do in any skill was available between 1-70, which wasn't crazy hard to reach. Yet, you could keep going, all the way to 99, and that was really hard, really long. Yet there was immense prestige to it because of this. I miss a system of leveling that works this way, that doesn't make you an impregnable God compared to new players, that takes unfathomable time to master, and allows you to truly stand apart if you put the effort in to do so.

Though I would say that combat doesn't have to take as long as crafting. I feel that crafting needs to take a very long time to master as a priority over combat, because that's the heart of the economy. It needs to be important and difficult. This makes crafters so, so much more valuable. 

There are too many factors involved for me to reply to the poll. If we have say, 20 levels that take you ~10 hours to max I wouldn't mind levels, but if its a 1000 hour grind to get your toon maxed out, I'll scream.

I would go insane too if that is the system, but only if being maxed gives you a tremendous advantage. If it's more of a perk or minor boost, it's not nearly as critical. Crafting could give you a tremendous advantage (gear being the main point of course). 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

No levels no classes.

You raise only skill that you like and stats thanks to these skills, and shouldn't take eons like in Darkfall but 2-3 days to max your build. Sandboxes aren't themepark with endless progression and timesink.

Archduchess Alice

Mmorpg with levelling are done over and over in the past year, i would like to see a growth system like the Ultima Online one

100% agree.

Archduchess Alice

No leveling and here's my 2 cents why: 

A lot of time needs to be invested into creating leveling content. Quests, NPC(s), Hubs, dealing with bugs,etc. It goes on and on. I'd rather that development time spent on the end game content right out of the gate. Even if creating leveling content takes 1 minute away from end game sustainability and design, it's 1 minute that can make the difference between an good event and a great event. 

Also leveling content is a finite commodity. Once you do it once, you're done. The value it adds for replay-ability only caters to alt-aholics at that point unless you start crafting even more leveling content than is needed. As example, let's say I need 3 quests to level up, but in order to increase replay-ability of the leveling portion of the game, I have 5 quests I can pick up. The efficient player will do 3 and skip 2. The completionist will do all 5. The alt-ahoic will make a second character and mix in the other 2 quests. In the end, all 3 groups of players will complain about something because that's what we do as a player base: complain. At this point even more development time wil need to be spent fine tuning leveling content pull away from other projects. 

TL;DR:

Leveling in MMO's is nothing more to a grind in my personal opinion (can't speak for anyone else but myself here). Skip it and focus efforts in content that matters. 

PvE if done right can actually enhance the pvp experience. This was the case for shadowbane (fighting over grind spots) and DAOC. Many a times in emain did we fight over the imp or ww spawn. Two of the highest contested spawns at the time, lots of fun. Guilds on Darktide would take over towns and monopolize nearby dungeons for leveling and loot.

Just a few examples of how leveling / grinding pve can add more objectives to pvp outside of just sieging.

Yes, I definitely want levels because I like the progress of them.  However, time spent on creating levels should be balanced with end-game content so there's plenty of things to do once you're top level.  I'd like replayable dungeons that are fun, not a grind.  The only dungeon I replay on Wizard101 just for the fun of it is Big Ben.  It has humor and challenge even if you're OP for it and the possibility of a rare drop.  Need dungeons like that -- that you replay because they're just plain fun, not because you're after gear and what not.  (Odds of getting that rare MB car drop are so slim that you don't really farm for it.)  I am not a fan of farming for gear or rare items.  Not going to do it.  Just too tedious.  Dungeons that are fun and since this is combining sandbox with traditional MMO's some awesome sandbox activities too that you will keep playing for the way people keep at Minecraft (but better graphics please and judging from the artwork shared, it is better).  A combo of the two.  I want levels because I like goals like that but keep it so once you reach the goal there's plenty more fun to do and I do NOT mean PvP.  I think this is where Wizard101 fails utterly.  It depends too much on PvP to keep you entertained once you reach top level.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

I answered this on another post.  If this is something the devs are considering, I do not think that leveling should be a feature in the game.  It is time consuming and has potential to discourage players from ever reaching end game content.  A leveling system that takes a long time (such as that in Darkfall) is very discouraging and promotes macroing so people can stay on top of the game by having the most advanced character with the best, and most powerful, skills.

However, with that said, I do think that some sort of "leveling" system should be in place for secondary factors such as crafting or gear (or for combat purposes, I may make a post on this later).  This could give players more things to do, other than kill each other, and allow players to feel accomplished in working towards something.

I want levels because I like goals like that but keep it so once you reach the goal there's plenty more fun to do and I do NOT mean PvP.  I think this is where Wizard101 fails utterly.  It depends too much on PvP to keep you entertained once you reach top level.

My sense is this game is going to be almost all PvP, and almost instantly "end game".  Any leveling or improvements we get will be aimed directly at making us stronger at max level PvP. 

No levels, no classes. Skills are unseen to prevent min/max and remove the "trinity" type of play. Let characters be judged by what skill they show you while using the gear you see and not stats where you feel the need to tell them how to play. Besides, aren't you tired of hearing, 'what is the best class?', 'what level can i kill X?', 'will you powerlevel me?'. With my other suggestions, the end_game would start day one and never end

I don't really see the issue with leveling if it's done well.  I never saw leveling systems as one of the silly things that watered down/ruined MMOs.  It's fine.  If they come up with something else, and it's done well, then that's fine too.

I dont mind levels.  Dont like them either.  My biggest problem is that I will get a toon half way to max level and realize a way I could have made it better.  20 rerolls  later, I get bored with that class and try another.  Mix and repeat ad nauseum.  

Before I decided to solo, I would max out my spec toons and roll my experimental toons on the side. So I can max when I have to.  

Ideally, max level should not take long, but there must be some reason to play when nothing else is going on.  Disc runs, rune hunting, mines and banes all take some time, but not enough.

I don't want regular leveling in the game because most of the people I play with are adults now, with kids, wives, and lives that limit their play time. Seeing them only just hit end game a month after I have is a ton of time we could have been having fun together that we missed out on. Instead, have a minimal time investment grind per character... maybe 3-8ish hours or so just to prevent folks from insta rolling a perfect counter to whatever they just faced. Then create a ridiculous amount of classes and ways to build them that are mostly permanent commitments. In Shadowbane there were so many ways to build a Thief that even with that as a main for the better part of a decade of playing there were still things I never got around to trying. That many builds for an individual character expands itself into an even more ridiculous amount of potential spec (specialized) groups that can be put together. In a recent iteration of the SBEMU I had over 60 different toons that all handled different and were there for different purposes. I never ran out of things to do or try and speedy leveling made the game more interesting, not less.

pKWaYh4.jpg

I dont mind levels.  Dont like them either.  My biggest problem is that I will get a toon half way to max level and realize a way I could have made it better.  20 rerolls  later, I get bored with that class and try another.  Mix and repeat ad nauseum.  

Before I decided to solo, I would max out my spec toons and roll my experimental toons on the side. So I can max when I have to.  

Ideally, max level should not take long, but there must be some reason to play when nothing else is going on.  Disc runs, rune hunting, mines and banes all take some time, but not enough.

I agree with surbear here. I like having leveling to give you some sort of gradual learning of your character and how it works. "Slowly" leveling and adding disc runes and different skills over time lets you discover your character and how each spell works together. Being given max level overwhelms the player with too much and if you give them too little the instant max character becomes too shallow. I would like leveling to be something like Shadowbane (no quests, just grinding but not TOO long of a grind such as Lineage 2) with a class like druid that helps speed up the process in a group.