Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is crafting still RNG?

kryori

I backed this at launch and played during very early testing, but soon gave up in frustration after the promise of "everything is crafted by players!" devolved into "all materials are commodities, all non-trivial crafts can fail utterly, and all primary classes are battle classes".  Crafting at that point was clearly a secondary pursuit.

Is crafting in Crowfall still nothing but a roll of the dice?  I was ready to chalk this up as $220 wasted on something I won't even download, but a friend says they got rid of the Eve-style passive progression, so... maybe crafting got rescued as well?

Crafting still has a random component but you can choose how much risk you want to take on after comparing your skills to the difficulty of the craft. If you play it at all conservatively there's no chance of a complete failure, and you can spend resources to improve bad rolls after you see them.

If you already own the game I'd suggest you install it and take the Test Server for a spin, where there are vendors with all the raw materials and as much free gold as you want to play around with the system and see if it suits you.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Crafting was (I always thought) supposed to be close to Starwars Galaxies style of crafting. SWG had the best Crafting in a mmo hands down. Crowfall took some of that and put their own twist on it. But it's still rng 

the stats seems to be based static, however, how you mix the resources will determine the stats.

after that the only RNG i know of is if you "Add Risk" which can increase/decrease the stats based on the risk succeeding or failing. it's optional!

There's a crafting guide in the crafting section.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Seems to me that success on the battlefield is going to be dependent on the gear score of the guilds involved.  The crafting system seems set up to require a substantial effort to produce anything superior to the stuff I can buy off the vendor in town or drop from the war tribes.  

This makes me wonder what the flow of the game is going to be like.  Are a bunch of people going to join thinking this is PVP and then immediately eject when they realize they have to put hundreds of hours into resourcing and crafting in order to be even minimally competitive on the battlefield?  Will dominance in crafting come down to a few uber guilds, and everybody else might as well just buy equipment off their vendors instead of bothering to have crafters of their own?  

Seems to me that this game is going to be pretty hostile to the "I want to jump in with a dozen of my friends, make a small guild, and go do meaningful stuff for our faction on the battlefield" players.  Or maybe I don't understand how crafting actually works - but I'm looking at how long it took me to harvest the mats to make ONE great axe head, shaft, and guard, and thinking "Hrm... how many of these must I make to get my crafting up to where I can surpass quality of what that vendor over there is selling?" and how many hours it took me to gather stacks of mats enough to craft the 12+ steps to go from ore to final assembly of my axe.  And it was a crap axe, lol.  Wooo, I don't think I want to be a crafter.

Now, what would be interesting is if there was a guild crafting vault.  When you put mats into the vault, you get tickets worth their gold value or some percentage of.  Then crafters can pull materials from the vault, create equipment and put it back in the vault.  You then return to the vault and cash in your tickets to purchase the crafted gear that you contributed materials to.  Now I don't need to trade directly with crafters, they can have a big materials bucket to draw from, and it's an in-guild economy.  Mats in, gear out, everybody happy, crafters go BRRRRRR.

Edited by alienpickle

Good gear can help but the most important component is still skill in a game like this (well, skill and a decent ping). Gear score and iLvl are an outmoded way of thinking when it comes to games not designed like WoW, and I think Crowfall is one of those games. The better gear can provide an edge but it doesn't guarantee victory. Tactics and coordination and player skill can crush a well-geared team.

The advantage to player-run economy will be that those who don't want to craft can farm gold pretty easily if they're with a group (solo play is not what this game is designed for), and then spend that gold in those trade venues where the better quality items are provided.

• 4 months later...

Spent a few days now trying to get a green discipline and no show to both skinning or logging, this is going to be too much of a grind fest and I'm not even sure I'm trying in the right areas, I have tried both the pvp areas and the safe zones. If this is crafting in the game I don't think I'll be coming back. I love crafting but not this hit or miss system just to upgrade.

7 minutes ago, Black.dove said:

Spent a few days now trying to get a green discipline and no show to both skinning or logging, this is going to be too much of a grind fest and I'm not even sure I'm trying in the right areas, I have tried both the pvp areas and the safe zones. If this is crafting in the game I don't think I'll be coming back. I love crafting but not this hit or miss system just to upgrade.

Are you maxing out your Plentiful Harvest stat?

44 minutes ago, Black.dove said:

A lot of people quit during that initial grind, because it's cancerous. A lot of guilds will straight up give you the disciplines to pass by that early stage so you don't have to deal with it - helps a lot with player retention so its in their best interest to fix this aspect of the game for ACE by helping people to skip it. I would really suggest going and farming for gold instead, and joining a guild who will give you some. If you can't find a guild like that for some reason, you can also post in the community discord to buy some, they shouldn't cost all that much. Once you get a purple discipline you can get a good tool and jump into dregs to drastically increase your discipline drop rate, and the amount of resources you get.

I would also suggest staying away from crafting at this stage of the game, the effort is ridiculous (over a million gold for full min/max which is what you need realistically, plus many thousands of resources) and the payout isn't really there anymore - as most guilds have dedicated crafters with top tier stats already. Just join a guild and get them to make you gear, while you focus on getting your harvesting skill up.

39 minutes ago, Solstar said:

Are you maxing out your Plentiful Harvest stat?

Silly question to ask someone who has a green disc mate.

However, you have a good point in that you want to try to max that out, as it for some silly reason increases your discipline drop rate, meaning that people who already have high skill levels get more disciplines at a speed a new player can only dream of - which is why they'll give it away to new players.

21 minutes ago, Cerberias said:

Silly question to ask someone who has a green disc mate.

Seems pretty pertinent. He may not be able to get all 5, but getting even 4 makes a big difference.

2 hours ago, Solstar said:

Seems pretty pertinent. He may not be able to get all 5, but getting even 4 makes a big difference.

Fair, I misread my bad, thought you meant he needed it at 5. Hate that it makes a difference though.