Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vaeryx

Levelling

Levelling   

365 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want levelling to be a feature in the game?

• Yes, it adds a sense of progression
    • No, it stops me from playing with my friends
    • Yes, (Add reason in the comments)
    • No, (Add reason in the comments)

UO-style skill cap.

Even though most people ran 7 skills at 100 to meet the 700 skill cap, it also allowed for some creative builds in which you had for instance 90 fencing, 80 anatomy, 90 healing, 40 magery etc. IMHO this provides more diversity, flexibility, and allows for more creativity than leveling your rogue to level 50 for instance, and the only distinguishing feature being equipment worn. The skill-based system allowed for novel ways to progress ones skills such as sparring with a fellow player, going to the Deceit "bone wall", hunting Ettins, or trapping a polar bear in a house, rather than following a defined leveling path players develop for maximum efficentcy.

b7xcsz.jpg

One character per account and obtaining/holding land for the resources as the begining/end game. Never run out of content there *wink*

Mmorpg with levelling are done over and over in the past year, i would like to see a growth system like the Ultima Online one

Agreed. Copy and paste UO's skill system. Maybe add an aditional layer like perks at a given tier. For example, at 60 Magery you can choose x or y, then another branching choice at 80 etc to further specialize.

I think we should have leveling for stuff like "strength, coordination, stamina".

But the new thing about this game is that, you can keep leveling forever. 

At first, the increase in level would be high, like

Lvl 1: 1

Lvl 2: 5

Lvl 3: 11

Lvl 4: 16

But as you approached the high ranks, it'd take more to get more powerful

Lvl 99: 999

Lvl 100: 1000

Lvl 101: 1001

Lvl 102: 1001.(9)

LvL 103: 1002, etc.

So it'd be useless to grind, because if you at the high ranks, you could be 100 levels above another person, yet have a 20 skill point difference, and stats don't matter as much as skill too, (if' it's a small difference). 

I like the idea of branching, no two person's lvl 80 could be the same. 

I think, a new way, your real time stat should be based off your EXP. In real life, it's not like, I can curl 25 pounds right now, and I will keep curling until I'm strong enough to curl 30. Yet you can't do 26,27,28, or 29 pounds. I think that levels should just be like checkpoints.

~Please message me if you have a question!

Let the doctor fix things up

I dont mid leveling at all if it is challenging and meaningfull way how to play and no just thingd that MMORPG have to have coz you know RPG things.

I say "NO!" to leveling and "yes" to character growth. A character who learns new abilities and gets better at them slowly over time is far more interesting and just better for all the reasons others have already mentioned.

I would have to disagree on this because leveling makes me feel that accomplishment, I feel that I achieved a goal, It makes me want to keep playing to achieve that goal.

Do you mean you need a "DING" or that you want there to be character improvements that you get through playing the game over time?

Leveling to me is a box we get put in and are forced to wallow in until the box is full. Character growth on the other hand is (Like in EVE) a vast almost infinite world of options that allow people to feel accomplishment every time they play.

Yes, but leveling should not be extremely difficult. I prefer Shadowbane's system: relatively easy to level to 75, and an in-depth class customization system that provides incentives for the player to level several different characters for a plethora of different roles.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

My sense is this game is going to be almost all PvP, and almost instantly "end game".  Any leveling or improvements we get will be aimed directly at making us stronger at max level PvP. 

That's what everyone's assuming and so has not been said.  It only says we're going to compete against one another for the throne.  It does not say how we will be.  I'm really already tired of that assumption.  It contains no imagination for other possibilities whatsoever.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

One of the progression systems that I am really a fan of is the one in Mabinogi.  I like the idea of picking up a sword, using it for a while, and then learning "sword mastery".  Then, the more you use it, the better you get with it.  This system applies to all skills, and it's a really neat way of dealing with what a person wants to do with their character.  You don't need a "class".  You don't need a "skill/power/talent tree". 

You want to be a knight in heavy armor by day and a stealthy rogue by night?  Just use the skills you want.

roughtly 18 years of on-line games for me, and i am done with levelling since 10 al least!

"level = competent" is a western idea that should be erased in my personal opinion.

what do U need in a on-line game? experience is the answer.

so, lets play, all at the same level, with the same opportunity regarding gear, but while U play U gain experience that let U discover new powers combos or new crafting combinations, so Ur able to take that armor and enchant it, or set 3 hits in a row and add an extra effect that Ur opponent can't.

same idea for the game zones, lets travel everywhere, while Ur near a city defended by NPC Ur relative safe, as soon as U go deep out U can meet mobs, and they are agressive/stronger depending on how wild is the area, its up to U to accept the challenge, or build up a team and go there in a group to find what's there and what rare things U can collect

it would looks like the real world instead an immaginary world where levels make U prepared and allways sure to kill Ur opponent (Ur lev 50 and in the area there are only lev 40 mobs = easy grind).

the idea of relatives small safe areas near cities and whide wild areas where there is no safe place attract me a lot, make my time more valuable, i can decide to spend a week outhere to cross that wild area and collect what i can just to reach the nex city and sell everithing on the market where my products are rare (experience grinding = abilities/combos gain); or i can stand in the safe city, wait for the brave one to buy their prducts and than craft unique items to sell them back (crafting grinding = powers/knowledge gain).

yes my firend, i will kill you, and i enjoy it ^^

No.

