Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First 5 hours are the worst experience I've had in any MMO

Lirezh

It begins with technical troubles, a 3090 only pushing 30 fps in open world is not great fun.

I suffer through 6 hours of the most boring quests you can imagine, it's basically 99% running. Not one fight from level 1 to 30 that was slightly challenging.

Then my first death, I press F as it's suggested on the screen and 50% of my gold is vanished. No warning, no information. Just gone without a log entry.
I go to another area, and out of nowhere a "raid boss" teleports on me and one-hits me. Now I lost 100% of my gold.
I was supposed to not take gold with me, I guess. It probably was mentioned in one of the 1000 lines no one is reading because each quest was worthlessly boring.
Also nothing of my loss is noted in the chat windows anywhere, it's just gone.

I try to go back 2 times, each time a "raid boss" teleports on me and kills me in one hit (ulti did not help).
The inventory on top shows that all my gear is mostly gone from being one-hit killed by a strong enemy. 

So there you go, 2 days of suffering through unimaginable boring quests, losing all your gold and your equipment on a teleporting boss in 5 minutes.

And to give a final "we don't care" the entire forum is locked for new customers. you can only post "welcome".
I guess because almost everyone is having a similar experience.

Edited by Lirezh

3090 only pushing 30 fps

Is your whole rig new? Or maybe you have a nice card but an old CPU that is causing a bottleneck? I have not experienced < 60 fps and am playing with a 2080ti. Not sure what might be causing this for you.

suffer through 6 hours of the most boring quests you can imagine,

Its a tutorial. Its an introduction to the rest of the game. I hated it too and hope that it doesn't turn people away from the game.

Then my first death, I press F as it's suggested on the screen and 50% of my gold is vanished. No warning, no information. Just gone without a log entry.

This only happens when you enter the wildlands (shortly after you do the 'capture the outpost' quest), and I felt that they made it very clear that it was dangerous. I skipped through most of the tutorial text as well, but when I saw something highlighted in yellow I at least stopped to read a line or two, and this was clear to me.

losing all your gold and your equipment

Advice here to recoup is to kill some wartribe guys for basic gear. Some of it might even be better than what you started with. The money that you earn killing wartribes or fighting in the wildlands is also much better than anything in levels 1-28, so I'm sure you can get to where you were with little effort. I also highly advise joining an active guild if you haven't already. Having a group to play with is much safer and in the regions where you lose 50% of gold or 100% of everything, it can be good to have some people who have your back.

Hope this helps and you have a better experience soon.

The tutorial is such garbage, it's unbelievable.  It mostly doesn't even teach you anything, the entire sun temple area could have been pack pigs -> make ring -> grind to level 17 to continue, and it would have been faster more enjoyable, and more representative of the actual game

5 hours ago, Lirezh said:

It begins with technical troubles, a 3090 only pushing 30 fps in open world is not great fun.

I suffer through 6 hours of the most boring quests you can imagine, it's basically 99% running. Not one fight from level 1 to 30 that was slightly challenging.

Then my first death, I press F as it's suggested on the screen and 50% of my gold is vanished. No warning, no information. Just gone without a log entry.
I go to another area, and out of nowhere a "raid boss" teleports on me and one-hits me. Now I lost 100% of my gold.
I was supposed to not take gold with me, I guess. It probably was mentioned in one of the 1000 lines no one is reading because each quest was worthlessly boring.

I try to go back 2 times, each time a "raid boss" teleports on me and kills me in one hit (ulti did not help).
The inventory on top shows that all my gear is mostly gone from being one-hit killed by a strong enemy. 

So there you go, 2 days of suffering through unimaginable boring quests, losing all your gold and your equipment on a teleporting boss in 5 minutes.

And to give a final "we don't care" the entire forum is locked for new customers. you can only post "welcome".

I have to agree, these BS heralds that can basically 1 shot you and the really lack luster rest of the game = no thanks.  I am done.

4 hours ago, Raimen said:

Is your whole rig new? Or maybe you have a nice card but an old CPU that is causing a bottleneck? I have not experienced < 60 fps and am playing with a 2080ti. Not sure what might be causing this for you.

Its a tutorial. Its an introduction to the rest of the game. I hated it too and hope that it doesn't turn people away from the game.

This only happens when you enter the wildlands (shortly after you do the 'capture the outpost' quest), and I felt that they made it very clear that it was dangerous. I skipped through most of the tutorial text as well, but when I saw something highlighted in yellow I at least stopped to read a line or two, and this was clear to me.

