Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so ... centaur rangers.

Wanini

"Archer cavalry OP pls nerf" -the entire 13th century world facing Mongol invasion

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

19 hours ago, Wanini said:

Just curious as to why one of the more famous archer race can't be a ranger.

because crowfall centaurs aren't hippies

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

IRL references aside, the only significant change to races is hitbox and racials. They all move the same speed. They all jump the same height. Gear is scaled to size. 

8 minutes ago, Wanini said:

IRL references aside, the only significant change to races is hitbox and racials. They all move the same speed. They all jump the same height. Gear is scaled to size. 

They all actually have the same hitbox, and some races can double jump, and they do not all move the  same speed. open your character page and mouse over your racial disc.

Edited by PopeUrban

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

Where does it say move speed? Can you take a screen shot? The stat window only shows "100%" but doesn't actually show the move speed number.

@hitbox
I stand corrected, but that is just another point for centaur rangers.

@double jump
But the base jump is still the same. I used the 1st time you encounter thralls in the NPE to test. When you go to talk to the "minotaur ghost", I always jump over the building's foundation, because it is just about max jump height. 

Edited by Wanini

On 7/10/2021 at 4:31 AM, Wanini said:

Where does it say move speed? Can you take a screen shot? The stat window only shows "100%" but doesn't actually show the move speed number.

@hitbox
I stand corrected, but that is just another point for centaur rangers.

@double jump
But the base jump is still the same. I used the 1st time you encounter thralls in the NPE to test. When you go to talk to the "minotaur ghost", I always jump over the building's foundation, because it is just about max jump height. 

Some races have an out of combat speed bonus, and other buffs such as Friendly Territory will also give you a version of these buffs. Out of combat speed kicks in after combat at the end of the pathfinding cooldown (you will see a buff called "pathfinding" when exiting combat, and any applicable out of combat speed buffs with replace it when it expires) Go to your character sheet, disciplines page, and mouse over the race rune at the top to see the effects of your race, or, if you'd like to browse the effects of all races, open the new character window and hover over the races there until the list of racial bonuses appears.

You can also check what any buff currently applied to you does by hovering over those buffs with the mouse cursor when in inventory mode.

I'm talking about the base unbuffed stats of a race which I can only assume are all the same making racials the only difference between races. At that point there aren't any actual reasons for "centaur archer OP". Elkens have both trailmaster and a 20m charge in addition to their 2 10m dive roll so the point for move speed making "centaur archer OP" is moot.

All that however is beside the point. I raised this question because the centaur is a FAMOUS archer race in mythology.

On 7/11/2021 at 6:21 PM, Wanini said:

I'm talking about the base unbuffed stats of a race which I can only assume are all the same making racials the only difference between races. At that point there aren't any actual reasons for "centaur archer OP". Elkens have both trailmaster and a 20m charge in addition to their 2 10m dive roll so the point for move speed making "centaur archer OP" is moot.

All that however is beside the point. I raised this question because the centaur is a FAMOUS archer race in mythology.

stats and disc selection are also important racial balancing factors. In addition, crowfall's centaurs, lorewise are not whatever other centaur from mythology. They're brawny brawler types. Humans use guns and are a famous race for using guns, yet only guinecians can be duelists in crowfall. There are no centaur rangers because there are no centaur rangers, it ain't that deep.

19 minutes ago, Wanini said:

And yet they can be clerics whos primary stat is int.

Clerics are the "bro healer" with the big shield and hammer avaliable to the martial/brawler races in contrast to the "magey healers" avaliable to the fae and elf races. Centaurs clerics still benefit from significantly better martial stats than int or spr focused elves.

Clerics also avaliable on humans (versatile class choices because humans versatility is their whole thing)
Guinecians (High tech/metalworking race)
Half giants (Brawny brawler race)
Stoneborn (Brawny Brawler race)

They're not avaliable to Minotaurs, who CAN be rangers as a "wild" race despite minos being quite brawny as they're good at hippie stuff and bad at magic stuff. This is, again, for lore reasons as well as balance reasons as minos represent a successful slave rebeliion that then provided for itself in the wilderness.

Again, centaurs in crowfall specifically occupy a very specific lore and aesthetic position of heavily martial empire builders. That's also why they aren't assassins, nor druids. They aren't forest creature archetypes in crowfall and stand in stark opposition to that sort of society. They're a regimented holy roman empire inspired society with an NPC breakaway clan that are basically just scottish berserkers.

This is not a hard concept. The lore and gameplay work together the way they do by design, and CF's vision of the centaur is deliberately very much not the traditional stereotype of the centaur in appearance or gameplay.

TLDR: Crowfall centaurs aren't hippies

Edited by PopeUrban

8 hours ago, threash said:

Neither are centaurs. This centaurs are based on rome, not fantasy.

Based on Rome, whose myths of centaurs followed on the Greek, so more or less fantasy based any way you look at it.  And Rome did use archers, many of them mounted.  So...I'd say its time for some centaur rangers.

PFq3vWQ.png

On 7/25/2021 at 12:11 AM, Alyriel said:

Based on Rome, whose myths of centaurs followed on the Greek, so more or less fantasy based any way you look at it.  And Rome did use archers, many of them mounted.  So...I'd say its time for some centaur rangers.

They are not based on roman mythological centaurs, they are centaurs that are roman. Not quite the same :P

13 hours ago, threash said:

They are not based on roman mythological centaurs, they are centaurs that are roman. Not quite the same :P

I think I have to say neigh to that argument.  😛

I don't recall Livy or Suetonius having much to say about centaurs.  So what CF is trying to do is take the mythical idea of centaurs and transplant them into the historical setting of ancient Rome.  But the centaurs will not so easily give up their mythic baggage.  

I found this quote on an old Crowfall wiki.  I think it is the original story text given to the Legionnaire archetype:

"My name is Gaius Aurelius. I was bred to be a warrior, and I did not disappoint.  My chosen weapons are axe, lance, bow and blade. I am the ninth in my family to be chosen as a member of the Red Brigade. This proves our superior breeding."

So...bow and blade.   That's a ranger right there.   

At least its not talking about traps.  Nerf cent wardens, before they even exist!

Side note, on the subject of Archetypes early abandoned - I want my Stalker!

PFq3vWQ.png

8 minutes ago, Alyriel said:

I think I have to say neigh to that argument.  😛

Is this what you want?!?! IS THS WHAT YOU WANT?!?!   The natural evolution once we go down this hippy path.

hippycentaurCF.gif

On 7/27/2021 at 11:23 PM, Alyriel said:

Side note, on the subject of Archetypes early abandoned - I want my Stalker!

Elken brigand with bow majors and hunter does basically what stalker was supposed to.