Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anthrage

Wow. (Not Wow) Archetype/discipline-Restricted Campaign Worlds

From this MMORPG Interview with Laguna:

"Everyone plays in the same Campaigns. Campaigns have custom rulesets. Some of those Campaigns may be Archetype exclusive, for example “Centaurs only” or require the characters to have specific Discipline runestones like Vampyre or Werewolf. The more popular a particular ruleset is, the more Campaigns we’ll make with those rules."

Damn.

Edited by Anthrage

they're gonna end up like all the Battlefield servers with the special rulesets... empty

commendable that they're trying for such a variety, but I just can't see it working. In the end the players gravitate towards the vanilla version of the game.

They should try and make that version as best and balanced as they can instead of trying to please minorities in an already small community.

Yeah I largely agree. The only way I can see that being viable is if these extreme ruleset campaigns were very short, like a week in duration. Something doesn't seem quite right about this whole thing from a server resource standpoint also...an EK for every single player? I know data storage, processing speed and bandwith are all vastly improved these days, but I can't help but thinking something is off here.

they're gonna end up like all the Battlefield servers with the special rulesets... empty

commendable that they're trying for such a variety, but I just can't see it working. In the end the players gravitate towards the vanilla version of the game.

They should try and make that version as best and balanced as they can instead of trying to please minorities in an already small community.

I don't think so, the Lore Server (Vindication) on Shadowbane was really popular, and that had race / class restrictions.

Yeah, you just took pre-existing race/class combinations and segregated based on lore. You didn't have a campaign just for Dwarf prelates.

Imagine a campaign for just scouts? LMAO Longest and lamest campaign ever.

I don't think so, the Lore Server (Vindication) on Shadowbane was really popular, and that had race / class restrictions.

It was so unpopular they did it again (Seadron).

SB lore servers were a poorly made socks ton of fun and created all sorts of creative specs.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

ya, but when Vindication was released this was something completely new.

the time before that the servers were really stagnant and mostly empty. I didn't even play at that time. Damnation was closed down.

ya, Vindication made me come back... same for many others. But we all came together on that 1 server.

They're planning to make multiple of these different ruleset campaigns and imo they're just frittering

ya, but when Vindication was released this was something completely new.

the time before that the servers were really stagnant and mostly empty. I didn't even play at that time. Damnation was closed down.

ya, Vindication made me come back... same for many others. But we all came together on that 1 server.

They're planning to make multiple of these different ruleset campaigns and imo they're just frittering

The worlds are procedurally generated. All they have to do is flip the switches to determine the rules they wish followed. Once the campaign is over, they re-generate a random world, flip a few flags, and they're done. It's really a pretty ingenious way to resolve the cost of development. They can experiment with anything - and if the consumers demand a campaign type, they just spin it up and see how it goes.

Edited by vandarr

CF_Van.png

The worlds are procedurally generated. All they have to do is flip the switches to determine the rules they wish followed. Once the campaign is over, they re-generate a random world, flip a few flags, and they're done. It's really a pretty ingenious way to resolve the cost of development. They can experiment with anything - and if the consumers demand a campaign type, they just spin it up and see how it goes.

yes, I understand that

what I'm saying is that less is sometimes more

it will be interesting to see how it is handled - too many campaigns, and they will be deserted, and especially the different lengths of campaigns.  It all sounds very cool, but if you split up the player base too much, or have too many shineys to explore, then even individual guilds will have a tough time getting people all interested in a single campaign.

CF_Hap.png

SCOTLAND!

yes, I understand that

what I'm saying is that less is sometimes more

I get that, but if you have 1-2 odd campaigns running simultaneously, it won't kill off everything else - unless those ideas are so awesome, it's what everyone else should be playing anyway.

CF_Van.png

Keep in mind that they are absolutely planning on 'more' to become 'less' over time, as a large number of rulesets and gametypes are narrowed down to the smaller number that work and which people like. They only plan to run what is populated, so it should pretty much take care of itself.

Edited by Anthrage

I get that, but if you have 1-2 odd campaigns running simultaneously, it won't kill off everything else - unless those ideas are so awesome, it's what everyone else should be playing anyway.

Keep in mind that they are absolutely planning on 'more' to become 'less' over time, as a large number of rulesets and gametypes are narrowed down to the smaller number that work and which people like. They only plan to run what is populated, so it should pretty much take care of itself.

Here's the problem in my mind:

- people think there will be a campaign for exactly their needs. Exactly what they always hoped for and it's going to be glorious.

but that is not going to be the case. It seems like the "there's going to be a campaign for that" excuse is very prevalent atm on this forum.

But then we'd be reaching campaign numbers, in which the populations will probably be 200 people.

This just invites disappointment. Look at the "Only dregs for release?!?!?! whinewhine" threads.

- the truth is, that people don't know what they want. they want to be told what they want. look at all the hype that's being generated when a new asian MMO is being localized. "OMG THIS is going to be the game, look what they all promise us!" and people believe that this is exactly what they want, when in actuality it's the same poorly made socks with a slightly different boob jiggle animation.

Or all the threads about perma-death. People say they want it, until they realize that they actually don't.

well, what I'm saying is, that people shouldn't get carried away by the fact that there can be different types of campaigns.

Edited by freeze

This.  Everybody wants perma-death until they get ganked. 

That said, campaigns with odd-ball restrictions and goals could also be good for a change-of-pace, which is what a number of folks I knew used Vindi for.  I'd be surprised if much of an investment in developing those types of campaigns was made until the major vanilla stuff was all hammered out, and I doubt there'll be much investment in those ideas if they try a couple and only get crickets back after a couple of tries.

Er, what's "edging"?

well im sure the more specialized campaigns will be shorter. Either way the variety is good. What works they keep. what doesnt they dont. They can also mod server up times depending on interest spikes.

Ill bet my bottom dollar server ups will see the highest populations for that servers life- like in sb.

ezgzn8.jpg