Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why ranged combat isnt great

anub

So, I've gotta say the ranger ranged combat is the most unsatisfactory experience I've had in video game in years. Problems I see

- zoom in - having half of my focus area covered by my character -> not fun - either hide the character, or move it way to the side, so I can actually see what Im shooting at.

- auto aim - focusing on a target is kinda hard if another npc/player overlaps him by a pixel, the hitbox auto aim kicks in, and I am basically unable to shoot at more distant target even with good line of sight

- draw distance - not sure if this is a game mechanic or not, but it's hard to use the 60+ range on auto attack if the game wont render the target (note: note sure if this is issue on my end, let me know)

I know it's hard to make ranged combat in this type of 3rd person game - maybe consider 1st person mode for people that want to "snipe"?

Anyway, kinda feels odd that this wasnt addressed in alfa/beta. Maybe I am too spoiled.

Edited by anub

• anub changed the title to Why ranged combat isnt great

Zoom in yes that's really 😕

annoying. 

The aiming, mate thats what do ranged interesting and a skill based class. 

Dmg is high u have a lot of special skills against melee so it must be skill based. 

Rendering I'm with you but not sure sometimes I see the ppl hat 60 meters and I think sometimes not above 40 meters. But I'm not sure guys. 

They could make bow combat feel 10x better near instantly by just changing a few things that are very easy to change.

1. Make max camera distance much larger so you can zoom out more instead of feeling claustrophobic.
2. Stop auto-zooming when you aim with the bows.
3. Adjust the crosshair placement so you don't constantly have to have your camera level with the ground to aim straight ahead. It's really bad for smaller races.
4. Remove the slow-down of movement speed that happens when you enter combat(this should be removed for ALL classes, by the way).
5. Give us the ability to move the UI elements around. It would be SO much nicer if you could move the target frame next to your crosshair(this goes for ALL classes).
6. Fix the arrow consumption of certain spells. For example the Rapid Fire spell consumes 8-9 arrows, while something like Volley only consumes 1. Make all spells use 1.
7. Make the movement speed part of the Trick Shots talent baseline and change that talent into something else.
8. Change the Archer talent to enable you to throw traps. Not sure what the exact distance should be.

But knowing Artcraft they probably won't make any of these changes, despite them being super easy to change, sadly.

IHaKjRO.png

"Crowfall's evolution has been interesting: when we started, the game leaned much more heavily on survival mechanics. over time we added more and more strategy and pulled the survival mechanics. by launch, we'll be the most strategic virtual universe (IMO surpassing Eve Online)" - J. Todd Coleman, January 5th 2020

You can adjust the way the camera works in the options. It doesnt completely remove the zoom, but you can set it to Always Ranged, or Always Melee.

Edited by Tirael

On 7/10/2021 at 9:39 AM, anub said:

- auto aim - focusing on a target is kinda hard if another npc/player overlaps him by a pixel, the hitbox auto aim kicks in, and I am basically unable to shoot at more distant target even with good line of sight

That's kind of the point I think to make it more challenging 

On 7/10/2021 at 9:39 AM, anub said:

- draw distance - not sure if this is a game mechanic or not, but it's hard to use the 60+ range on auto attack if the game wont render the target (note: note sure if this is issue on my end, let me know)

Try increasing your far-sight stat through gear/talents/etc?

With decent far-sight and range cap, playing as an archer is pretty fun. The zoom takes a few tries to get used to but it's part of the challenge.