Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Small guilds can't compete? Did ya see West Dregs rankings?

[SF] Silverflame is a small guild that really only started last week at launch.  Too small to do any real PvP; can't even imagine taking more than an outpost much less even a fort.

No one even wanted us in an alliance.  So a rag-tag band of new players, with no alliance friends, spending almost all our time in voice chat teaching new players to play; but treating Crowfall as a throne war strategy game, not a zerg fest.

End of Spring season and we're in 6th place out of 196.

But way more important for our self-described casually competitive guild, we've had a blast playing this and are having FUN.  Isn't that what matters?

If this sounds like something you'd like to be a part of, or want to discuss an alliance, or just want to hang out and talk CF:

https://discord.gg/Y3msTRm

Edited by Soldack

1 minute ago, SudoInitSix said:

This is pretty awesome. How many are in your small guild? How many are active during your "peak" times?

Our "roster" has grown over 60, just adding new players as they look for a guild, but we've never had more than 20 on at once.

2 minutes ago, Soldack said:

Our "roster" has grown over 60, just adding new players as they look for a guild, but we've never had more than 20 on at once.

This is impossible. I have been told by very smart people that there is no way for a small guild to be successful in this game, nor is it possible to have fun if you aren't in a huge guild. Why are you lying to me? 😃

On a more serious note:

Kudos! I am new to the game, never really heard about it till I saw it on twitch and in doing research before buying there is a LOT of negative crap out there. Good on you and your crew for proving the naysayers wrong on this point.

Big props to Soldak and a few others who really helped organize some stuff and steer us in the right direction for what we could accomplish given the circumstances of GvG and not having a ton of people. Most of the time there are 4-5 people on discord with 12-28 on during peek PM hours. Having a blast while playing so far even if we do get steamrolled every once in a while and can only really see forts and castles from a distance!

1 hour ago, Jubileet said:

20+ players online and 60 total isnt a "small guild" its a medium sized zerg. This whole thread is misleading.

So if 20 is a medium sized zerg.... then a small zerg is what... 10?

Wait you can't have a small zerg. That is contradictory.

Yea. 20 isn't a zerg at all.

2 hours ago, Soldack said:

[SF] Silverflame is a small guild that really only started last week at launch.  Too small to do any real PvP; can't even imagine taking more than an outpost much less even a fort.

No one even wanted us in an alliance.  So a rag-tag band of new players, with no alliance friends, spending almost all our time in voice chat teaching new players to play; but treating Crowfall as a throne war strategy game, not a zerg fest.

End of Spring season and we're in 6th place out of 196.

But way more important for our self-described casually competitive guild, we've had a blast playing this and are having FUN.  Isn't that what matters?

If this sounds like something you'd like to be a part of, or want to discuss an alliance, or just want to hang out and talk CF:

https://discord.gg/Y3msTRm

Props to you but is 6th place competing? Like how far off 3rd are you?

What they need to do is reward guilds based on size. Have a first second and third place for guilds 250 or smaller, 150 and smaller and 75 and smaller. Then your guild of 60 would definitely competing, probably for first, and you'd actually get a reward for your effort.

First off, I'd like to say congrats to your guild for carving out a place for yourself in this game and having a great time doing so. I honestly believe that's the most important thing.

That being said, I'm not sure I'm in alignment with you on your posts intentions. Silverflame is ranked 23 on Conquest and 6th in Divine Favor. I guess Divine Favor is what's important to your guild?

I have a hard time accepting that your rankings, plus the fact that you said "Too small to do any real PvP; can't even imagine taking more than an outpost much less even a fort.", equates to a small guild actually competing. It also seems like what actually put you in 6th place in the Divine Favor category was that your guild got a really high score from sacrificing items and crafting food items of uncommon quality. Your score on power, which was owning forts / keeps / castles was a 0 (which I am just repeating what you said there really).

Knowing all of that, I don't think your argument has a lot of weight. Players are requesting a format in which small guilds can compete in PvP (essentially FvF & Hungerdome). I don't believe that most of these people are going to be satisfied with simply sacrificing items and making food all the time.

I know this was mostly a negative comment, but I'm gonna re-iterate one more time that if you're having fun and that's all the matters. The problem is other people aren't while they wait for FvF & Hungerdome.

33 minutes ago, skribbz said:

Silverflame is ranked 23 on Conquest and 6th in Divine Favor

Is divine favor note important to you? Have you seen the rewards for it? They are just as good as the conquest rewards at the end of the campaign, with the exception for the one legendary reward that only goes to the guild that is top overall on conquest (which is an unrealistic goal for a vast majority of guilds in the game). Sure the actual act of crafting is not super exciting but you still need to go into the world and collect the resources and gold to be able to do that, which involves its own PvP elements, just not attacking and defending keeps or forts. 

I think it is great you found a way for your small guild to compete and do well with the systems ACE put in place. I hope your guild strategy rewards your members well and you continue to compete with the big guilds.

3 hours ago, Stonetree said:

Is divine favor note important to you? Have you seen the rewards for it?

No and Yes I have.

As someone that backed this game for PVP and Conquest gameplay, DF cards which are mostly PVE guild quests, do nothing for me. Even the PVP ones are meh as they aren't something I can individually progress much.

Wonder how this marketing would work: "Come play our Throne War PVP game where you can be rewarded for chopping more trees then your enemies."

If there was a DF system that focused on PVP that would be something I might enjoy. As most games have PVP rewards, gear, ranks, spec lines, achievements, titles, etc that players can earn regardless of how many guildies are online, how many times they get ganked, how small/large their guild is, etc.

Proud of all the members of Silverflame.  It's truly a different game not being apart of the larger guilds.  But that's part of the draw of Crowfall.  With the flexibility of the campaign system I do see the potential for different group compositions and guild styles being relevant.  With this being a PvP focused game it's nice that there is a great need for the PvE elements (I'd say harvesting and crafting sit firmly in that realm) and there is still a chance to compete and being rewarded.   New seasons and new campaigns await to see if this still holds true.  Good luck all.

Edited by Blackdove

17 hours ago, skribbz said:

I know this was mostly a negative comment, but I'm gonna re-iterate one more time that if you're having fun and that's all the matters. The problem is other people aren't while they wait for FvF & Hungerdome.

Sounds like that is a problem for other people. It is a sandbox. They set their goals and they are having fun achieving them.

But some people aren't having fun in the sandbox and some of them just want to bring others down with them. That's kind of sad, your attempt to tell them they are doing it wrong.

Find yourself a few like minded guilds with similar size and create an alliance to push forwards. You are doing great so far, work on team comp with your 20 players and I think you'll be surprised at what you can accomplish with that amount of people. 

Also if you don't know as the seasons pass during a campaign points start scaling. I believe in beta there was a small guild that just took outposts and got close to or if not won by doing that in the later seasons. 

57 minutes ago, SudoInitSix said:

Sounds like that is a problem for other people. It is a sandbox. They set their goals and they are having fun achieving them.

But some people aren't having fun in the sandbox and some of them just want to bring others down with them. That's kind of sad, your attempt to tell them they are doing it wrong.

I'm not "attempting" to tell them they are doing it wrong. I stated twice that they are having fun and that's what is important. Kind of sad you focused on the negative, while I clearly am saying that he's measuring small guilds being "competitive" by completely different metrics than the people complaining about the topic.