I think things should be more skill based, be it with aquired skills as in abilities, be it a skill sheet, or even purely knowing how to fight with a functional form. Singular overall skills as pre-requisites for armor, weapons, or abilities is a bit redundant and old by now. Not to mention it really kills any atmosphere you could have with your character. It kills that little bit of unique talent you might posess because you thought it was a good idea. Not because you are simply moving forward on the same railway track as everyone else.

Yes, but if there is instanced content I would like to see smart leveling for groups.  (Since I forget the proper term right now I'll explain what I mean by smart leveling :P.  Basically there is max lvl for that piece of content, if you're over it you and your gear are scaled down to match it.  Thus you can still play with your friends while not hampering yourself.)

I never really liked leveling in MMORPGs for multiple reasons. I would much prefer a skill based system as opposed to level based. It always made more sense to me that using a skill should have a chance to increase said skill instead of leveling and all of a sudden being able to raise a skill or ability that you may have never even used.

Making levels from a resource standpoint never really made sense to me either. Taking the time and money to create zones for each level bracket that a lot of people will rush through and never return to unless they make an alt is a waste. With a skill based system, while there will obviously be better areas than others for skill gains, you won't see as many empty zones. Being able to have the flexibility and freedom to go wherever you want and have a good time is a lot funner to me than being told to go to xyz zones in order to level only to never return.

Then there is the whole issue with not being able to play with friends/guildmates. Sure there are other MMOs where you can mentor/sidekick up to higher levels or be able to go down in levels to play with others, but I would rather not see any levels in the first place. Giving  players the freedom to go wherever we want instead of being told where to go for certain levels is my hope.

Edited by noobzilla_youtube

I dont agree with "leveling" in the sence of; if I get 16k xp I am a level 20 warrior now....even though I got all of that xp farming or fishing or something.  I think there should be a system of progression, based on what you DO in the game not the xp you GAIN. Now that level 20 fisherman/farmer who never fought a battle levels up abilities/skills as a warrior, even though he never took the sword out of the sheath.  Bruce Lee had a quote that comes to mind here "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times".  If you have some one who puts in the work to practice and use Whirling Blade of Death as much as possible he should be able to do more damage, land better and crit more than the fisherman/warrior.  It would also make for more interesting PVP.  No levels means no more level 70's doing the math and seeing no possible combination of skills/equipment below level 45 can kill him. Running around just looking for any lvl below 45 to mess with.  . For all you know that dude riding in the cart full of gold is Bruce Lee. Now if you want to take some dude out its based on the work you have put into evading, damage, skill, abilites. Not just a bump up in stats/abilities based off doing enough to reach an arbitrary number of points. Now its skill against skill. Combat based off of what combination of skills you chose and the trainning you put into doing them. No more classes.  Want to be charlie sheen? Put in the work and you too can be a Vatican Assissin Warlock all jacked up on tigers blood and be effective. No more "effective classes" do to the numbers not being there with skills and stats. It wont just be a numbers game any more. 

Yes, but I want a Runescape-style of leveling. Where you have an overall level depending on your combined stats, but as for having that cause differences in combat? No. I want that to be based slightly on gear and more on skill. 

Throw me to the Wolves

and I will return leading the Pack.

i do want levels so it seems like i'm not wasting my time doing nothing but i don't them to be a waste of time. i want levels to be something i can enjoy or relax while doing and not stress over how many days it will take. :P thx for reading

~STAY MAD~

I have just read every ones reply on this topic and people are saying that leveling would be bad because of the difference in game "strength" being a higher level but people saying or thinking that I ask this to, what is the point in investing play time in a PvP game if not to get better or gain advantage over other players. I for one have played my fair share of MMO's and RPG's. Playing games like Skyrim, World of Warcraft, Wizard101, Guild wars 2. Throughout all the games my I believe Skyrim has the best leveling system. The leveling system in case you have not played Skyrim is a, "more you use it the better it gets" I like to call it. I would love to see a system like this in a new MMO. Allowing people to have very open choice in their leveling. Say you want to be a mage, you level up mage based stats. Say you want to be a one handed mage axe man? You can level up how you want and what you want to fit your play style. But at the same time people with lower level stats could be in one section of PvP as of higher stats in another category so your not "one shotting" level ones. But there could also be a main category of levels of which when you level up you gain new things in the game to do such as new arenas to fight in or new things to put on your character. I also love playing me some World of Warcraft and I would love to see some of the ideas from that game implemented into "Crowfall" like mount riding, Side professions, and so on that could have there own set of leveling to be done. I never want to get on the game and have like a  "what do I do now" moment and be bored. :D

Edited by ultimate-gamer

Without levling at all a mmo would be a bit boring imo. I dont want levling like "character lvl 1-90" though.

Lvling skills and attributes by doing stuff that uses those skills/attributes is the way to go imo

Kinda like UO or MO