Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Psyentific

Goodposting 101: Keeping Forums Clean

Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Edit

Since the Kickstarter is a big success, we're going to be looking at a wave of people coming in. Either those like myself who have only recently joined, prospective backers, or just new members overall. With that in mind, I've prepared a handful of guidelines, so that we can all keep the fairly high average post quality we've got right now.

1. If it's worth posting, it's worth taking the time to post well. You could have the best ideas in the world, but if it's this poorly formatted mess nobody's going to read it. One concept per sentence, one theme per paragraph. If you're getting into super-long posting, try breaking it up with some images.

2. Before you hit "Post", ask yourself "Does this improve on silence?". If the answer is not "Yes", put a few more minutes into it. Likewise, read your post before you post it; not only will you catch errors, you'll improve overall readability.

3. Inform yourself. This doesn't necessarily mean reading the whole thread before replying; Just try and know what people are discussing before joining the discussion. Reading the FAQ helps a lot.

4. Use the Edit button. Seriously, the Edit button is the best thing ever. Appending something you forgot, touching up something here, adding entire talking points, whatever.

5. Take your time. We're not on IRC, this isn't a text message. You aren't magically going to become irrelevant or unheard in the next five or ten minutes. You've got all the time in the world to make your post; Use it.

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

k

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

2. Likewise, read your post before you post it; not only will you catch errors, you'll improve overall readability.

I do this all the time, even with small replies.  Like this one.

Edited by Vydel

sibcrowfall.png