Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Too many snares and no ability to escape

Frostwing

Being playing a cleric for a few days. I find it galling that I die 100% of the 1 on 1 encounters I have. Not lose, die. I have no way to escape. Strangely while playing a centaur of all creatures. That's right, I can't outrun a human with a knife. How stupid is that?

I am playing a class that, if seen, dies.

That's a group focused class on the race with the group focused racial abilities. You built a group fighting template and are complaining it can't 1v1.

If you want to win 1v1s, use a 1v1 template, AKA another class or a guinecian cleric.

Review your combat disciplines.

Read the ability descriptions and tooltips at every stage of character creation. Add some escape utility to your build if escaping is important to you, or actually play a template that is designed to win 1v1s if you spend most of your time alone.

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

I don't want to win 1 v 1. I want to escape even some of the time. It's ridiculous. A humanoid shouldn't be able to chase down a centaur. What kind of logic is that?

It seems to me that a lot of pvp mmo players want other people to play healers and don't really care if that's a miserable situation to be in. Meh.

10 hours ago, Frostwing said:

I don't want to win 1 v 1. I want to escape even some of the time. It's ridiculous. A humanoid shouldn't be able to chase down a centaur. What kind of logic is that?

It seems to me that a lot of pvp mmo players want other people to play healers and don't really care if that's a miserable situation to be in. Meh.

Centaurs share the fastest *out of combat* run speed with wood elves, but in combat run speed is the same for all races unless supplemented by a skill or ability to increase it. In addition, other races can meet that speed with appropriate buffs. Centaurs, like all other characters, are not intended to escape fights by simply running away from them.

If your objective it to escape, you might want to build a character designed to escape. This means a character with movement abilities, stealth, teleports, or all three. If your objective is to heal people, then perhaps you should have people around to heal. The reason you have multiple character slots is because you are intended to have different tools for different problems, and it sounds like you are trying to hammer a nail with a screwdriver.

Race alone does not confer a bonus to *in combat* movement speed as speed offers extremely significant advantages in combat and is in stead balanced by the discipline and class systems for this reason. There are many movement enhancing powers, and a good place to start for things that make you harder to catch would be any template with access to the Wind domain. In addition, the fastest overall permanent run speed in the game without a mount is gained from the music domain, specifically by empowering Song of Speed with twisting.

Edited by PopeUrban

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

It's funny, within the span of a few minutes on a couple threads, I've seen people claim that the crafting will die and only the pvp part will remain, and people claim that the pvp will die and the game will turn into a crafting simulator, lolol. Perception is a curious thing!

And yes, if you are doing solo stuff, build a class/race combo that serves that. This is one of the most alt-friendly games out there! You can level from 25-30 in an hour or two with your first month free VIP, or from 1-30 in one or two dedicated play sessions. You have six character slots. Use the cleric healer build when in a group, as intended, and use another build or alt when doing anything else in the world solo. Some class builds are simply NOT intended for solo efforts. Simple as!

On 7/11/2021 at 7:43 AM, Wayoun said:

It's ABSURD how this game has made escape so unlikely.  It is why the crafting and harvesting in the game will fail and it will turn into solely a [stealth] or anti stealth pvp game.

correction.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:14 PM, Frostwing said:

So you're running around solo as a healer and wondering why you're dying? Am I missing the point here, or is your group abandoning you? I don't think the problem here is snares, game is a team game, and unless you're playing the guinea pig or an assassin you're a sitting duck running around alone.

• 4 weeks later...

There should be a stun immunity build up. The more stuns you get, the less effective they are. Alt makes you stun immune and should reset the immunity.

That way 1v1 encounters won't be biased to whoever has the most stuns.

Edited by Ildryn
Autocorrect changing alt to put.

I agree that the Centaur run speed passive is lame. It should just be 15% run speed.

It is hard to escape fights on almost all classes. You either need to have stealth or the ability to create a large distance fast, like champ leap. Slows and CC in general are just very easily spammable and abundant.

You can 100% win fights on a cleric if you build it to do do. I actually play a cleric as my solo pvp character.

aeei5jG.png

On 8/22/2021 at 12:30 PM, Ildryn said:

There should be a stun immunity build up. The more stuns you get, the less effective they are. Alt makes you stun immune and should reset the immunity.

That way 1v1 encounters won't be biased to whoever has the most stuns.

This is actually how it works already. The resolve mechanic builds up if you are repeatedly hit with multiple CCs. Resolve reduced the duration of CC or makes you immune to CC depending on type. There's even a minor discipline, reactionary (Shadow, Nature, and Justice domains), that gives you an alternate retaliate that specifically buffs your resolve to make this effect happen faster after a retaliate. Its a pretty good minor if you can take it and are on a particularly CC vulnerable template.

The reason it doesn't feel like the diminishing returns are kicking in is because most players retaliate immediately after the first CC, then are immediately hit with another CC when the immunity wears off. Many templates don't run enough stamina to do another retaliate so that second CC sticks, and in any situation where you're going to take a lot of CC the current armor penetration meta can often mean you're dead before resolve actually kicks in if you're not getting heals or running some defensive buffs etc. With the longer TTKs coming in the next big patch it should be a bit easier to notice the effects of resolve.

If you really want to get out of CCs, consider taking the wind domain. The passive on Escape Artist or Tubthumper gives you faster resolve all the time, Freedom Fighter has a hotbar CC break that grants groupwide immunity for 9 seconds, and the Speedy Retaliate minor gives you a big speed boost you can use after a retaliate to reposition out of range of additional CC.