Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vaeryx

Levelling

Levelling   

365 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want levelling to be a feature in the game?

• Yes, it adds a sense of progression
    • No, it stops me from playing with my friends
    • Yes, (Add reason in the comments)
    • No, (Add reason in the comments)

The problem with leveling, in my eyes, is that you have to create a load of quests and areas to level in, that are only ever used for that purpose.

That means like 80% of the world people visit once, rush through as fast as they can, then spend barely any time there again.

Seems like a horrendous waste of development time?

No levels. spend development time on tools for players to have fun with, not giant zones with crap quests they'll do once and never again.

So acording to devs post >>>>> http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/433-big-numbers-hell-no/#entry8237

I think we should expect character progression!!

"Numbers should be meaningful and provide a clear indication of player advancement"

Probably we'll see a leveling system. (In fact I'm totally ok with that)

But I'm just assuming so...

There needs to be a compelling reason for people to be out and about in the world.

This is routinely achieved by the game design requiring people to go out and grind levels.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

There needs to be a compelling reason for people to be out and about in the world.

This is routinely achieved by the game design requiring people to go out and grind levels.

In ONE genre of game, this is routinely done. But this group of developers have stated they want to step away from the conventions of this game genre and so I would hope for something more fun to compel players to play.

I think leveling is a necessity.   I'd like to see it take 1-2 weeks to level a character.

You learn how to play your character.  For a game that looks to instill consequence back into MMo's, I think it would be folly to go the instant gratification route.  There is no investment, no time, and no consequence lent to the choices you make.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing;  You are taking players out of the active world environment.  This is a PVPcentric viewpoint. "I don wanna level no stinkin toon!!! lemme git to mashin noobs!" 

Gimp your toon? create a new one.  Got rolled by a spec group? put a new one together instantly.  Once again, no consequence.

You go this route, and you'll have a quickly inactive server with fewer and fewer people logging in for scheduled conflict events.

No Thanks.

PS

Maybe they could make instant level cap a cash shop option.

I voted no. I prefer having a set number of skill points that are learned by action over a set "XP bar" type leveling system. One reason is you have to do action, you cannot level passively. For example run, chop wood, kill mobiles, take damage and cast spells in order to raise your stats. You want to leasn a skill, pick up an axe and start hacking away! You cannot be power leveled using this format. It also allows for more character customization if implemented correctly. 

As long as level grinding stays in reasonable parameters, i'm fine with them existing, the grind shouldn't take an insane amount of time nor should it be to fast.. there should be an equal medium so that players of varying time constraints can still enjoy leveling up.

I don't get it. What do you mean? Macro?

I think he meant Marco, and then you're supposed to say "Polo".  

I think most people who are saying they want leveling are saying so for the need to learn how to play rather than the grind effect that subscription MMOs put in to make people play for a longer time to get to end game. I'd rather pay a sub to play a game that's fun to play than one that I have to play for months to get to the fun. But a tutorial phase of the game that has a safer zone and incremental growth for an optional amount of time could still do that without "leveling". I say optional amount of time because I hate making an alt and being forced to repeat the same intro zone over and over if I already know what I'm doing.

If we are talking about a learning phase for the game, give the players a choice to use it or not.  Have a small area in the starting zone/zones that has just npcs who run you through a tutorial and offer a few "jobs" for you to practice on.  They get a little coin to start off with and a better sence of what to do. Those who dont like to hit the ground running can get a little helping hand.  Those that dont like the grind can run off into the sunset and see what the day brings.  

I for one dont think there should be alts. Perma-deaths, a game with real consequences doesnt seem consistant with just being able to switch toons. With a use it to raise it type of system there is now no need for alts.  You can level or get better at what ever you want. Tired of being a warrior or an archer want to try mage. Then go try mage. While I use these classes for reference. I dont think we should have classes either. Level what you want and make any combination you want.  Stop telling me what a mage should be and the skills he has. Let me make my own mage and see how I do.  That way if I die its because I suck or chose a bad skill set.  Not because of the limitation of the mage "class" set forth by some one else.

I don't get it. What do you mean? Macro?

Macroing is automating a process, generally using an outside program.

For example, if you want to raise your sword skill, you have a program that has you attack with your sword automatically over and over. You then go to sleep, go to work, or go play something else. Check back a few hours later and tada you got gains while afk.

Didnt they already say thar will be zero leveling:

"don’t want to kill more rats, fill another experience point bar or collect another meaningless badge."

Edited by krevra

krevra.png

Unless you go to a fully interactive system you are always going to have some one trying to do it the "easy" way.  You have the same problem with XP based systems.  They macro their toon to run around killing mid level mobs with a specific set of hotbar skills. They dont care if it takes 65,340,285 dead boars to get to max.  They can just let their computer run for the 7 weeks, 5 days, 13 hours and 20 minutes sleeping thier computer for 3 hours a night.  Play other games then come back and be max level then run around OP without putting in any work.

Macroing is automating a process, generally using an outside program.

For example, if you want to raise your sword skill, you have a program that has you attack with your sword automatically over and over. You then go to sleep, go to work, or go play something else. Check back a few hours later and tada you got gains while afk.

LAME.

It's not supposed to increase your skill unless you're actually hitting a living monster. <<<< This should be the FIRST worry if you want a system like armageddon suggested.

I can't think of anything that stops macros at crafting or wood cutting though..... This would be a complicated system to implement.

Anyways I don't think the game will be anything like this.

LAME.

It's not supposed to increase your skill unless you're actually hitting a living monster. <<<< This should be the FIRST worry if you want a system like armageddon suggested.

I can't think of anything that stops macros at crafting or wood cutting though..... This would be a complicated system to implement.

Anyways I don't think the game will be anything like this.

Macros get sophisticated. Only works on mobs? Trap or LOS them and stop when they are at low life until a respawn. You can trigger actions based on time or even pixel changes (health bars)

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Ya, you can't say no to something because of macros... It's like saying no monetary system because there are gold farmers. You don't kill this system, you kill the cheaters.  How do you kill a macro bot? let it swing it's sword, require all character development require dynamic interaction for a change and a bot will require some seriously sophisticated programming to function and won't be the more efficient way of gaining experience/skill or what ever.