Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vaeryx

Levelling

Levelling   

365 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want levelling to be a feature in the game?

• Yes, it adds a sense of progression
    • No, it stops me from playing with my friends
    • Yes, (Add reason in the comments)
    • No, (Add reason in the comments)

When I was about 10 I asked my dad why people have fences.  I could just run up grab the top bar, use the bounce of the mesh then flip myself over it in about 2 seconds.  He looked at me and said "all fences do is keep honest people honest"

I played FFXI,  they didnt have a lot of bots.  The did have a lot of gold farmers, all people.  I spent a few months farming Stromper Chyme for a rare drop.  After showing up everyday for a week or so the guy that was always there would post the time of the last spawn (it was on a spawn timer then rng for the drop) and say hello.  I learned a bit of Chinese and taught him a bit of Enlgish. The point being honest players will play honestly, and you will never stop some one who wants to be dishonest. He will always find a way around the rules.  You just have to make it more difficult to discourage the number willing and able to do so.  

As Mcfear said.  Only an interactive system where you respond to the actions you see on screen to stay alive would prevent a combat or skill macro.  It would also make combat and PvP skills based, not solely numbers based.

My macroing explanation was very simplified, so may not have been the most clear. Plus I'm on mobile so typing sux.

In hindsight, I should have used a different example.

But yeah, in my example, there would be a mob, let's say a wolf. Program automates attscking the wolf. It dies, another spawns, aggros, and your character kills it. This process repeats until you return to the PC. When you can't level on wolves, you move your character to where bears spawn. Run the program, come back later and move to giants' spawn.

And yes, I agree that decisions can't be made based on macroing. Bots exist in level-based MMOs same as skill based ones.

That "tired of filling experience bars" quote says a thousand words though, and is a very good point.

I'd like to see more end game, less grinding, so little to no leveling, but a lot of options for development and customization.  I don't want to have to play for months to get to where I can start playing, if that makes sense.

An easy leveling, as in SB (one of its greatest achievements), is acceptable. A grinding game is just not for me anymore: been there, done that, then found SB and got spoiled forever.

As I just mentioned in another thread, I'd like however to see some difference in achieving physical skills (should be easy, at least the basics) and achieving magical skills, which should be IMO quite harder, so magic is not the center of the game, but rather a somewhat prized complement in a more "realistic" combat design, in which melee and ranged fighters make the bulk of the job.

What about a new leveling system?

Why gain experience for killing mobs?

Why not gain experience/levels as reward for Guild mastering, fulfilling achievements, promoting gameplay, saving towns, succeeding with Faction battle plans, etc?

Lets jump right into the action. Lets do no more bunny killing!

Whether I'm gaining levels or gaining skill points is in essence the same thing, as long as both options have strong character customization. What is important is how I go about gaining skill points or levels.

If I'm grouping with friends doing challenging dungeons/pvp etc, and progressing my character I'm having fun. This is assuming the game hasn't imposed crazy rules that do nothing but discourage and punish those that do try and do group content as has been the case in many recent mmo's.

If the fastest way to level up is running solo quests, it doesn't matter what kind of level/skill system the game does or does not have, I will not be playing it.

Hopefully this game brings the Multiplayer back into MMORPG. Don't need another MSORPG.

There must be some levelling or experience to be gained because players will feel a sense of achievement.

Now, instead of just labelling players level 2 or level 50, why not include specific names or title when a player hit every five levels? For example, level 5 and below will be called something, whereas level 5 to level 10 will be called something else. Then, there must be an assortment of skills that players can level up. Like, a skill alone can be levelled up, and not just your overall character.

There must be some levelling or experience to be gained because players will feel a sense of achievement.

Now, instead of just labelling players level 2 or level 50, why not include specific names or title when a player hit every five levels? For example, level 5 and below will be called something, whereas level 5 to level 10 will be called something else. Then, there must be an assortment of skills that players can level up. Like, a skill alone can be levelled up, and not just your overall character.

Yeah. I'd like titles. "no-one", "Peasant", "Trainee", "squire, "knight", "lord"

is see mine as: "Lord Markraven The Impaler of the Umberland Kingdom, member of the House of The Eternal Glory, from the Order of the Unicorn!"

I like that idea!

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

Personally i loved sb's way of leveling. As an adult i don't have time for a Korean or WoW like grinder. That would immediately turn me away from the game. I'd like to think most of the sb players would agree with me.

Leveling should be in the game but as a minimum grind. Be able to hit max level in a day or so. 75% of the cap in 10 hours and then the remaining 25% over 14 hours. This allows character experimentation and combination experimentation which is more fun and has players more invested.

Before I die, I shall stand upon your grave and smile.

Leveling should be in the game but as a minimum grind. Be able to hit max level in a day or so. 75% of the cap in 10 hours and then the remaining 25% over 14 hours. This allows character experimentation and combination experimentation which is more fun and has players more invested.

I'd also like to see that there is NO real neccesity to reach MAX LEVEL for taking part into the core PvP game. Maybe with just 60% (or even less) of max cap

you can get right into the MAIN ACTION of the game, and not feel like a mosquito or a germ that has to run when facing a MAX CAP oponent.

Just an example of that. Lets say that a party of 6 or 7 characters (or even less) of 60% level that engages into battle with an only one MAX CAP FULL GEAR character has a chance of success if they play wisely.

But in my example, would be preferable to take a long time of grind to reach MAX CAP level. (that also keeps players more time playing but still enjoying the game)

Edited by markraven

The progression they seem to go for is a skill progression, and I love this idea. It's like if at the start, you already feel like you're tweaking your character to be the best, rather than feeling the pain of having to level up all again with the same storyline you did with 6 other of your characters and then you consider maxing out your character. 

Leveling ruins games. A leveling system means that once you get a level or two above an enemy that enemy (player or monster) becomes obsolete. And once things become obsolete In a game there is no reason to go to areas with monsters/players lower than you. Also logically it's stupid and boring because a creature 5 levels below you or whatever depending on the game can attack you with a sword for ever and never deal damage to you. I like skill systems like Mortal Online because you can have a lot of progression with out making parts of the game obsolete.

I can't wait until the day I don't have to see new level based grind games and "level area" games any more

I feel like it will be better to have levels as it just feels better to level up, and there should be some content you have to unlock as what's the point if you have everything at level 1(first starting).

-levels should not increase your "power" ie you don't gain +10 attack just bc you leveled up

-certain abilities will be level locked (doesn't make them better than your other abilities tho)

-more people will be willing to fight a higher level than run away if levels don't mean anything power-wise, thus more PvP

TSGH