Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Free to play or watch your game die

IceBolt

As the title suggest, if they don't go F2P and use VIP as the main monetization system , this game will not last. I would wager not even a year. From what i have seen the game is fun, but its very obviously still in beta phase. Personally i would call it scummy to release this now, but i can also understand their vision, as the game does have soul. But it will not survive unless you get more free play testers. Because lets be honest, that's what this is.

It's inevitable in todays market, people expect f2p games and don't want to shell out up front anymore. They should fix the games issues and add more content first. Otherwise the free hype that comes with a f2p launch will be wasted.

17 hours ago, IceBolt said:

As the title suggest, if they don't go F2P and use VIP as the main monetization system , this game will not last. I would wager not even a year.

And you have experience from developing and marketing how many MMORPG games...? Since you are obviously an expert ūü§Ē

6 minutes ago, ToadConjurer said:

Yeah you're right, the game wasn't pushed out too early. Abilities missing animations, terrible UI, horrific performance, and constant bugs everywhere are all amazing features!

"Devs already ran out of money" is what you said, and you have no idea what you are talking about.

Most companies follow they multi-release pattern now. Release Buy-2-Play on your own platform in EA > Re-release the 'True' launch > Re-re-release it on Steam as another 'true' launch > Re-re-re-release it on Steam as F2P for the 'unchained' true launch > *optional* Re-re-re-re-release it again on Consoles > *Bless Online option* Re-re-re-re-re-release it again in a foreign market

Because 'releases' generate hype and press it's highly beneficial for companies to release a product several times with each major patch, marking the 'True' (TM) final version of the game

Edited by ArcaneConsular

3 hours ago, elowallo said:

And you have experience from developing and marketing how many MMORPG games...? Since you are obviously an expert ūü§Ē

It is a pretty valid suggestion. The strategy has saved several MMOs in the past. 

3 hours ago, elowallo said:

"Devs already ran out of money" is what you said, and you have no idea what you are talking about.

There is no way to determine that once they stopped reporting to SEC. I would say you are correct though since they had ~8mln on hand beginning of 2020, they raised additional ~11mln in that year. Then in 20-21 they received another ~3mln for corona bailout. Thats a total of ~20mln since the start of 2020 to pay out salaries of a claimed ~7mln/year. That would still leave ~6mln to pay for other expenses like rent and such to the end of 2021. None of this includes sales revenue from jan 2020 onwards.

3 hours ago, ToadConjurer said:

Yeah you're right, the game wasn't pushed out too early. Abilities missing animations, terrible UI, horrific performance, and constant bugs everywhere are all amazing features!

Are you talking about Crowfall, or ESO?

3 hours ago, Wrain said:

no f2p.  forget that.

Explain why you are against making Crowfall F2P to increase its population. Is it because you would personally feel burned for having paid for a product and then others getting it for free, or is there another reason?

7ug90hM.png

12 hours ago, macavity said:

Explain why you are against making Crowfall F2P to increase its population. Is it because you would personally feel burned for having paid for a product and then others getting it for free, or is there another reason?

because CF doesn't need 500k players right now.  let the game simmer, they can fix some stuff then start a ramp up in advertising. 

i personally don't want the f2p crowd here.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

That will be bs move. After finishing tutorial I already was looking how to refund this. Crowfall didn't even bother answering and when I went to xsolla they just denied. I knew this was prolly going to happen, but I wanted to be sure that they are going to be that cheap.
If they went f2p it will be major bs as the game even month old. I mean how would that be fair to those who bought the game. And if they were compensate that via VIP that is going to be like: "Ohh hey you bought the game, Here is X months worth of VIP to game that you are not playing".

2 hours ago, jetah said:

because CF doesn't need 500k players right now.  let the game simmer, they can fix some stuff then start a ramp up in advertising. 

Okay, but why do you personally not want the F2P crowd? I am curious about what your fear would happen with going F2P.

In my opinion, I don't think Crowfall even caters to the kind of normal mainstream MMO player, so I doubt going F2P would actually cause a huge influx of those kinds of players.

I think it would bring in an older and more PvP focused crowd. There's basically 0 PvE to do in Crowfall, so all the fans of themepark MMOs won't even touch it.

7ug90hM.png

From a business standpoint, there isn't a chance to go backwards once you go F2P (it's tough to start charging for a game which was free at one point). Then monetary influx needs to come from VIP and in game purchases which leads to a slippery slope of pay to win games.

Crowfall has been out a couple weeks, relax - it's not going F2P anytime soon or possibly ever.

2 hours ago, jetah said:

This kind of gatekeeping is just futile elitism.
"The f2p crowd" is not some culturally distinct segment of the population. It is people that might like to play the game. More players in a game in which the primary content is other players.

Honestly, the game is already monetized as if it is a free to play title, and therefore the usual qualms I have about this transition don't apply. Its kind of hard to be concerned about the addition of an irritation and content drought focused f2p monetization model to sell subs and cash shop items when the game people are paying for has already adopted this monetization model.

Although I've spent more money than is reasonable on crowfall accounts I would have absolutely no problem if the game decided to go free to play now or in the future if ACE decided to do so.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"