Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Feedback from an old Shadowbane player


Xaero
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am sure some of these points have already been said.  This is just my observation of the release.

1.  Group of 5 is way too small.  I think we had either 8 or 10 people in a group in Shadowbane.  Since you have raid bosses (and sieges) there should be a raid mode where multiple groups can be grouped together.  Make only the party leader of the other groups show up on the compass to prevent icon overload.

2.  We need a mini map and a better main map (showing where party members are).  The main map feels like a computer resource hog too.  Maybe that is why party stuff was left off?

3. Load lag when players are in the area needs to be addressed.  Is this Darkfall all over again???

4. Not enough NPC's in camps and their AI is weird.  This feels intended to make the game future proof (for low population).  The AI part is where they just stand there for seconds before attacking and sometimes attack you from a mile away.  Not consistent and feels jittery.

5.  Is the developer strategy of the game built around a lower population in the future?  The feel of almost everything yells "we are ready to have Darkfall levels of population".  This could be a double edged sword for the game as a whole.

6. Crafting feels a little overboard with the base resource cost.  I will say this is from a newer player perspective.  I know getting better gathering disc's gets you more materials faster.  It just feels like climbing a mountain in a game where everything breaks fast (drops and vendor items break fast to a new player eyes).  My suggestion is to tone it down a bit.  Less ore needed for bars, etc.

7.  No guild member list in-game?  It would be nice to see where guild members are and have the ability to group with them within the in-game interface if you are on the same server.  Same with friends list.  See where they are (unless they toggle location off) and group up (not just a Murder).

8.  The game engine still needs a lot of optimization.  I have been saying this for years in both beta and alpha.  Several other games that looks like this game run smooth on my computer and do not run my graphics card fan.  They are just as complex as Crowfall.  Crowfall turns my computer into a jet engine even in my own eternal kingdom.

Overall I am enjoying myself.  It has that Albion Online meets Shadowbane feel to it.  It's a lot different than most run of the mill MMOs out there.  I also get to play with some people I have not played with in years.  Now if the sheep would only stay around longer on this one instead of running away to other games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Xaero said:

The game engine still needs a lot of optimization.  I have been saying this for years in both beta and alpha.  Several other games that looks like this game run smooth on my computer and do not run my graphics card fan.  They are just as complex as Crowfall.  Crowfall turns my computer into a jet engine even in my own eternal kingdom.

I mentioned this many months ago when I was running a Nvidia GeForce 960 on an older rig. I think there was some driver updates and tweaking that needed to be done to stop it from happening. Now I'm running with a slightly newer 1070 and I don't notice any fan spikes.

I imagine that a 2000 or 3000 series card shouldn't be having any issues BUT there does seem to be some bottlenecking when loading assets (like the aforementioned map screen). There may need to be some asset optimization in Unity to get those feeling smoother. Or maybe pre-load the map so that a context change doesn't cause any chugging.

I wonder, is the menu scene being loaded additively when the map event is called or has it be loaded and is simply a changing the render camera to display the 3d map?

Blackfeather.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BlackfeatherCo said:

I mentioned this many months ago when I was running a Nvidia GeForce 960 on an older rig. I think there was some driver updates and tweaking that needed to be done to stop it from happening. Now I'm running with a slightly newer 1070 and I don't notice any fan spikes.

I imagine that a 2000 or 3000 series card shouldn't be having any issues BUT there does seem to be some bottlenecking when loading assets (like the aforementioned map screen). There may need to be some asset optimization in Unity to get those feeling smoother. Or maybe pre-load the map so that a context change doesn't cause any chugging.

I wonder, is the menu scene being loaded additively when the map event is called or has it be loaded and is simply a changing the render camera to display the 3d map?

I have an AMD card.  I know someone else that has a Nvidia card that has no issues too.

On a side note I forgot one more thing:

 

9.  We need the ability to put waypoints on the map!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BlackfeatherCo said:

I mentioned this many months ago when I was running a Nvidia GeForce 960 on an older rig. I think there was some driver updates and tweaking that needed to be done to stop it from happening. Now I'm running with a slightly newer 1070 and I don't notice any fan spikes.

I imagine that a 2000 or 3000 series card shouldn't be having any issues BUT there does seem to be some bottlenecking when loading assets (like the aforementioned map screen). There may need to be some asset optimization in Unity to get those feeling smoother. Or maybe pre-load the map so that a context change doesn't cause any chugging.

I wonder, is the menu scene being loaded additively when the map event is called or has it be loaded and is simply a changing the render camera to display the 3d map?

I have a 3080 and the game still runs like crap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I think there was a fatal flaw, ACE listened to an echo chamber for years, thinking it was a representative of the entire player base. Think of the "Focus Group" in SB, and how it detrimentally steered the game. Well, guess what.. years of the proletariat screaming was ignored... and we have ... this..

Edited by Armegeddon

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 4:34 PM, BlackfeatherCo said:

I have a 1070 and haven't had any issues. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe don't run chrome with over 9000 tabs open.

I have a 3070 and will get random lag once in a while but generally it is much better then it used to be. Still get low FPS with enough folks running about, not even actively engaged in spamming pretty lights all over the screen. Considering ACE made note of it in the recent news post, it probably isn't just a minority with 9000 tabs open...also isn't anything new. Can see plenty of evidence of streamers and vids of sieges or just simple fort fights with people having under 30 or 20 FPS.

"Also we’ve seen some people with high end rigs getting less performance than people with lesser computer setups. Both of these are top priorities to get fully diagnosed and resolved as soon as possible"

Edited by APE

 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, APE said:

lesser computer setups

the plebs win! so its not p2w its whatever the reverse of that is? ¬.¬

17 hours ago, Tyrant said:

The Dregs game mode needs a few thousand level 25+ accounts that play in the campaign

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do have to admit one thing: I am running Crowfall on a high end iMac with Windows installed.  I have no issues in-game with FPS or anything.  No issues with being in town with lots of players or in fights of up to 20 players (have not experienced sieges yet).  It just runs my fans at full speed while other games do not.  I really need to build a dedicated gaming machine before my iMac melts (its for my business lol).

Also, didn't the Crowfall dev's use a 3rd party engine for this game?  That could be the reason they can't improve performance that much.  A good example of why 3rd party engines are bad:  The game Rust uses a 3rd party for their engine.  That engines Mac client is permanently screwed because the 3rd party developer wont fix the 5 minute memory leak on the Mac client which screws the game up (Rust locks up ever 5 minutes on a Mac, been that way for over a year).  Its up to a 3rd party to improve performance AND up to the Crowfall devs to implement it once created.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

37 minutes ago, Xaero said:

Also, didn't the Crowfall dev's use a 3rd party engine for this game?

Its unity, they use unity.

17 hours ago, Tyrant said:

The Dregs game mode needs a few thousand level 25+ accounts that play in the campaign

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 9:50 AM, Xaero said:

Now if the sheep would only stay around longer on this one instead of running away to other games.

This is the main key to notice here.....🤔 Yet the game rewards wolves for slaughtering sheep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 3:50 PM, Xaero said:

 I also get to play with some people I have not played with in years.  Now if the sheep would only stay around longer on this one instead of running away to other games.

I think the "sheep" will stay longer when you teach them the game on eye level and educate them to become wolf pups themselves ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...