Advice here to recoup is to kill some wartribe guys for basic gear. Some of it might even be better than what you started with. The money that you earn killing wartribes or fighting in the wildlands is also much better than anything in levels 1-28, so I'm sure you can get to where you were with little effort. I also highly advise joining an active guild if you haven't already. Having a group to play with is much safer and in the regions where you lose 50% of gold or 100% of everything, it can be good to have some people who have your back.

Hope this helps and you have a better experience soon.

CPU shows as 60-70% idle in performance monitor, it's a I7-6850k. RAM has 24gb free.
I tried closing any background apps, didn't matter. I tried min and max graphic settings, no change.

Regarding Tutorial: 95% of it is not a tutorial. Of those 6 hours I spent at least 4:30 hours running between quest markers "talking" to NPCs.
It looks like they made that so it looks like a usual MMO but it has nothing of the PVE experience of an MMO. It was very very boring for all of us.

I was so used to skipping quest texts (I guess I skipped 3-4 hours of reading tasks you don't need to read) that I also skipped that warning.

@Drelkag Well I can only post here. In the "welcome" area which is typically the forum spam area.
I can not make a post in "support" or "gameplay" or anywhere else.

3 hours ago, Lirezh said:

CPU shows as 60-70% idle in performance monitor, it's a I7-6850k. RAM has 24gb free.
I tried closing any background apps, didn't matter. I tried min and max graphic settings, no change.

Regarding Tutorial: 95% of it is not a tutorial. Of those 6 hours I spent at least 4:30 hours running between quest markers "talking" to NPCs.
It looks like they made that so it looks like a usual MMO but it has nothing of the PVE experience of an MMO. It was very very boring for all of us.

I was so used to skipping quest texts (I guess I skipped 3-4 hours of reading tasks you don't need to read) that I also skipped that warning.

@Drelkag Well I can only post here. In the "welcome" area which is typically the forum spam area.
I can not make a post in "support" or "gameplay" or anywhere else.

Have you seen my guide by any chance? This does sound like your Windows installation might have some corrupt files. Might also be the case with Visual C++ Redistributables (2015) as well.

The loss of gold is where I get really upset.   Gold is a very important factor in this game because everything is expensive here.    Can we remove the excessive gold loss and have it less?   I'm good at 25% gold loss, but to have half or all your gold gone just puts a bad taste in my mouth that I'm kind of close to quitting this game.

6 hours ago, Covergirl925 said:

The loss of gold is where I get really upset.   Gold is a very important factor in this game because everything is expensive here.    Can we remove the excessive gold loss and have it less?   I'm good at 25% gold loss, but to have half or all your gold gone just puts a bad taste in my mouth that I'm kind of close to quitting this game.

I'm fine with losing gold actually, I mean if you know what you will lose it's ok.
You can always put your gold into the bank after all, so controlling the respawn points is essential for comfortable play.

What I am not fine with is the lack of information, to not make that very obvious to everyone. It should be a RED hint on top left whenever you are in such a zone with losses (that you can disable). 

13 hours ago, Lirezh said:

I'm fine with losing gold actually, I mean if you know what you will lose it's ok.
You can always put your gold into the bank after all, so controlling the respawn points is essential for comfortable play.

What I am not fine with is the lack of information, to not make that very obvious to everyone. It should be a RED hint on top left whenever you are in such a zone with losses (that you can disable). 

I agree with more hints, tooltips, and all that being introduced to the game to improve on the User Experience and refine the User Interface. It's needed in many areas, and I'm pretty sure we'll get a really nice UI in time.

On 7/9/2021 at 1:14 PM, Lirezh said:

Very true. 

KS Amber

On 7/9/2021 at 6:14 PM, Lirezh said:

Let me get this straight.  It somehow took you 6 hours to do the New Player Experience and yet you did not read anything in it?  Literally everything you complain about is told to you and shown to you in NPE.

On 7/9/2021 at 9:15 PM, Raimen said:

It wasn't so clear for me, too. Last time I played, we had God's Reach (PvE), Infected (PvP without looting) and Campaigns (inventory loot). Now in the tutorial I got the quest "kill 10 players" in what was God's Reach before and a small countdown went from 60 to zero. Because I had no clue what ruleset would be applied, I ported back to bank my stuff. When I was back at the quest giver, I didn't get another cooldown or any other sign that there would be PvP ahead. And there wasn't. Weird. Also, what's Wildlands"? Should I have read the quest texts?

