Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I agree. If there are pets that are trainable, it needs to not be a complete bore that takes months and months of essentially grinding to get something half decent without shelling out rl money.

The pet system is why I can't play W101. It frustrates me to no end.

I agree. If there are pets that are trainable, it needs to not be a complete bore that takes months and months of essentially grinding to get something half decent without shelling out rl money.

The pet system is why I can't play W101. It frustrates me to no end.

However, if you want a pet that can help you and is worth something, you don't want it to be so easy to obtain. I personally like the grind because I feel like I earned something and that I deserve the reward of a good pet. You don't want an OP pet because it would make the game less exiting and easy, you wouldn't want to be killed by someone's pet would you? That would be a little embarrassing, and whatever they do with he game and pets, I don't care because I think that this is going to be a great game.  :D

Pets=Good, Wizard101 Pets=Terrible. KI ruined pets when they made pet training, in both games it's pay to win based on pet snacks and energy (crowns aka real $$$) and Pirate101 was even worse. Pet training should be fair if anything if not keep them cosmetic. Or if not just cosmetic, have use besides serious combat like ability to be ridden like mounts.

I actually liked the WoW pet system.

Could someone give me the succinct 101 version of pets?

Weeks of "hatching" and grinding mini games for hours at a time to breed and level anything half decent. An entire gardening system behind that to provide a constant XP supply for the pets, or quadruple the time investment. Usually microtransations for "energy" to get any of it done anyway.

Weeks of "hatching" and grinding mini games for hours at a time to breed and level anything half decent. An entire gardening system behind that to provide a constant XP supply for the pets, or quadruple the time investment. Usually microtransations for "energy" to get any of it done anyway.

Oof.  Ok, I don't want a copy of that system.

Thank you!

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

The breeding system was ingenious though! The implementation and P2W aspect is what killed it.

Training pets (very boring and tedious) would make them grow up from baby to to teen to adult. There were 5 levels. Each pet has 10 abilities, hidden, and one becomes active with each level up.

There are HUNDREDS of possible abilities. Some better than others.

At adult or higher, pets can be bred. The new pet will inherit 5 abilities from each parent.

So you train the pet. Breed the pet with another that has abilities you want. Train the baby and hope it inherited the right abilities. If not, delete it and rebreed. Then level it up again.

The system is deep and interesting. The endless training was excrutiating because it's so much luck based, which can be sped up or circumvented entirely if you spend $$ on energy or outright just buy pets that start with awesome abilities already.

Pets for certain classes or races?  Sure, if their mechanics work well.  WoW hunter pets were great, and while it rarely worked right I had a soft spot for my Huntress white tiger in SB.  Non-combat companion pets?  Sure, but let's not go to the level WoW has on that.  Pick or find one and let it be helpful, ala Torchlight.  

wwsigcrowfall.jpg
                         ~For the Honor and Memory of Ahz Badaxe~

Pets were fine for Wizard101. For about one or two pets. Then it got annoying as all hell. When trying to get the pet you want for PvP, you will be in a constant loop of grinding gold, hatching, training, and then repeat in twelve hours due to a stupid cooldown period. And the fact that you need energy to train, which has cooldown on it's own, makes it a thorn in my side. Pirate did it a bit better, for you can just tell your pet to go pump some iron while you farm and tell him to do again in an hour or two. This still does not remove the issue of the time, for the cool downs are shorter, but your pet takes forever to finish his tasks. Plus, hatching is still expensive, and Pirate's Abysmal gold cap doesn't help. I'm not saying they shouldn't be there, but they should level up as the player uses them for combat, Like Cube World. If your pet helps, he gets experience, and you don't need any crappy mini games or waiting. Also like Cube World, give us actual beasts for pets. I don't want a dinky three foot tall Minotaur.

Edited by elemutation

Remember kids, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet!

Pet's would be okay, but I would want them to have a set damage etc that would only increase when the player increases. So a level 1 player would have a pet that would do 5 damage and 2 magic damage. Fast forward and a level 20 player would have a pet with 100 damage, 50 magic damage and so on.

7lXqKFL.gif

pets?

sub or die!!!

subs...yeah, you could call those pets...

am i doing this wrong.....again?

/hides

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

No!  God no!  Not a repeat of Wiz' rip-off system of pets mattering greatly -- waste a fortune and months of your life getting the perfect pet -- only to have them pull a Darkmoor on you and suddenly that perfect pet hurts instead of helps.  God, no!

If there are pets, let them be cosmetic only but I say no to even that.  After all, that's how Wiz' started out. 

NO FREAKING PETS!

Which it makes this crazy cat lady sad to say.  But it just ain't worth it.

Mounts, yes.  Pets, no.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.