Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So... How Do You Win The Dregs?

Berinima

Well, basically the title already says it all... I am not really sure if I actually understand the main concept behind the Dregs. Since it is totally open PvP, how does one win the campaign? I mean, it can't be only one player to get a reward in the end, right? Because that would make a three month investment into a campaign not very entertaining for 99% of the population. Also since it's all about territorial control and I can't control territory all by myself there must be a way to form teams in one way or another. But then again, how does this differ from a Guild versus Guild rule set?

And another thing I don't get... This rises the question how the game mechanics will handle the fact that there is this one guild that will just dominate every campaign they join. The devs have this funny little video with Uncle Bob who is dominating the Risk game after ten years and therefore the game needs a reset. But this reset doesn't handle these "Uncle Bob" Guilds that just dominate by numbers even after a reset. Three or (even 12) faction worlds can be balanced in theory for example by population locks or minority buffs but how would you try to do that in GvG or the Dregs? You probably can't or don't even want to but I actually don't get the game design here. Especially because the Dregs are all we are getting at first I'd really like to have some answers before I can decide how much I can invest into this game.

Maybe this has been addressed somewhere already but I couldn't find anything.

"Kansas City Shuffle - When everybody looks right, you go left."

Each campaign should have different win conditions. Dregs is most likely going to have some very brutal ones. I won't go so far as to say it will last until there's one survivor, but killing 75% of the players in the campaign sounds about right.

Keep in mind this is speculation. 

My understanding is that it essentially works like the Guild vs Guild realm, only with friendly fire on, so that people have to be careful where they aim and move or they'll hurt their own team.  I also understand that the larger a group is, some sort of hunger/feeding mechanic will make it harder to sustain larger numbers at the same time, thus crippling zergs and allowing only well-organized large teams to deal with the issue.

Yeah they don't need to make win conditions by owning territory.  First to obtain the holy grail from boss X (aka one victor still even with a team), first to summon an army of orcs and a ring to rule them all to conquer the land...

The guild vs guild world could impose limits on how many players can join per guild to make it fair...of course players will circumvent this and create secondary guilds to join and aid the cause.  There will always be cheating in some form or another, the game can only limit so much to try to do what they are aiming for.

Dregs would be great as a FFA survival game, but there can be no such thing as a FFA unless they purposely impose a measure to force players to fight/flee if nearby to one another (aka % health drain after 60seconds within range as a sudden death type deal).  If not, instead it will be the main source guilds go to because there are better rewards there than the guild vs guild worlds in a harsher environment.  Because guild leaders will own the eternal kingdom, they will make sure he/she wins the dregs match to get the rewards. 

Dregs was supposed to be ideal for solo players to play, but unless we know more, it will be more of a guild vs guild world for the top guilds, and the GvG world will be for the weaker guilds that can't win in Dregs.  Even if they did a hunger type deal the larger the group, guilds will just split up and try to make sure one of them wins to bring back to guild EK.  The Faction vs Faction and god's war factions will be more for solo/squad players at this rate along with the even weaker guilds that can't do well in the richer resource worlds of GvG or Dregs.

Yes, I am still looking for a guild to play Crowfall with when it releases into beta and into full game.  I play during some strange hours, mostly 6-9a, 5-9p Eastern time and 9p-6am as well on a few days.  Could help with defending a town created in a campaign during those off hours though.

Each campaign should have different win conditions. Dregs is most likely going to have some very brutal ones. I won't go so far as to say it will last until there's one survivor, but killing 75% of the players in the campaign sounds about right.

Keep in mind this is speculation.

I thought the devs are only toying around with the campaign permanent death idea so far, so... It's not a Battle Royale. There needs to be some sort of points or kill counter or whatever to evaluate the "winner".

My understanding is that it essentially works like the Guild vs Guild realm, only with friendly fire on, so that people have to be careful where they aim and move or they'll hurt their own team.  I also understand that the larger a group is, some sort of hunger/feeding mechanic will make it harder to sustain larger numbers at the same time, thus crippling zergs and allowing only well-organized large teams to deal with the issue.

I think that would be a strange concept in this action based combat. In the videos there were already a decent amount of ground AOEs firing off I don't think that would be fun. Also, if I am in a guild and not the guild wins the campaign but only a single player or a group of some then this might cause some severe social problems for your guild life. Weird concepts...

I too am curious on the Dregs winning conditions. Either-way most of the resources and materials gathered in any campaign are (or at least should be)  going to go towards building your guild's Eternal kingdom vendors/weaponsmiths/etc. Even if one person gets all the spoils it should be a substantial amount that a guild should be able to use to advance it's members. It's not like you can't trade and reward your MVP's after each campaign.

I thought the devs are only toying around with the campaign permanent death idea so far, so... It's not a Battle Royale. There needs to be some sort of points or kill counter or whatever to evaluate the "winner".