2 hours ago, Despoiler said:

Let me get this straight.  It somehow took you 6 hours to do the New Player Experience and yet you did not read anything in it?  Literally everything you complain about is told to you and shown to you in NPE.

It would have been 10 hours then.
You likely never did those quests or your "question" would have been obsolete.

There are probably a hundred tasks in sequence. Roughly 60 of them are "run 250meters, speak to A" "run 150m speak to B"
The other 40 are "Kill 3-8 level 1-5 animals of that type, then run 150m and speak to C"
In addition there are like 15 quests  "make one axe out of 3 wood" (hours after you made that axe already) or "speak to A, B, C and D -> receive 1 item -> sacrifice it -> speak to E F"

Of those 6 hours, roughly 5 hours are walking, 1 hour is doing a task which is so simple and easy it does not give you any challenge.

26 minutes ago, Lirezh said:

It would have been 10 hours then.
You likely never did those quests or your "question" would have been obsolete.

There are probably a hundred tasks in sequence. Roughly 60 of them are "run 250meters, speak to A" "run 150m speak to B"
The other 40 are "Kill 3-8 level 1-5 animals of that type, then run 150m and speak to C"
In addition there are like 15 quests  "make one axe out of 3 wood" (hours after you made that axe already) or "speak to A, B, C and D -> receive 1 item -> sacrifice it -> speak to E F"

Of those 6 hours, roughly 5 hours are walking, 1 hour is doing a task which is so simple and easy it does not give you any challenge.

I've done all of the quests.  My question was obviously rhetorical.

5 hours of walking when you are given a horse as part of the NPE?  Are you trolling?  The whole point of NPE is to show you how the game systems work whilst easily leveling you to 30.  If you click through all of it without reading or understanding it then that is on you.  It's not the game's fault. 

FYI, it only takes a few hours to do the whole NPE loop and you can skip it if you want.  It also is not hours after you create an axe to get given a quest to make the axe.  It's right after you are told to make your first tool.  You decided to make all of your tools right then, which is fine, but it only takes a second to craft another for the quest.  It hardly delays you and you need multiple tools anyways due to durability.  

20 minutes ago, Despoiler said:

I've done all of the quests.  My question was obviously rhetorical.

5 hours of walking when you are given a horse as part of the NPE?  Are you trolling?  The whole point of NPE is to show you how the game systems work whilst easily leveling you to 30.  If you click through all of it without reading or understanding it then that is on you.  It's not the game's fault. 

FYI, it only takes a few hours to do the whole NPE loop and you can skip it if you want.  It also is not hours after you create an axe to get given a quest to make the axe.  It's right after you are told to make your first tool.  You decided to make all of your tools right then, which is fine, but it only takes a second to craft another for the quest.  It hardly delays you and you need multiple tools anyways due to durability.  

I'm sure you'll always find some outliners who enjoy something most people would describe as awful experience.
Let's settle that we have extremely different views on the quality of an experience.

On 7/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, canvox said:

The tutorial is such garbage, it's unbelievable.  It mostly doesn't even teach you anything, the entire sun temple area could have been pack pigs -> make ring -> grind to level 17 to continue, and it would have been faster more enjoyable, and more representative of the actual game

No way. Utter non-sense here. The NPE, or new player experience tutorial is solid. I do wish the tutorial would have had some voice acting though, it's 2021...

NPE is not over on the losing gold from a oneshots. Next it will be getting killed by a group of pplz. Next it will be the question: "what should I do". To be honest, such pvp games is not a mass product. etc etc

NPE does not exist in this game aswell as the solo experience (still full of pain but possible solo if you KNEW something about this game)

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: rangefall

Discord makkon#8550

The tutorial isn't awful, you do need to read it though and it was clear to me that people running it when I was on day 1 were skipping the text as they were there and off again straight away.

However, I do think that the presence of Raid Boss level mobs in the Arborium is just nonsense.  I don't mind losing half mym gold to some PvP but when I am listening to music and farming away and he is hidden behind a structure and I just drop dead leaving 3k on the floor that REALLY sucks.  Group boss level is fine as groups are more regular but Raids? Really?  It just creates dead spots on the map because most of the time no-one can go near them.  This should be changed.

• Lirezh changed the title to First 5 hours are the worst experience I've had in any MMO