Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sin-Bearer - Brainstorming For An Anti-Cc Support Sub-Arch

Andius

So the confessor seems like a character that is evil but believes they are good based on their bio. I've kind of worked that into an idea for a support class for a character that trends toward evil while believing fully they are doing good.

The basic idea is that Sin Bearers support allies by taking their evil (in this case negative conditions and CC and bearing it themselves). This is a mixed bag for the Sin Bearer. While this hurts them it also empowers them. They view themselves as turning these evil powers for good, but the readiness at which they take to these powers and destruction they can cause with them suggest their souls are not as clean as they believe.

Core Mechanic

[burden] Mechanic- Certain abilities of the Sin Bearer store up burden charges which last for X seconds. Taking on a [burden] charge deals X damage to the Sin-Bearer and makes their support magic X% more expensive. It also increases their health regeneration by X and damage by X%. Some abilities spend burden points.

Example Actives

Shoulder Your Load- Removes up to two negative conditions from the target and gives one stack of [burden] for each condition removed.

Shield of Martyr - For X seconds X% or damage to target is redirected the the Martyr and reduced by X%. The Martyr receives a stack of [burden] for each X damage redirected this way.

I WILL NOT YIELD- All CC and debuffs on the sin-bearer are broken granting X [burden] per condition removed. An explosion of flame radiates out from them dealing X fire damage in a sphere with a radius of X meters from the player. All [burden] is consumed increasing damage by X per stack, extending the radius by X per stack, and healing the Sin-Bearer by X per stack.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

• 4 weeks later...

I do like the idea of this becoming a CC/debuff based class, and im sure through later character customization and disciplines this can be achieved.

Really great ideas, thanks for sharing.

"This is no place for the noble or young, born with the taste of blood on our tongues"

3 years SWTOR - 7 years LOTRO - Beta tester ESO - 4 years WoW - Beta tester RIFT

6TfiDku.gif

I really like this idea, but the promotion will have to make the character really high in health and resistance. I can already hear people saying, "Conf op, plz nerf"

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

I think the balance to this class is it would be utter trash in anything except large group PvP. It's based on removing a lot of debuffs and getting really powerful from it. Easy in a huge battle when you have allies all around you getting hit with debuffs, but in a smaller group there are less people to remove conditions from.

If there is an inquisitor promotion class I'll bet that would be the good one for solo and small group PvP.

I would argue that the Confessor appears at this stage to embody the "War Priest" idea. A anti-dichotomy that fuses RPG concepts of Mage and Cleric. Sort of if a Paladin dropped their sword and decided to start flinging cleansing fire.

I'd also argue against creating main archetypes and promotions that cater to group vs. solo play. Such rigid cast-typing was one of the failings of Shadowbane's class system.

A lot of games fall into the trap of making classes try to be too universally useful, often leading to certain classes becoming overpowered in a huge array of situations. When you intentionally balance them for being best at more specific roles then balancing is easier and tactics are more interesting.

A lot of games fall into the trap of making classes try to be too universally useful, often leading to certain classes becoming overpowered in a huge array of situations. When you intentionally balance them for being best at more specific roles then balancing is easier and tactics are more interesting.

They can't make classes too specific though. You don't want to have to be in a group every time you get on. Sometimes you just want to go off by yourself and work on something. The devs walk a fine line.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

Specific strengths doesn't necessarily mean where you fit into a party (though it can).

So lets say there is a melee DPS spec for both champions and centaurs. Champions do more damage and have more defense. Centaurs move faster.

Both fill the exact same role in a party. But the champion will likely be better in large battles and as a caravan guard, while the centaur will be far better for raiding parties. 

There is going to be a need for all classes to be able to solo from time to time but I'm guessing solo play will look different for every class. Some will be out hunting down other players. Some will be be gathering resources and crafting inside or near the village. Some will be tunneling and exploring below ground.

Remember to maximize profits they need to sell you on either 15$ a month for 3 characters or multiple accounts. If you can get the complete experience with a single character that hurts their revenue model.

Edited by Andius

@Andius

Great idea for a promotion/sub-archtype. Forgot what the specialization is called right now lol. Reading that some may feel this would lock in a specific play style I hunk missed that you stated this is a "support" build. Thus it would be fat more effective in group play rather than 1v1.

This being all about speculation it's going to be fun. Especially with 12 archetypes and 36 promotions! I personally start with 5 slots and know what 3 of them will be. Confessor obviously one of them :)

• 2 years later...

I really enjoy the idea of allowing the confessor to spec into a support role. I feel like the major failing of most MMOs is that they tend to hard cap a class' potential outside of their main role. WoW was at one point the most guilty of this, nerfing Mage's utility and frost spec due to the fact that they were being used as off tanks and for utility purposes.

WoW has moved away from that now (kinda), but I would like it if Crowfall did not fall into that trap.

However, the opposing side does have a point in that every character shouldn't be amazing at everything, however, I don't see this as Confessor taking over every role, but does allow them to spec into a sort of off support in the party. They would do less damage than a damage spec confessor (probably even a lot less), and wouldn't be able to heal like a true support, but it does counter THE most annoying build comp in any MMO, the lockdown build. If anyone has ever played GW2, they would remember old CancerMancer, which could perma frost and perma poison you, meaning that you were always slowed, your cooldowns took forever to come back up, and your healing was cut by a third. This combination effectively menat that no matter what you did, CancerMancer would always out 1v1 you, and in group PvP, they could effectively remove the healing from an enemy tank, reducing their tanking ability significantly.

Supposing that an archetype or promotion exists that is anywhere even near a lockdown spec, people will certainly gravitate towards it since it feels GOOD to have control over another character like that (blue players in Magic know what I mean). This class would definitely prevent lockdown groups from ever being too dominant, while also forcing your group to sacrifice dps or extra healing or extra tankiness in return for POSSIBLY countering an enemy group. It does have some risk attached to it, so long as the Sin-Bearer isntsuper overtuned.