I think that would be a strange concept in this action based combat. In the videos there were already a decent amount of ground AOEs firing off I don't think that would be fun. Also, if I am in a guild and not the guild wins the campaign but only a single player or a group of some then this might cause some severe social problems for your guild life. Weird concepts...

I hate the fact that attacks are cone/aoe based.. it seems to me they are simply trying to appeal to the 10 year olds that don't know how to coordinate their attacks.

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

I too am curious on the Dregs winning conditions. Either-way most of the resources and materials gathered in any campaign are (or at least should be)  going to go towards building your guild's Eternal kingdom vendors/weaponsmiths/etc. Even if one person gets all the spoils it should be a substantial amount that a guild should be able to use to advance it's members. It's not like you can't trade and reward your MVP's after each campaign.

I hate the fact that attacks are cone/aoe based.. it seems to me they are simply trying to appeal to the 10 year olds that don't know how to coordinate their attacks.

They're changing it. Pretty much everything we've seen are placeholders, including the telegraphs. They're aiming for a system similar to Tera's.

This especially worries me because the Dregs are all we are getting so far. I mean it's cool to have an opportunity to play in a harsh setting but if it's the only option then I'd like to have some insights on the planned game mechanics before I start throwing money at my screen. If it's "the winner takes it all" then all strategic elements will become null and void and stealth classes will dominate the crap out of the game. A full-loot-high-risk-high-reward system can be cool if done right but there is strangely few information on what exactly the core is available so far. This just rises my skeptics meter by one.

These are some really good questions, considering Dreggs may be the only option.  If only 1 guy wins, or 1 guild wins, it may be very difficult for the average joe or average group to bring home any resources to their EK.  I definitely would like to hear more information because right now it sounds like a win or die situation, which means people quitting and game slowly dying.

Maybe a PK count or something... I'll just go there with a bunch of friends and try to find some people alone - yeah, I'm a biatch and I'm just too used to RuneScape's Wilderness.

Edited by BaSkA

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

I see the dregs coming down to discipline. I envision a realm where you cannot join a guild or faction. That's not to say guilds won't be there, it's that they will really need to be disciplined and keep track of friends and foes either through voice chat(ts) or by some other means.

QgGGP67.gif

These are some really good questions, considering Dreggs may be the only option.  If only 1 guy wins, or 1 guild wins, it may be very difficult for the average joe or average group to bring home any resources to their EK.  I definitely would like to hear more information because right now it sounds like a win or die situation, which means people quitting and game slowly dying.

Yeah, that is the main gripe I have at the moment with the game. I mean, survival style games can be really cool, even or especially with a harsh rule set. But since you can only take resources with you when you "win" a harsh rule set can get very frustrating and might not be enjoyable at all. And if a guild can win the campaign then guess what. There will be this super large Zerg guild that you can either join or you can't progress at all. Even if there are mechanics like this "hunger" that somehow prevents zerging from happening in a way then they will just split up into many small groups. Since the winner takes it all, it's join them or die. Is it just me or is this design fundamentally flawed?

I see the dregs coming down to discipline. I envision a realm where you cannot join a guild or faction. That's not to say guilds won't be there, it's that they will really need to be disciplined and keep track of friends and foes either through voice chat(ts) or by some other means.

Hm, and then what? If you can't join a guild and maybe only one player (or a couple of players) can win... Then you split up the resources afterwards? Playing GvG as a large guild sounds more lucrative than committing to a higher risk with a lesser reward then. And what if I happen to have a guild or a couple of friends I like to play with? Can't I even team up?

I'd like it if they did something along the lines of:

During the last week of the campaign death is permanent(elimination from the campaign)- any player dead at the end of the week or whom scores less then 3 player kills that week is a loser(forcing them to not just hide and limitting winner to at best 25% of the playerbase).  Perhaps give increased rewards for more then 3 player kills.  

Only problem is dedicated crafters would have no way to win.  

Edited by bilun

You guys have a lot of trust in your fellow guildmates ;)

Say only one character can win the Dregs. Say you coordinate, officially or unofficially, with other players. There's a mighty fine winner's purse at the end of this thing... How did you say you met the guy you've designated to win... >:)

Edited by motstandet

You guys have a lot of trust in your fellow guildmates ;)

Say only one character can win the Dregs. Say you coordinate, officially or unofficially, with other players. There's a mighty fine winner's purse at the end of this thing... How did you say you met the guy you've designated to win... >:)

Well, as I understand the game mechanics you have 100 slots in your inventory that you could potentially take home. So if that has to be split up then it will be significantly less compared to a campaign where the whole guild can win and take 80 slots home for each member.

We can wait for them to reveal more information on this, or we can get our panties in a bunch about something we have little information on.

Hm, true. But this information kinda influences how much I will back the game which can rise up to "very much" because I really like many of their ideas they have presented so far but can also drop down to zero if I find the core design concept very much flawed. That's why I am asking and I hope some information is released during the next 27 days.