Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Discussion] Eternal Kingdoms & Titles

Averion

Hello there!

As some of you might have known, a title system was teased back when the first packages were around, and it's also present on the main page. I'd like to open up a discussion regarding this small upcoming piece of content so that we can piece up what we know since the beginning of development, and possibly provide feedback for the team. Be noted that as of current, the titles are not present on launch.

From what I know, the titles are related to Eternal Kingdoms and I know of the following ones existing: Knight, Baron, Count, Duke, Archduke (and possibly more). They're not going to be exclusive to any earlier pledge package, despite being part of these, and supposedly are possible to be obtained via developing the Eternal Kingdoms. The chart on the main page shows that a monarch can assign various titles to his/her vassals, and they can do so from the pool of their accumulated titles.

That makes me wonder how it'll work and it sounds like how it was back in the medieval times - an older version of what we currently have around and know as companies/corporations. Perhaps these titles will have certain permissions related to the Eternal Kingdom management and trade? Who knows. This opens up a possibility of extended land management amongst the vassals, and would provide something which barely any game featuring housing has - intricate permissions to operate the land.

As a side topic, and this is purely semantics & a roleplaying perspective (as this is an MMORPG), I wonder why it's called Eternal Kingdoms when the vast majority of the people won't be holding the title of a King. Wouldn't it be more fitting to call this feature as Eternal Realms, or Eternal Lands? In my opinion that would sound more accurate by definition, as I think it's weird for a Kingdom to be ruled by, say, a Baron or a Knight.

Edited by Averion
Added some extra capitalisation for more readability.

5 hours ago, Averion said:

Wouldn't it be more fitting to call this feature as Eternal Realms, or Eternal Lands? In my opinion that would sound more accurate by definition, as I think it's weird for a Kingdom to be ruled by, say, a Baron or a Knight.

My home is my castle! I'm the king of my bin! ;) I'm fine with Eternal Kingdoms, and it's a term used for more than 6 years now. Doesn't really make sense to change it now.

5 hours ago, Averion said:

That makes me wonder how it'll work and it sounds like how it was back in the medieval times - an older version of what we currently have around and know as companies/corporations. Perhaps these titles will have certain permissions related to the Eternal Kingdom management and trade? Who knows. This opens up a possibility of extended land management amongst the vassals, and would provide something which barely any game featuring housing has - intricate permissions to operate the land.

The original plan was this hierarchy to be the base of landowner rights and income. The king would assign a certain amount of land (cells) to the noble, who then could divide it further by granting parts to others. The higher rank could do (and overwrite) everything the lower ranks could do, and the lower ranks would pay taxes to the higher ranks. This system also included vassals (with the right to place buildings) and tennants (who could use the building and the object within).

Back then the EK's were massively larger than they are currently, though. This is one of the first kingdoms i built. Each of the smaller 1x1 parcels has the size of 2x2 todays cells (256x256m).

n2CPjyT.jpg

With this size an EK hierarchy would be useful, since it's quite a lot of land that needs to be organized. In my personal opinion, the current EK sizes are too small for the titles.

What I could imagine, though, is that EK's could be upgraded in the future, to be up to four times their current size. In a base EK (or owning the equivalent size in someone elses EK) you could be a duke. With one upgrade (1x2 base size) you could be archduke, and with a fully upgraded rank 3 (4x4 base size) you could be a king. A count needs to own half a base-size, a baron a quarter. A knight needs to own at least a town and keep. A vassal needs to own a building. Tennants would be allowed to use buildings.

It would be cool to have something like that. And I, sure as hell, want to have my title! :D But yeah, we'll see. ;)

16 hours ago, Kraahk said:

It would be cool to have something like that. And I, sure as hell, want to have my title! :D But yeah, we'll see. ;)

Regardless of the title we have, deep down we all know it's the more-or-less humble barons that are doing all the work (of extorting taxes from the populace) for the upper nobility. 😝

16 hours ago, Kraahk said:

My home is my castle! I'm the king of my bin! ;) I'm fine with Eternal Kingdoms, and it's a term used for more than 6 years now. Doesn't really make sense to change it now.

I suppose that's true if a term sticks for a longer amount of time - people are getting used to it. Like I said, it's just pure semantics, as I'm both a worldbuilding creator and a roleplayer and these things tend to stand out a lot for me. 🙂